Genesis Onyx 29 arrived!

GoldenMotor.com

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
Unfortunately my bike came without luggage rack, so i'll have to mount it on the top bar, but I don't think it's that bad to put it there.
Just that the 1gal tank did not come with matching hose, so now I got to find a hose that matches the tank, and the carburetor.
More later, as I have now a series of workdays ahead where I won't be able to work on the bike. On my weekend (tue and wed), I probably will be able to do more.

chillphillyphil

Dec 28, 2012
Sarasota, FL
Good Luck with the Onyx, I loved mine, but the rear sprocket was an on going problem. It always starts off true, but it never stays that way. I swapped back to a 26inch bike, but the 29 turned heads and rode very smooth - I'll miss it. I won't however miss the problems with the rear sprocket and the inconvenience of having to special order tires and tubes. You'll need to swap out that 1" handlebar as well.

The rear sprocket problem would likely have been solved by purchasing the large manic mechanic sprocket adapter, but I couldn't justify spending any more on this project and went for something a bit more practical and easy to maintain.

Here's my old build thread if it helps you any:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=44486

Last edited:

chillphillyphil

Dec 28, 2012
Sarasota, FL
What issues did you have with the sprocket?
So far it seems to fit fine, although I haven't taken it for a spin yet.
The centrifugal force and additional force from the tension of the motor chain inevitably slides the sprocket forward. I had even tightened the sprocket down to the point where it had actually snapped wires.

I don't mean to discourage you, by any means. The bike will look great and ride nice, and if you look to invest even more money - it will likely be fine, but it will take a little more patience and maintenance. I myself am not interested in dealing with an everyday rider like that and additionally wasn't looking forward to the pains of having to special order tires and tubes that will of course be a part of regular maintenance.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I'm an idiot. I've tried autozone only so far. Advance auto parts, just checked there is two in my town. any chance you could be hook me up with a part number? I wen't into autozone and all they had was metal and plastic fuel filters. That's glass right? was it just on the shelf or in the back?

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
nevermind, just ran thru advance auto.com and verified a filter selection at advance autos near here. I can't believe that autozone here has not one glass fuel filter bt advance has over 5 different types. just beautiful how some things go.

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
The centrifugal force and additional force from the tension of the motor chain inevitably slides the sprocket forward. I had even tightened the sprocket down to the point where it had actually snapped wires.

I don't mean to discourage you, by any means. The bike will look great and ride nice, and if you look to invest even more money - it will likely be fine, but it will take a little more patience and maintenance. I myself am not interested in dealing with an everyday rider like that and additionally wasn't looking forward to the pains of having to special order tires and tubes that will of course be a part of regular maintenance.
Tires won't be too much of a problem. Very easy to ship, and not too expensive (compared to the fat bike from Wally world).

The sprocket is another thing; with a 41T sprocket, you put a lot more forces on the rear wheel, than with a 32T sprocket. With a 32 or 36T sprocket, less peak tensions go to the spokes; it is more evened out.

But I do expect at least one of my spokes to break somewhere, as 2 of the 9 bolts are angled badly. That being said, the sprocket will still be better with 9 bolts, and 2 broken spokes, than with 7 bolts, and all working spokes.

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
Thanks for the heads up on the handlebars and throttle!
I had paused my work, waiting for the universal engine mounts, however I'll need a throttle system that fits over the 1" handlebars!

Seemingly the included is a 7/8" system. Either throttle system with clutch that would fit 1" handlebars, or a convertor piece that I insert in the 1" bar, that would convert it to 7/8" at the end of the handlebars, just for mounting the Throttle Handle Assembly?

Anyone got a suggestion?

Last edited:

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
Damn!
It looks like nothing fits with these kits!
First it was the sprocket, which does not fit perfectly but somehow I managed to fit it.
Second the motor mounts (wheren't these kits made for beach cruisers???, seemingly not, they're for mountain bikes).
Third, I can not gear the motor, unless if I take a special divider that uses a mountain bike's pedal gears.
4- The throttle does not install on these things (due to handlebar being 1" instead of 7/8"),
5- The water bottle holder can not be mounted together with the engine
6- The saddle is hard
7- There's no out of the box solution for the brakes (no easy fix on putting a disc brake on the front)
8- No easy solution on front fork damping.
9- The brakes of the Onyx 29 brake like CRAP!
10- Engine kits almost always come with sprockets that need to be replaced; so more money there.
11- The 1 gallon tank uses a different hose system than the one provided with the 0.5 gal tank
12- Both the 1 gal, and the 1/2 gal tank don't fit (and can't be mounted on the top bar without modification).

So all in all, it was a pretty lousy purchase, despite all the research I've done about it!

Sucks!
Being tall sucks!
Perhaps there where less problems with a generic 26" bike.

Last edited:

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
I'm going to try something.
Extend the handlebars a bit, by inserting a 7/8" PVC pipe in it.
If everything goes well, the pipe should fit tight; if not I'd enter some rubber bands to improve friction.
It should extend the handle bars by enough to be covered by the handles.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm going to try something.
Extend the handlebars a bit, by inserting a 7/8" PVC pipe in it.
If everything goes well, the pipe should fit tight; if not I'd enter some rubber bands to improve friction.
It should extend the handle bars by enough to be covered by the handles.
at least until they come loose (at the worst possible moment)

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
I'm looking into extending the plastic pipe through the handlebars, meaning they go from the left to the right. Hopefully it will work. THat way they won't get loose, unless if they break.

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
If you want something stronger I will sell you my bars in the pic above. They are 7/8" with a 1" spot for the gooseneck clamp. They are WAY safer than PVC extensions.