Extreme Chain Wear

GoldenMotor.com

BrandonG

Oct 31, 2012
Gainesville
I put a SBP shift kit on my 66cc last week. about 50 miles on it now. today I noticed that the chain going from the engine to the jackshaft is very worn. Like some of the rollers had the right half completely gone from being ground down so much. Some rollers were still there, but very worn, and a couple were gone completely. I have less than 500 miles on the engine. And when I put the jackshaft on, the rollers were worn but all still there. What could be the cause of this? Very low quality chain?

Also, I think my front freewheel gave out today :( Guess I shouldve spent the extra for the HD. Riding the leg beater is scary as anything.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Chain/sprocket alignment and lubrication? If the chain is running true and it has lube you shouldn't be seeing that much wear in 50 miles. Sumpin's wrong. Too tight maybe?

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You'll get many opinions on the 'best' chain lube. Use what works for you. I've had very good luck with chain saw chain and bar lube. It's thick and sticky, lubricates well and doesn't sling off as bad as some other products. But, like I said, use what works for you but by all means keep the chain, any roller chain, lubricated. Otherwise it's just metal against metal and that will cause premature wear, for sure.

Tom