CH80 Engine Kit Review

GoldenMotor.com

scbuzz

Sep 24, 2008
I purchased an 80cc kit off of ebay a while back. The kit had some very cheap parts. I was not impressed. I had several bolts break on me. The muffler was a piece of junk, the cap was welded on and the baffle broke loose inside. The clutch lever broke. Oh yeah, the engine blew up before it was even broken in! It threw the upper needle bearing and tore the thing apart. When I took the head off, I could see that the piston was raw unfinished metal and looked all burred and uneven around the edges. I remained unimpressed. When I began my search for a higher quality kit, I came across Chris Hill and his CH80 kits. They are a bit pricier, but they really sounded like an all around higher quality product. Everyone seemed to think it was a well built engine. I talked to Chris and he answered all of my questions and was a pleasure to work with. I ordered the kit and when I opened the box, I started noticing differences immediately. The first main thing I noticed was that the cheap and easily stripped Philips head engine screws had been replaced with high quality replacements. The plug wire was good actually real insulated plug wire and he also includes the NGK plug. The muffler baffle is actually removable for cleaning making it reusable and not a throw away. The throttle linkage has a nice metal guide which prevents the cable housing from having to make the bend to the grip. He also includes a 48 tooth rear sprocket in addition to the stock 44 tooth (if you want a little more torque…). Once installed, the engine fired right up without hesitation. The CH80 sounds a lot deeper and more powerful than my last engine (and that’s with both mufflers. I used my old one for a short amount of time while I modified his one to fit.). I am still in break in, so the power has still been steadily increasing. Im in the process of tweaking and adjusting my oil mixture. Ill post some more when I have it all perfect. I highly recommend the CH80 kit. It is a high quality kit and Chris is a great guy to deal with. Definitely worth the money. Just thought Id pass it on so someone doesnt have to go through what I have...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ditto.
I too researched and was impressed with Chris Hill's approach to motors and how they should be built. I talked to Chris at length before ordering my CH-80 kit from him and was convinced that I was buying a high quality product that was worth the extra $. I also was made to feel that he would stand behind his word. I was not disappointed.
The kit was everything that Chris Hill promised and I've never regreted the few dollars more that I spent on this well built conversion. The engine is quiet, powerful and does everything I could expect from a small 2 stroke power plant. I was equally impressed with the other parts, sprockets, twist grip throttle, clutch lever and cables. All are above average, at least from what I've read about other less expensive kits available and I've had no problems with any part of Chris's kit. I read a lot of these forums and much of what I see, especially the problems guys have are a direct result of poor quality material and workmanship with these little Chinese engines and kits. Chris has apparently seen the same things and has made every effort to address the deficiencies so prevalant in other less expensive motor conversions. Some of the suppliers out there could certainly learn a thing or two from Chris Hill approach to motor bike kits and customer satisfaction.

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
I thought I would add in my own thoughts. All I can really say is I back up his engines 110%. He puts alot of work into the engines and there very robust. My buddy Scott tried out my engine and he said the thing was gutless. The only thing I can think that could be improved on is the carbs perhaps. There pretty much standard carbs and have very little settings on them. However I do like the air filter design on them. It allows the motor to be driven on wet road's with a back fender of course. I drove my engine all winter long and it lasted the extreme cool downs and the normal warm up. His main goal is to make sure his customers are happy. If your happy then his is happy. It's really that simple.

bikeman6969

May 24, 2009
notheast
I bought a CH-80 From Chris Hill and I love it I have had it for over a year and it just keeps going and going. I had a Powerking befor that and it lasted less than a month {piece of crap} I will never do that again.So when ever anybody ask me where I got my kit I say from Chris Hill it cost a little more but it is money well spent. Thanks Chris

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just an update:
I recently hit the 1000 mile mark on my first bike, an old Roadmaster with a Chris Hill 80 that just keeps on running and has never given me one moment of trouble. I've not had to replace one part of the Chris Hill kit, in fact I'm still on the original NGK spark plug that came with it. Hats off to Chris and his approach to quality.
Tom

Hi to all, My CH 80 is just nearing the end of brakin and runs fantastic. It's got torque and HP my last (cheap motor) could only dream of. And best of all it runs smoooooth .I can't wait to finish brakin her in so I can install a 36 tooth and give my friends Tomo a run for the money. Mooooooove over Moped commin thru........Tom in West Virginia..............Oh and a special thanks to Chris for being an honest buisnessman and an all around great guy.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
Everything that has been said about Chris Hill CH80 is all true.
I know for I have one too. Just finished 2- gallon break-in oil-fuel
mixture and it runs terrific. So far I haven't adjusted anything on
the motor-carburetor, right out of the box it was shipped in. The
only thing I really do is do a bolt snug test after every quart of fuel.
I did replace the china bolts on the chain tensioner and one of the
motor mount spacer did have a burr inside of it, that I had to file
down. Is it worth the extra money- yes it is.