more 4 stroke talk....

GoldenMotor.com

HIEFY

Jan 21, 2012
pittsburg, ca
How big can I actually go with a 4 stroke and still pass it off as a 49cc?? Wana go fast but don't want to bring any attention to my ride. I jus want to at least be in the 40s is that too much to ask?? Haha from what I've heard it may be haha any help or advice??

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
How big can I actually go with a 4 stroke and still pass it off as a 49cc?? Wana go fast but don't want to bring any attention to my ride. I jus want to at least be in the 40s is that too much to ask?? Haha from what I've heard it may be haha any help or advice??
I'd say 49cc......they'll never know the difference. Since you live in pittsburg, ca........that is legal so that's my advice. I run a 50cc 4-stroke and feel like an outlaw laff

dnut

HIEFY

Jan 21, 2012
pittsburg, ca
But from what I hear the speed won't b there nor will it be able to get up certain hills. Is this true? I ask cuz I've seen some of your builds and I'm for sure a fan. And since your obviously a 4 stroke pro.... Is there any way at all to get that little 49cc to b in the 40mph range??

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Certainly there is. There are shifter kits available and that would probably be the easiest way to get the speeds you're looking for. You've already noticed that scotto- is the master 4-stroke bike builder and can likely give some performance tips for a 50cc motor that will also help.

HIEFY

Jan 21, 2012
pittsburg, ca
Nice so how much would one of those cost me? Is it hard to put it in? And will getting it up to the speeds I want take away from its climbing ability??

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
a EZM kit is your best bet i would personally not recommend the 4g . yes it costs more but if you want it last and not learn the hard way like me get a ezm . zpt

Last edited:

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Mr Heify, I'm not sure about getting 40 mph out of the EZM 49cc HS system, but it is a nice set up. I run a 64 tooth sprocket and can manage a long gradual climb but I would have to pedal on most hills. Come to the Central Pa rally in August in Lebanon and you'll get an eyeful of bikes there. Dan

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
But from what I hear the speed won't b there nor will it be able to get up certain hills. Is this true? I ask cuz I've seen some of your builds and I'm for sure a fan. And since your obviously a 4 stroke pro.... Is there any way at all to get that little 49cc to b in the 40mph range??
My brother has a Q-matic and I have a 4G shifter, we both have 49cc 4-strokes. They have "adequate" power, and that's if you pedal a lil bit. 30MPH on straights is not a problem at all. Your gear ratio is going to dictate your hill-climbing and top-speed - to a point. Remember, you're dealing with 2HP.

Nice so how much would one of those cost me? Is it hard to put it in? And will getting it up to the speeds I want take away from its climbing ability??
If you want versatility, you need gears. Most systems are single-speed with varying amounts of slippage at low speed.

Sorry I was also wondering if you guys had any suggestions on the best 49cc to go with to get the best reliability and speed.
GXH50, hands down. There is no better 49cc. But it's $300 or so and either needs a different carburetor or a $15 Staton throttle kit to work. Some people have made their own throttle linkage. The GXH50 may or may not be more reliable overall than a Huasheng in the long term. But they definitely make a little more power.

a EZM kit is your best bet i would personally not recommend the 4g . yes it costs more but if you want it last and not learn the hard way like me get a ezm . zpt
I'm sorry your experiences with the 4G wasn't very good. Yeah, it's a wierd system and needs work to be reliable out of the box. I have 4000 miles on mine in shifter configuration and I love it. Also, I will smoke every 49cc with a Q-matic there is off the line. Smoke em in midrange and smoke em up hills, too. My shifter 4G cost about $40 less than a Q-matic but it made up for that with extra parts and labor. In the end, same cost, perhaps. But I will smoke Q-matics with similar engines.

Mr Heify, I'm not sure about getting 40 mph out of the EZM 49cc HS system, but it is a nice set up. I run a 64 tooth sprocket and can manage a long gradual climb but I would have to pedal on most hills. Come to the Central Pa rally in August in Lebanon and you'll get an eyeful of bikes there. Dan
It can be done in the right conditions. My brother's GXH50 and Q-matic with 56T could hit 40-42, about 8000RPM or so. A GXH50 can take that 8000+ a little better than a Huasheng, perhaps. But yeah, being a single-speed system, the take-off requires pedaling to be brisk. Steep hills need pedaling.

