99cc Predator Build

GoldenMotor.com

mesmith

Jun 30, 2011
United States
I have a Facebook page: Central Illinois Motorized Bicycles. Check it out, I have more pictures on it. I'm going to ride my bike down to Clinton this summer, maybe we could meet somewhere.rmfla
Hey that sounds cool, I checked out your sight, very nice bike. I'd love to take a trip this summer, let's stay in touch, Mike

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
Here is what I did. The picture is a little fuzzy but I think it will do. I removed the governor and used the hole as a pivot.
When taking close-up pictures, pretty much anything closer than about 1-1/2 feet, there is a setting on your camera called "macro" that you need to turn on. It's usually denoted by a picture of a flower. With this setting turned on, your camera will now focus properly, sometimes even as close as 1/2" away.

Helplessoldman

Jan 7, 2012
Peoria, IL
I believe I bought this Q-matic Transmission from a gentleman in Canada named Blow-by-You (Terry Blow) nice guy. You can get on face book and look up Phoenix motorized bikes and find a guy named Richard Hulmett he sells them also. Many sell them all over the country. Just type in Q-Matic in the search line. Wish you well, I enjoyed building mine. Oh yes, I forgot, Who ever you order from tell them you are building a HF 99cc and they will send you the right Transmission. I had one for the 49cc chinese 4 stroke and I had to do a lot of internal changes. Good Luck and keep in touch.usflg

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I believe I bought this Q-matic Transmission from a gentleman in Canada named Blow-by-You (Terry Blow) nice guy. You can get on face book and look up Phoenix motorized bikes and find a guy named Richard Hulmett he sells them also. Many sell them all over the country. Just type in Q-Matic in the search line. Wish you well, I enjoyed building mine. Oh yes, I forgot, Who ever you order from tell them you are building a HF 99cc and they will send you the right Transmission. I had one for the 49cc chinese 4 stroke and I had to do a lot of internal changes. Good Luck and keep in touch.usflg
H.O.M.,
I also have the Qmatic on the HS engine and would like to swap out the engine for the 99 Predator as I think it will give me the hill climbing capability which will make my 50 Panther just right for my riding conditions. I'm interested to know what changes you had to make to the transmission. A little thread on this modification would be much appreciated and I'm sure others would also find it helpful. Can you describe what you did? Do you have any photos of the modifications? Thank you,
SB

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Silverbear I think the mods needed are a different clutch and mounting holes. Contact Quentin he can set you strait, hes not on this forum anymore though. Try an e-mail through his site or try the other site.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Quenton actively posts on the forum here still...
No, Quenton got banned. Silverbear, I'm changing my 49cc EZ for a 99cc now. The clutch stays the same. Use the top front hole & pivot the engine to line it up to drill the other 3 holes. the idler has to be moved 1/4 inch back & 1/4 inch down. Use an adjustable front pulley. & I'll have to check on belt size. It's on paper in my garage.
Jay

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think it's the same clutch, but the springs or something or other are adjusted differently so the clutch will engage sooner, necessary because the HF engine runs at lower RPMs. I think that's the case anyway. I'm hoping this is something I could do myself. Maybe H.O.M. can set me straight. I hate to bother Quenton. That is one hard working guy.
SB

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I think it's the same clutch, but the springs or something or other are adjusted differently so the clutch will engage sooner, necessary because the HF engine runs at lower RPMs. I think that's the case anyway. I'm hoping this is something I could do myself. Maybe H.O.M. can set me straight. I hate to bother Quenton. That is one hard working guy.
SB
Quenton told me yesterday that the clutch spring stays the same because with the larger front pulley it makes up for the lower RPM of the 99cc. The belt is AX 26 with the adjustable pulley.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
No, Quenton got banned. Silverbear, I'm changing my 49cc EZ for a 99cc now. The clutch stays the same. Use the top front hole & pivot the engine to line it up to drill the other 3 holes. the idler has to be moved 1/4 inch back & 1/4 inch down. Use an adjustable front pulley. & I'll have to check on belt size. It's on paper in my garage.
Jay
Ha, we were writing at the same time. Sounds like what I had to do when I got an earlier version of the Q'matic from Quenton to use with the 79cc HF. I had to relocate mounting holes and move the idler. Not a great big deal. So the clutch does not need to be modified? That's good. I used an adjustable pulley from Granger I think it was. About $25.00 if I remember right. Are you doing a thread on the modification?
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Quenton told me yesterday that the clutch spring stays the same because with the larger front pulley it makes up for the lower RPM of the 99cc. The belt is AX 26 with the adjustable pulley.
Excellent. Is the pulley from Granger? Do you have a link? Where did you get the belt or is that commonly available... I suppose it is. Thanks,
SB

Helplessoldman

Jan 7, 2012
Peoria, IL
Hey Silverbear, I did not have to change out my clutch or the springs or even move the idler. All I did was put on an adjustable pulley from Granger(3.25 or 3.50!). Now for the best part I live in Peoria, IL and it's hilly here I had a 2 stroke which ran very well but would not pull all the hills without peddling so I went to a 4 stroke 49cc HS with a Q-Matic trans. Still would not pull hills very good. So I bought a 99cc HF and hooked it up to the same Q-Matic that came off the 49cc HS. The front adjustable pulley is running at about 2.75 inches with the origanal 5 inch rear pulley and finally a 62 tooth rear sprocket. I can now climb all hills in this area and if I want I can reach 38 MPH on the open road. I have a Facebook page: Central Illinois Motorized Bicycles. Check it out. I'll post pictures..shft.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Silverbear, I did not have to change out my clutch or the springs or even move the idler. All I did was put on an adjustable pulley from Granger(3.25 or 3.50!). Now for the best part I live in Peoria, IL and it's hilly here I had a 2 stroke which ran very well but would not pull all the hills without peddling so I went to a 4 stroke 49cc HS with a Q-Matic trans. Still would not pull hills very good. So I bought a 99cc HF and hooked it up to the same Q-Matic that came off the 49cc HS. The front adjustable pulley is running at about 2.75 inches with the origanal 5 inch rear pulley and finally a 62 tooth rear sprocket. I can now climb all hills in this area and if I want I can reach 38 MPH on the open road. I have a Facebook page: Central Illinois Motorized Bicycles. Check it out. I'll post pictures..shft.
That's very good to hear. I'm going to do it this summer and will be watching for the HF engine to come on sale in the meantime. This should give my Panther some snarl. It will be a 'Predatory Panther' Ha!.
I don't do facebook as i waste enough time right here already. Any chance of posting photos here?

Jay & Bill, thanks for the links.
SB