worn out max torque clutch drum for the ezm transmission

GoldenMotor.com

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Well i just recently did a long range bike tour. I was supposed to meet up with killer canuck at tobamory and cruise the rest of the way back to wallaceburg with him but i only made it as far as bay field from sudbury ,due to clutch issues. When i left sudbury my clutch already had 1488 miles on it to begin with. The total round trip milage on this ride totaled out to 571.775 miles in five days from sudbury to bayfield and back again. I was about 7 k.m. out side of bay field when i started hearing a metal rattling noise on my transmission. I stopped and took a look to see what it was and lo and behold i sheard of a section of the clutch drum inbetween the transmission plate and rear pully. So i took the whole rear pully assembly apart just to remove the section of the sheared drum out of it,and reassembled it back together on the side of the road.When i saw what the rest of the drum looked like i decided not to take the chance of heading the rest of the way, but to turn back home. Here's some pic's of what the clutch drum looks like after i put 571.775 miles on it in turn i put a total of 2059.852 miles on it since i got it in november of 2011.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
heres some more pic's of what the inside of the worn drum looks like. You'll see how thin the edges are on the drum along with the section of the edge profile of the sheared of section of the drum's most inner edge that shows the original thickness.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
heres some pic's showing the wear on the clutch shoe assembly which isn't to bad overall considering the milage i put on it though.Although the wear is in a concave shape when seen on the edge wise, so i might be able get the bike back on the road as soon as i can get either a whole new clutch assembly or drum, but i'm still deciding on that one yet to see exactly what i'll be needing.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That is awesome WW.......how in the heck did you get it to wear out like that? In all the years I've used centrifugal clutches, I've never had a bell burn through like that, even the cheapest of chinese bells at that. There was something seriously wrong with that Max Torque clutch. Wow!

dnut

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I can't think of how the shoes wore like that !!!
mine have all wore on an arc across the surface like brake shoes
I don't know what would cause them to wear concave like that :(

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
hard to say to be exact there bill and scotto and f rod. i'm suspecting possibly heat caused by slippige due to the really high head winds i've faced this season as well as major hills i've had to ride over during my last tour through manitoulin island? But still i'm not sure. I don't think the weight i carried on the bike was the cause though. But it could be all the factors combind. My average load i carried for my tours is less than 60 l.b. and plus the rider as well as gas carried. I only did straight foward riding covering long distances. But when i do ride through town i do remove the touring load and ride as I usually do and thats just cruising around town.

xct2 cflg

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Are you going to contact EZ Motorbike and MaxTorque and ask them to replace it under warranty as defective?
Please let us know what happens.

Did the bell rub on the Q Matic backing plate??
Your pics are so fuzzy.....:)

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Are you going to contact EZ Motorbike and MaxTorque and ask them to replace it under warranty as defective?
Please let us know what happens.

Did the bell rub on the Q Matic backing plate??
Your pics are so fuzzy.....:)
Come too think of it, that is about where the backing plate would rub if it was, but the backing plate is made of aluminum and wouldn't wear through steel like that. Hmmm......

dnut

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
I do have that suspicion to as well there mb racing and scotto . I strongly supect the inner backing plate may have rubbed and cut right through the clutch drum bell part, thus shearing right through it. Not sure why though?

xct2 cflg

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I do have that suspicion to as well there mb racing and scotto . I strongly supect the inner backing plate may have rubbed and cut right through the clutch drum bell part, thus shearing right through it. Not sure why though?
If your clutch bell was wobbling with a lot of play in the bushing
it would rub on the Q Matic backing plate.

Also there is not much clearance between the bell and the aluminum plate
so if your mounting bracket arms for the rear shaft are off center that would
make the bell rub too.

Did you remove or loosen the mounting bracket arms for the rear shaft?

Look at the hole in the aluminum backing plate, does it look worn?
Probably worn on one side and not round anymore.

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
There's no wear on the aluminum transmission plate at all and no i didn't remove or loosen the support bracket arm at all around the rear shaft during the entire course of the transmissions usage untill bayfield to remove the sheared part of the clutch drum from inbetween the pully and clutch just after it sheared it's self.

xct2 cflg

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
You might want to consider lowering your gear ratio. From what I've seen you say in the chatbox, your cruising speed is quite conservative - barely above the full lock-up point of the clutch. You basically have the tallest recommended gear despite the fact you cruise at 25MPH or less with a load.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I just got off the phone with Quenton about your issue (talked to him about Velodrome's bike too)

as I told you, it is fully covered under warranty :)

we deduced that your rear sprocket might be too small for the hills, weight and headwinds you were reporting (I can't remember what rear sprocket you are running)

Q thinks that it was slipping almost constantly due to slower riding speeds and the slipping caused friction resulting in premature bell wear (with my 72, I can run at <20, even pulling the full trailer with out hardly any slippage)
when the clutch is fully engaged, it has no friction at all, the shaft is the only thing spinning ;)

if possible, could you pm me with your phone#, I would like to call and shoot the breeze as well as help any way I can :)

another thing I forgot to ask in chat with you was, how often do you put a few drops of oil on the oillite bushing ???

a 60 should be fine for reasonably flat terrain without a super heavy load ;)

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
I usually add a good spray down of oil just before i head out on a days worth of riding in town which usually is a short run, but when i'm touring i oil the bushing twice a day.I oil it just before i head out and once more after 5 or 6 hours of riding. The oil i use is kp 57 oil or kp 75 oil for lubricating the oil bushing,which is a high quaility oil that i use. I get it from home hardware out here in sudbury.

xct2 cflg