Taylar BTR1R First Images, Vert Speedster

GoldenMotor.com

Tre_in_L.A.

May 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

As the new Taylar racer nears completion, I thought I'd post some pics of Dan Orabona's fine craftsmanship. He really has an eye for correct proportion and balance, IMO. Fit and finish is outstanding.

The powerplant is the discontinued Harbor Freight Greyhound 6.5 HP 200cc single, mounted vertically to a little more correctly ape the engine mounting style and look of period motorcycles from 1890-1920

Affordable Go Kart supplied the 22mm Mikuni VM Round Slide carb with intake manifold, hose routing and bracket braces made my us, straight pipe exhaust with our own rolled megaphone, .264 lift cam, billet con rod, Honda flat top piston, 26 LB valve springs and CVT torque converter. We removed the SLG, OEM fuel tank, shrouds and any other non essential bits on this motor. Lapped in the valves and inspected tolerances generally. This work probably took the better part of one long day. We also removed the valve cover and installed a barbed fitting for cylinder head venting to catch bottle. Poured in some 30wt oil and fired the engine with the correct NGK EG (fine wire) plug. Timing is not currently advanced, we left it OEM for now until load testing begins.

The engine has a nice somewhat lopey running sound at idle on the test bench. This little engine is unreasonably loud past idle - is that good or bad? Throttle response is quite crisp but will need to further evaluate jetting as we proceed with track testing.

With the SLG removed, we decided to, (soon) install a flywheel upgrade before running much past 4K r/min. Better to be safe than sorry as this iron flywheel has not been NDT or magnafluxed.

The chassis finishing plan is currently to gun blue with correct procedure and apply water slide graphics to fuel tank and brush on specialty (bonds to steel)clear coat over tank as was the technique originally as from the Excelsior, Merkel, Harley, Indian etc. factories. Seat pan to be covered in tooled leather.

Dan's work fabricating the locking tool box is really the finishing touch on this machine and just exceptional.

Very pleased. Nice work, Dan at Taylar Cycles, Victorville, CA
And big hugs to Affordable Go Kart for exceptional, quality parts, fair prices, swift delivery and outstanding customer service - why go anywhere else?

Tre_in_L.A.

May 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Well, I'm entered in the Grange race, but I'm right now stuck on a job in Phoenix . Grange is very, very doubtful.

I did just challenge SportsCarPat to a meet on the salt, though - with his new Clone racer. ;-)

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I did just challenge SportsCarPat to a meet on the salt, though - with his new Clone racer. ;-)
That was a challenge? Nice looking build. You guys are doing nice work. Gun blue finish on the frame sounds cool. I'm getting my frame nickel plated and leaving the stainless tanks in a raw finish. Who needs paint anyway, it just hides nice metal work.

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA
Tre, where'd you get that small chain ring? Did you have to modify it to work on the wide crank spindle? I really like the small sprocket Pat designed for his build using the heavy chain too. I haven't had any luck finding a small chain ring to use with the wide spindle. The smaller sprocket is great for more engine clearance and easier pedaling.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That bike is really sweet Tre.....I like everything about it! And ditto that on AGK, they gots the goods and the service to go with it. More pics of the build please.....

dnut