This is motor-assisted bicycling tho. Pedaling is almost mandatory if you're keeping it legal. Embrace it! :D

HIEFY

Jan 21, 2012
pittsburg, ca
Nice thank you everyone for your comments suggestions and experience. They are very much appreciated I obviously need a lot of help due to the fact that i literally know nothing about these things but i am very excited about learning. if anyone has any time I'm goin to put a link to the bike im going to be having made for me in my next message. If you scroll down it is I believe the third bike down. It says "matte black with cherry rims" it has a 2 stroke on it but I will be only recieving the bike with no motor so i can put my own motor on it. I jus have a few questions for you all if you guys have some time. What would b the biggest 4 stroke I can put on it without it being overkill n looking like a motorcycle that the cops are for sire gona wana pull over?? Lol also I am goin to put some disc breaks on it and do you guys see any other mods i can do to it to perfect the ride quality and everything? And also on the post the guy said it has like a 46" wheel base? I'm 5'6 and I was under the impression I should b riding a 26"? So am I missing something here?? Haha thanks for everyone's time I appreciate it. Here is the link for the page the bike is on Custom Motored Bicycles - Motored Bicycles For Sale 2010

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Mr Heify, just noticed you're in Pittsburg Ca. not Pa. Never mind about the rally in Lebanon Pa, although we would all be glad to see you. Good luck with your build. You'll get lots of help here. Dan

HIEFY

Jan 21, 2012
pittsburg, ca
Haha yea idk maybe it would be kew to go check out pa. Never been there before. If I can get some time round them I will for sure consider it. Thanks for the invite n yea I see that everyone on here's really great with sharing their knowledge for sure the best forum out there.

gravitty

May 21, 2011
yosemite ca
hey fellow bikers I thought going to a 4 stroke kit for the reliabilty would be nice but?. I live in the mts by yosemite national park with alot of elevation changes and the 4 stroke clutch and gear box just dont cut it. If I wanted to pedal all the time why would I put a engine on my bike. Any suggestions.

HIEFY

Jan 21, 2012
pittsburg, ca
Well I'm not sure at all cuz as you can probably see I'm asking all these experts on here a million questions cuz I've never had one nor built one yet but am I'm the process of trying it out. But from what I've picked up the gear box in the 4 stroke is known to give out so I've heard a lot of suggestions on switching it out to the Qmatic or somethin like that? Not sure but I'm sure these guys on here will have a lot of suggestions for you.

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
gravitty
Motorized Bicycle Newbie Join Date: May 2011
Re: more 4 stroke talk....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hey fellow bikers I thought going to a 4 stroke kit for the reliabilty would be nice but?. I live in the mts by yosemite national park with alot of elevation changes and the 4 stroke clutch and gear box just dont cut it. If I wanted to pedal all the time why would I put a engine on my bike. Any suggestions.
Hey Gravity, I'm not sure what your local laws are? But I see most states are not the same as mine. And even with that within my state, the police treat it different in different parts of the state. As down in NYC, what I'm building here, they'll ticket you in a heart beat there. Yet I live in the northeastern portion of NY state. The Adirondack mountains. I have already checked it out with my local State Police Barracks. I'll do it again when I'm done building it. As it's already been a year since I called and spoke to them before I started. Alot can change in a year. And I'd rather be safe than ticketed. As the officer said to me, they won't except a pile of junk. And locally here, we only have one other build that has been running here almost 20 years. Tri-City area, total population about 120,000. I see Ca. as your state, you might want to discuss the point with your local State Police like I did. Course here in New York, we have nothing on the books speaking of law governing them and my posts there New York laws ...

Our terrain is quite simular. Long winding mountains roads that some actually gain a 12 / 12 pitch. I use as an example, the Mohawk Trail and that of Equinox. About 8 miles of 12 / 12 pitch coming up the Mass. side. You can see the Ocean on the other side of Mass. on a clear day from the top on the New York border. Let alone places like WhiteFace, Algonquian, Spruce, Buck, ect., ect.,.. Why I went for the Pedator 6.5 hp / 212cc. Yet the tweaks I'm shooting for are different then anyone elses build here. Rather I gain them or not, that remains to be seen. This being wider engine then most limits the point of an oversized peddle crank. This as the HF pedator rotation is counter clockwise. This leaving the widest portion right where the cranks normally come.

