Huffy Cranbrook Rat Bike

GoldenMotor.com

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
Look like I just dragged this baby outta the junk pile. $30 Huffy Cranbrook in like new condition. I scraped, sanded and grinded the paint to bear metal and the hit it w/ muratic acid washed it and coated it w/ a peroxide / salt mix to start some good rust and while still wet I hit it w/ some red, black, green and brown primer spray paint. I then rubbed it w/ a wet rag and let dry. The tires and motor got some wood stain. I then hit it with a hammer on the tank and applied torch here and there and viola! rat bike. I built this for a drinkin buddy who said he wanted a rust bucket.

Last edited:

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
I hear ya. Im looking at some of the old Ducatis and thinking ! China Girls are a staple...boring, cheap, but workable. I cannot afford a maytag motor. sooo .. have to think

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I was thinking a casing with holes in it around the air filter and a rustic look to the engine. Could you do it with paint? That way the engine would look as old as the bike. Right now its like an old chest with a new lock on it.

TheOtherChris

Apr 1, 2012
SE Idaho
I like the look of the bike.
BUT you need to replace the fender stays with something more stout.
There have been several threads about fenders ending up in the wheel with less than pleasant results.

• Sad
Reactions: Jbyrd666

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
I like the look of the bike.
BUT you need to replace the fender stays with something more stout.
There have been several threads about fenders ending up in the wheel with less than pleasant results.
Yuppo . I only use stout fenders w HD mounts. Im avoiding front fenders all together on my current builds

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
dude this bike is sick i've always had a thing for rat rods and this really brings it to motorbikes
Thanx. I did the paint by hitting it w a sander and a grinder, then hit it w peroxide and salt, muratic acid then I hosed it w water then while wet I added more peroxide & salt. While it was still wet I hit it w paint to give it a fresh out of the junkyard look

Isaiah3g

Apr 11, 2011
Monroe,La
Hey man, you did a good job gettin that thing looking like its 40 years old. Real good and not over done on the taking the patina too far.
The dent in the tank is sweet to.

I am digging an old bike out of our barn to throw a little motor on. The only thing going to be shiny and clean are the white walls :-D