Placement of tensioner and chain slack

GoldenMotor.com

Spruce Moose

May 18, 2013
New Hampshire
I just received a new tensioner in the mail today and would like to put it on. I've been told that it should be placed on the bottom bar instead of the top as currently shown. Where exactly on the bottom bar? Does it matter?

Thanks!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
It depends on the amount of 'slack' that is in your chain. Take a look at the pictures on this site ....that'll give you an idea of where it should be. You may have to shorten your chain if the tension would have to be too close to your sprocket.

Good luck!!

Spruce Moose

May 18, 2013
New Hampshire
And the amount of "slack" is measured by tightening the chain around the motor and wheel sprockets? I'm told 1/2" to 3/4" which looks to be 1 to 1.5 links.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The proper way to measure chain slack/tension is to roll the bike slowly forward with the clutch engaged. When the piston comes into the compression stroke the top chain run will go slack. Go to the middle of the chain, between the front and rear sprocket. That's where you measure the slack. How far can you lift or lower the chain? That's where you want that 1/2 to 3/4" of slack, or free play in the chain.

As for removing links; you can't remove less that two links unless you resort to using a half link. I read where you said you couldn't find the master link. Being that you didn't build the bike it might well be that the original owner didn't use a master link. He could have simply removed links then put the chain back together again in reverse of how you break, or seperate one. By removing pins then driving them back in.

Tom

Spruce Moose

May 18, 2013
New Hampshire
I see, then in that case using a grinder wouldn't be a good idea, though if there also isn't a master link how am I supposed to get it off!? Sorry, about all these newb questions.

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I use a thin punch and a hammer. Put the link pin between the slightly opened jaws of a vise and knock the pin out.

Reverse is to press the pin back in, then slightly tap the end of the pin to 'flatten' it a little so that it won't come out. With that being said, you want to be able to have the chain move freely --- no binding.

Good luck!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I see, then in that case using a grinder wouldn't be a good idea, though if there also isn't a master link how am I supposed to get it off!? Sorry, about all these newb questions.
If you're certain there's no master link you'll either have to break the chain or remove the engine drive sprocket. The chain won't come off over the engine sprocket. There isn't enough room inside the case where the chain runs around the sprocket.

Breaking the chain while it's on the bike will be a challenge. You'll have to have the chain on a horizontal surface to drive out a pin or have a chain breaker that will do the job. I'd take a close look and make sure there is no master link first. They aren't that hard to spot.

Tom