There are three ways I know of to be able to point the head forward. Reversing the engine rotation itself. OR Making my own jackshaft which needs two meshing rollers meeting with input power coming in on one roller and output power coming off the other roller then read ward to the rear wheel or Wheels (Could be a trike). OR Lastly a worm drive. Presently, I have been digging in on all the knowledge I can gather on the worm drives. I got about enough down now to start calling those that build to suite worm drives to confirm what I've already learned. Also to check out how much it'll cost. It's my belief this being the soundiest direction to go if at all possible. And more than likely the most expensive. Plus I'm not looking for speed, looking at that same type mountain road of power you speak of. There is one other worm drive on a build here that gave me the idea - Most insane Trike ever....by Scotto..

Only got my first two pieces together so far. Yet, even though the peddle crank is all the way forward on what I've purchased from Bicycles Designer's Stretch Cruiser Z2 and the Harbor Frieght (chinesse) engine, you can see the difference in what I speak of in the head facing forward or back. Either way, just taking my time in examining all the possible options.. Hope this helps!

.shft.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Here's a couple more ideas about reversing drive train rotation withour altering the engine.
I did it by mounting a large 3" friction drive wheel on a jacjshaft bolted under the seat stays.
Another ingenius method I saw was a chain from motor clutch to a remote idler, with a jackshaft sprocket mashed against the OUTside of the chaining.

DSC_1561.JPG

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
Yes, saw the friction drive under the seat. But desired a locking point such as a gear, hence what I was saying about meshing rollers. As the friction drive can have problems of slippage if in the rain on such an incline. Why I'm waiting on Scotto's neighbors input, this of a worm drive. Scott told me he'd be sitting down with him Thursday and getting back here Friday at the Most insane Trike ever....... Scotto Thread.

The point of degrees to pitch, I know well. I built houses for 28 years as a stick framer. This in all three of the types of building styles used in the United States. Is how I paid my way through college and afford four kids at the same time. A few of these roads I speak of actually get steeper in smaller sections, than a 12/12 pitch there in 45 degrees. I'd guess in as much as 5 degrees more. Loosing mechanical traction in one of these spots runs a erie shiver
up my spine. But left me with additional points of cabled disc brakes, wider tires for traction, and more hp geared low.

If you never been in the northern Rockies or the Adirondacks I can understand why you wouldn't know. Liken that to Mt Scott in Oklahoma. This beside Medicine Creek. Mt. Scott would be considered a hill here or in the Rockies. Which runs about 25 to 30 degrees at about a 6/12 pitch. Even a couple of the roads in San Fransico running up from China town are, if not just about a 12/12 pitch. Of that which runs up over viewing the Wharf. Probably closer to a 10/12 pitch or there inbetween.

Thank you very much for your input, Wayne-Z & Ibedayank. As we all know, in through the input is where new processes of thought are gained, and new and exciting innovations are coming from. Simply said, what makes this forum and it's members a intricate part in development.
I almost forgot, the point of reversing the engine rotation with the point of the engine alone. This would be held as a last ditch effort. As most engines these days are computer designed. I figure the HF Pedator 6.5hp to be no different. With looking at longivity, my "guess" would be that reverse it's rotation could very well have a long term detrimental effect. Things like changing crank case oil distribution.
.shft.

Last edited:

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Hello Friends,I thought about worm drive,the problem with that type of gear arangement is when input rotation stops,output will stop dead or lockup....I learned this at a very young age while playing with slotcars!.... one car I built had wormdrive and it would not "coast" like a pinion and spurgear setup type car. I think that You should drop the 212cc and get the 420cc predator!.... looks like lots of room with the jug foward mounting!....Try looking at oldminibikes.com there is a build-off going on and there is a bike with the 420 in that type of mounting and He's working on a gearbox for it,lot of good ideas out there, just gotta find the right one to solve this drive line setup! ....By the way I like that color,nice!....Tigmaster....