NT carb adjustment help

GoldenMotor.com

Trevorsking

Aug 23, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Hey Motorheads,

I am new to this craze, I have a 66cc/NT carb/44 tooth sprocket kit installed on a Nel Lusso Huffy. Now I know I have read a thread concerning the jet adjustment for the NT carb but for the life of me I can't locate it. I have adjusted my jet down one slot, in order to try to eliminate a bog at accelerating from a dead stop. I do pedal a little (not sure which is the proper way to take off, pedal or no pedal) Can some one direct me to the thread or tell me the anticipated results from adjusting the jets up (from preset middle) or down on the jets

Thanks

Ron

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
On the NT carb, you basically have two main adjustments, the needle and the main jet. The needle has the clip on it (which you are adjusting) and affects from idle to about 3/4 throttle. The main jet alone affects the throttle from 3/4 to fully open.

For the needle, moving the clip closer to the top makes the mix leaner, closer to the bottom is richer. During break-in, my bike ran best at the leanest setting, then after a few hundred miles I find the second to top slot the best for me.

The main jet stock is about a 70. On my 66cc HT that was a little rich and would 4 stroke at high RPM. Going to a 68 jet makes it so I am not 4 stroking any more once warmed up.

There are tons of threads on NT tuning, I am sure you will find them in no time.

As for pedaling or not from a stop, it depends. If you are pretty light and do not mind changing clutch pads fairly often (it is really easy), you can slip the clutch to get rolling. There are those on these forums that do. BUT, the clutches on these motors are crap and not really meant to be used like that, in my opinion. Pedaling to about 10 MPH before releasing the clutch is how most people with manual clutches roll.

I recently went to a centrifugal clutch and LOVE it. Now I only pull in the clutch handle when pedaling to start the bike. I also usually pedal to help on take off, but do not have to and can just be lazy and let the little motor do all the work ;)

Good luck!

Trevorsking

Aug 23, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Thanks for the help fellas, I am still in my break-in period and the motor has run very well except for that momentary bog. I have read many different opinions on the break-in period oil to fuel mixture and I am using the manufacturer's recommended 8oz oil to 1 gallon gas during this period. So I really don't want to do too many adjustments just yet on replacing the jet in the carb until I change my ratio to 4 oz to 1 gal. I have learned a lot from this site and have been fortunate to of found it before I started my build. Saved me alot of time and effort not to mention repairs and/or replacement of parts. Ya'll are great. One thing I wished I had done was to ensure I "trued" up my rear wheel before installing the sprocket. Taking that thing off is a pain, which I had to do a few times to get chain clearance on my 2.35 tires. Thanks again, I have a list of things to check and/or adjust once my break-in period ends and I have added the jet replacement suggestion from Maurtis