Check my build plans

GoldenMotor.com

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
S oI'm saving up for a new kit and want more performance and reliability. I need a few tips, and some advice but I want to start building and riding.

Micargi Touch- I'll add the cruiser brakes to front and back and do away with coaster hub if I can get it out.

Dax balanced bottom half - I've been told Thatsdax is releasing a bottom half with a balanced crank. I will need a piston assembly, and use my current jug.

Manic mechanic intake- this should be pretty straightforward I'll of course port match.

Carb- probably a 'speed carb or an RT'

NGK plug- probably 6 or 7

Jaguar CDI- later down the road I'll add one

Sprocket adapter- the one that livefastmotors sells. Will never go back to the rag joint.

Centrifugal clutch- I heard people cut a groove for the woodruff key is there a link? Would a 36t work or 40t be better? I weigh 170 lbs...

Grade 8 head bolts.

And I noticed somebody from SBP mentioned 65-67(millimeter?) size jets.

I have a good exhaust and I did a little porting but nothing extreme. The end of my exhaust is ported as well. I have a good spark plug boot as well. What do you guys think, a pretty good plan? I'm looking for tips and the like.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Most of it sounds good but I wouldn't waste your money on that overpriced CDI. Check around and you'll find that the most successful builders and the race guys are all using the stock (cheap) CDI. It will serve you well for 1/4th the price, or less.

Tom

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
I'll pass on the jag then. Also I'm painting the head, jug and case black because I don't want to the grease to show. White was a bad choice on my last bike...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mitch,
As long as your gaskets are good there shouldn't be any grease/oil mess. Proper lapping of the cylinder head/cylinder mating surfaces and the same for the exhaust manifold flange and the use of good gaskets and proper torquing will prevent any leakage.
There is no reason for oily residue to form except for normal road dirt sticking to areas where the exhaust exits the muffler.

That said, painting the engine won't hurt anything. In fact black is the best color because it helps to dissipate heat. Flat black is better than glossy.

Tom