Cranbrook vs. Genesis 29'er

GoldenMotor.com

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
So after a little searching I found that both bikes will take my sprocket adapter (for Shimano CB110 hubs) and I like both bikes. I like the looks of the cranbrook more, but seeing cranbroke is a little discouraging. I like the genesis but finding a new fork with brake drop outs may be difficult. Which bike will I be happier with?

**Also I'm tall at 6'4 and I know the Genesis is quite comfortable**

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Well, the huffy is gonna be an easier build from what I've heard. The onyx is a pretty difficult build because basically nothing fits. It's up to you really. I like the onyx but it does have a lot of issues to be addressed.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Neither.
For the Huffy the back coaster brake hub is garbage and the only way to mount the rear sprocket is cupped out against the spokes without the rag joint.
Easy Huffy fans, don't go spouting 12g spokes and such, you could put 10g spokes on it but it's still a beer can hub with BB's for bearings.

The Genesis with the extra spokes and odd sizes is just too much work for an easy beginner build but a rewarding ride if you can pull it off.

I'd say a Macargi Pantera 7-speed and you won't find one in a department store.

The drive sprocket drops right over the hub for a perfectly round cupped in fit, it has horizontal dropouts for easy drive chain tensioning, it has front and rear V-brakes, made of steel with full fenders and just right for a big tall guy (I am 6'2).
~$240 plus you'll want a SBP 1.5" 'small' front motor mount and dual pull brake lever, might as well get an Iridium plug too for an extra $8, you'll feel the difference.

Score a 66cc Skyhawk for $149 delivered from gasbike.net if the sale is still on and grand total is about $440 for a big boy heavy duty fat tired easy to pedal (7-speed) dual brake easy build.

I have a pretty Red one in the chute now, I'll snap a pic in the morning when it's buttoned up.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
You mean the Genesis Two Nine, right? Seems there's an assumption you're referring to the Onyx, which IS difficult to build on, but doable. I'm 6'4", 280#, and LOVE the Two Nine. I was hesitant to build on an aluminum frame due to weight and the abuse I knew it'd get from it being motorized. My fears were allayed long ago; this cheapo Walmart bike is a quiet beast. It has held up to a great deal of unintentional punishment. I recommend you order an unassembled one and have it delivered though; build it yourself. The rear brakepads suck, so replace them. Make sure the rear spokes are tightened properly, and check the rear axle. The tires are OK, but you should expect to change 'em for better ones (700c's are great for asphalt). The Two Nine's down-tube is larger, so I recommend you get the larger front-mount. Like I said, I love it. I have had two potentially frame-bending/snapping mishaps on it, no exaggeration. That frame and the axles have stood the test of time, speed, and much more weight that it's rated for. Check out my pictures and a few of my older posts for details.

Oh, the rear is a 36-spoker, so the drive-spock fits fine.

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
Can anyone think of a single speed beach cruiser with hand brakes? Coaster brakes don't work with sprocket adapter. Somehow they did on my last build without the arm...

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Shwinn has multispeed with v-brakes Shimano hub and derailur. This weekend when your in Walmart go back to toys , thats where they keep the bikes . I think its call the Bayside its even got a rack you could mount another gas tank under, and its gota basket on the handle bars for your school books.