CNS carb leaks gas everywhere

GoldenMotor.com

bakerbrah

OK, I finally got my 2010 Grubee Skyhawk all mounted up and ready to go...it has the " CNS racing carb" with the blue air filter, 2 hoses on top, one on bottom. When I turn on the petcock all the carb does is piss gas everywhere. I drained the bowl and checked the float for free play...it seemed fine. WTF OVER?! Any advice?
:-|

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Sounds like you need to adjust the float tang to shut off the gas flow. Bend the tang up slightly, that should help.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
The hose from the bottom of the fuel bowl needs to go to the barbed connection on top of the carb. This supplys fuel to the carb enrichenment circuit that takes the place of a choke. You will find the hose will reach..

If the fuel is pouring out the ends then a stuck float is suspect. There are several places it can be sticking. The arm the needle sets on can be bent wrong. There are guides to help you through this, just search them up :)

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I run the cns2 which must be a different carb all together because the hose on the bottom of the bowl on mine is the bowl overflow. Mine fills the enrichment circuit internally, and only has one vent tube on the top.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Glad to hear you got it worked out easily, a float adjustment is usually the first stop in tuning a CNS carb anyways...
I have the same deal as Greg, the hose from the bottom is the overflow so the other end doesn't connect to anything... On my CNS the enrichment circuit has it's own jet which draws fuel from the bowl just like the main jet and the idle jet. I haven't seen one of these newest version CNS carbs yet, but I had assumed it was the same?
At any rate, happy motoring!

bakerbrah

Wow....guess there is a lot you can do to tweak these carbs... just spent way too much time reading a thread "inside the 2010 cns carb" ...noticed you are familiar with these issues Greg! It turns out we do have different carbs, but the issue was tweaking the float tang a few times as you had guessed....looks like I should have hours of good clean fun getting this thing up to optimal performance! However, the issue at hand now is a more basic one, and I am hoping for some advice asap. I noticed that my throttle has way too much free play as if there weren't enough sheathing on the cable. The adjustment at the throttle handle was not sufficient to remedy this problem. I pulled up the rubber boots on top of the carb (one for the choke and one for the throttle) and noticed that while there is a threaded adjustment barrel on the choke side there is none on the throttle side! It seems to me there should be adjustments on both! Am I right?
I could probably move the one from the choke to the throttle, just wondering if they normally have an adjustment barrel for both! I may just see if I can find one of those slotted ones that attach to most handbrake levers and call it good.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I pulled up the rubber boots on top of the carb (one for the choke and one for the throttle) and noticed that while there is a threaded adjustment barrel on the choke side there is none on the throttle side! It seems to me there should be adjustments on both! Am I right?
Yah, my CNS carb has adjustment for both the throttle and the choke at the carb, the throttle cable has adjustments on both ends.

bakerbrah

I mean...it doesn't seem the adjustment on the choke is as important as having one for the throttle, because there is a simple set screw adjustment on the choke lever itself so you can tighten it up there as much as you want.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
My cable was a little long as well, I use a spacer that came in a bicycle recable kit. The spacer had the split down the side to slide over the cable, it worked well.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Even when I adjusted both ends of my throttle cable there was still a bit of slack, plus when I adjusted out the carb end all the way it put too tight a bend in the cable which caused a bit of resistance, so I ended up shortening the cable to fit better.
Shortening a throttle cable is pretty easy, all you need is a soldering iron, some solder and some thin single strand wire (like phone wire). First decide how much you need to shorten the inner cable, then remove the cable from the slide to reveal the small ball end. Then mark the location you want the new ball end to be, then wrap the wire around the new location a few times and solder it in place leaving a ball of solder about the size of the original ball end. You can use heat or hand tools to shape and size the new ball end if needed. Then just cut off the old ball end and your done....