Mount Angle for HT Bicycle Engine - 1st 4-stroke build ;-}

GoldenMotor.com

Bubba-1

Aug 12, 2011
Wisconsin
Re: Mount Angle for HT - 1st 4-stroke build ;-}

I ended up doing the grinder trick with the motor mount too. I also cut off the choke lever and shortened it up and reattached it with a mini torch and a small sheet metal screw down into it. Works like a dream.

Wasn't the general consensus with the kit chains that they last about 100 miles? I'm at 80 now and it gets sloppy quick.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

I ended up doing the grinder trick with the motor mount too.
I'm glad that trick helped you.
That's why we share those things here ;-}
I also cut off the choke lever and shortened it up and reattached it with a mini torch and a small sheet metal screw down into it. Works like a dream.
sweet, thanks for the tip, I may have to try that next time.
Wasn't the general consensus with the kit chains that they last about 100 miles? I'm at 80 now and it gets sloppy quick.
Regular bicycle chain like the kit chains do tend to wear quickly, I just start with Z-Chain, the HD BMX stuff is the best I have found so far but it is tricky to get it with 120 links, they are usually only 80 or so.

So how do you like your ride Bubba?

Bubba-1

Aug 12, 2011
Wisconsin

It's my main mode of transportation. (had a stroke and can't drive a vehicle) It runs great. Think I need to richen it up a little now that the temps have dropped here in Wisconsin. It maxes out at 32mph on a flat straight away, had a friend do that one. It pulls hills awesome. The engine seems to be at its peek harmonic resonance between 18 & 22 mph. Above and below that though it is smooth as butter.

.shft.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan

I observed the same thing - between approx 4250 and 4750 RPM is when maximum noise and vibes occur on my HS.

Sadly, that's 21-24 MPH with my gearing. Can't really cruise at those speeds unless I have a steady tailwind. But 25-28 does the job.

The engine seems to be at its peek harmonic resonance between 18 & 22 mph. Above and below that though it is smooth as butter.

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA

Questions regarding HS 4stroke install: How do I install the 4G transmission to the engine? Do I just directly bolt it onto the engine? Is there anything I have to install in the transmission or engine side prior to mounting? How do you drain the oil from the crank case? Is there an oil drain plug, or do I have to remove the whole engine just to drain the oil from the filler cap? How exactly do I wire the kill switch? The wires from the engine has a R/C tamiya style female plug, while the throttle kill switch wires are the connectors found on the standard 2 stroke HT engines. The instructions that came with the kit completely random and doesn't really provide step-by-step procedures for installing the kit. Thanks.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008

Questions regarding HS 4stroke install: How do I install the 4G transmission to the engine? Do I just directly bolt it onto the engine? Is there anything I have to install in the transmission or engine side prior to mounting?
What 4G kit did you buy and where? It's pretty much a simple bolt-on, but securing the clutch is different between several kits. It's not complicated at all, should be straightforward looking at it.

How do you drain the oil from the crank case? Is there an oil drain plug, or do I have to remove the whole engine just to drain the oil from the filler cap?
There's a drainplug. The frame clearance you have dictates whether or not you have to remove engine from bike to change oil. You can always install a remote drain or make one yourself for under $10.

How exactly do I wire the kill switch? The wires from the engine has a R/C tamiya style female plug, while the throttle kill switch wires are the connectors found on the standard 2 stroke HT engines.
There should be a killswitch already on the engine. If you want to use a different one, then you run the factory killswitch wire to throttle killswitch, and then other wire to ground on engine.

No problem! :D

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA

What 4G kit did you buy and where? It's pretty much a simple bolt-on, but securing the clutch is different between several kits. It's not complicated at all, should be straightforward looking at it.
It's a Grubee Skyhawk 4G kit bought from rawmotors, which apparently got bought by gasbike (nationwide access LLC). You were right, it was a straight bolt-on job. The photocopy manual showed how to adjust the clutch and transmission (tensioning the belt, adjusting the bearings, etc). So I assumed I had to set those up prior to mounting the transmission.

There's a drainplug. The frame clearance you have dictates whether or not you have to remove engine from bike to change oil. You can always install a remote drain or make one yourself for under $10.
I see the drain bolt now, didn't notice it earlier for some reason. It does seem like I would have to remove the engine, since the drain bolt is so close to the engine mounting plate that I cannot get anything underneath it to catch the oil. How exactly would I install a remote drain?

There should be a killswitch already on the engine. If you want to use a different one, then you run the factory killswitch wire to throttle killswitch, and then other wire to ground on engine.
Turns out, there are no other switches on the Huasheng 4 stroke engine. It just has two wires that come out and terminate in a Tamiya R/C style female plug. I just spliced the killswitch wire to the black wire from the engine and it worked.

Now it seems the throttle cable is a little too short; the resting position of the throttle cable leaves the carb lever slightly open. I tried adjusting the cable, but can't seem to get it any longer.

The engine seems to be slightly weaker than my original 2 stroke engine that died. Going up the same hill, the old 2 stroke would pull me up at 18mph, while the 4 stroke HS only does 15mph. Is there a break-in period for the 4-stroke engine? Would adjusting the centrifugal clutch provide more torque/power? How would I go about increasing the top speed? I top out around 30mph, while with the 2stroke, i can top out at 34mph.

Thanks again. :)

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008

I see the drain bolt now, didn't notice it earlier for some reason. It does seem like I would have to remove the engine, since the drain bolt is so close to the engine mounting plate that I cannot get anything underneath it to catch the oil. How exactly would I install a remote drain?
Drainzit #1010 or get a 10MM bolt, cut it down to 1" long with no head, drill a hole through middle, and hoseclamp a hose with a petcock on the other end. Either way, it screws into where the drain plug is. Point at receptacle and you have remote oil drain. Note i never said remote control :p

The engine seems to be slightly weaker than my original 2 stroke engine that died. Going up the same hill, the old 2 stroke would pull me up at 18mph, while the 4 stroke HS only does 15mph. Is there a break-in period for the 4-stroke engine? Would adjusting the centrifugal clutch provide more torque/power? How would I go about increasing the top speed? I top out around 30mph, while with the 2stroke, i can top out at 34mph.
Well, that's pretty average. The Huasheng/Titan is less powerful than a HT66, let alone one that is ported and piped. The HS does make more low-end torque tho, and it's a good deal more reliable. Just keep it under 7500 or so and it should last a few thousand miles at least.

Thanks again. :)
NP

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA

and you blew up the HT so what does that say about running a motor flatout all the time
Very true. I should back off a little on the WOT. Just too much fun to cruise at 33mph.

And yet another problem: The one-way bearing on the 4G transmission blew out just after 5min of riding. How do I go about fixing this? I have no idea how to remove the large pulley wheel. I am guessing welding the bearing solid is the cheapest fix. I am also thinking about the solid pulley kit with freewheel sprocket option as well. How exactly would I go about doing this?