OT- Motorcycle ride.

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I just got back from a road trip. I wanted to ride U.S. Route 6 U.S. Route 6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia from the Ohio/Pa. border, to it's end in Provincetown, MA.

I did it, in three days- two out and one back. 1500 miles total, roughly 775 of that in one day. Ouchy....I wasn't on a Goldwing or BMW touring bike, I was on my VL800 Suzuki. vl800 - Google Search

I got rained on from 10:00 am until 8:30 pm on Tuesday, still it was not bad, I had my 20 dollar rainsuit from Stearns on, and I was warm.

The first 450 miles or so is through Pa. and the roads were nice and smooth, curves galore and lots of scenery. The part that goes across NY. Conn. and R.I. were small, old towns, with 35-45 mph speedlimits between them...that took awile. Once in MA. I rode up to the tip, or cape, or penninsula until U.S. Route 6 east in travelling west, and unceremoniously comes to an end, and becomes "west 6A" which travels east for the first few miles. Yeah, it was fun.

I said the heck with the long drag through MA., R.I., Conn., and NY., so I "dropped the hammer" across I-84 and covered 5 states in under 5 hours.

Everything hurts today, but I have a couple of photos for my troubles.

Still a little fuzzy from the road, more later.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Oh yeah- the tally.

111 dollars in fuel.

135 dollars in motels- Days Inn was a $#!^ hole, and they gouged me 85 dollars in a small town in Conn. The worst motel I've ever stayed at. Period.

13.75 dollars for food- 3 kingsized Snickers, a Red Bull, two G2 Gatorades, and 5 dollar footlong which I ate 3/4 of.

1.00 dollar toll for the Bear Mountain Bridge.

It was all in all a pretty cheap trip.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I already did that run this early summer. Downt town Gary was uh, beautiful the evening I passed through.

I rode 6 to Iowa (took almost 6 hours to cross Ahia!), it was closed due to flooding and I wasn't going to make a 500 mile detour to "go around it", so I turned around.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Too bad you didnt have time to hang out in those small town diners, they are the most fun of a road trip for me. Meeting the people and talking about their lives.

Glad this one worked out for you.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I did talk to a guy in a gas station about where I was going and why....he got a far away look and said he wanted to do something like that on his bicycle his whole life, but never did. He said He "thought this was it" and that "6 was just what's out there" meaning the section in his small town.

I told him "do it".

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yeah, the roads here in Ahio are not as nice....but Pa. is just 3 miles away anytime I want it.

Here, the secondary roads (10' strip of pavement in the middle of 30 feet of packed gravel) are smooth.

I had to "endure" 450 miles of that stuff!