SBP shift kit or Q-matic

GoldenMotor.com

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA
I've been doing a bit of reading on both products and I'm just looking for a few opinions from people's experiences with either kit.

I'm currently riding a new 49cc HS 4-stroke with a hoot gearbox on a 32 spoke (I drilled holes in the current sprocket and used the rag mount to fit.), 21 speed, Rock hopper mountain bike. I live in an area with a few more hills than flats and currently holding at 230 lbs.

The price for either choice will probably be a wash due to the fact that I will likely have to replace the hoot in short order if I stick with it and go with the shift kit.

I'm hoping to be able to cruise at 25 -30 mph on the flats without redlining the motor, 30 mph is currently my top speed with a 44 tooth sprocket, and still be able to pull the hills.

I don't mind doing a bit of tinkering to debug as needed when installed, but due to a health issue I would prefer a bit of dependability going forward.

I appreciate any input available. Thanks

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Well the Q is very reliable and the Shift kit is a blast.I run the 4G with the shift.Both are smooth and quiet.I think you will need a much larger rear for the Q like 60 ish.I'm sure a few more will chime in on theis topic.

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA
Did you have to do any additional modification with the 4G? The SBP site lists the hoot, grubee II & III as the bolt on gearboxes.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Did you have to do any additional modification with the 4G? The SBP site lists the hoot, grubee II & III as the bolt on gearboxes.
The 4G model that works is the one for the Honda or Huasheng with
the ~5/8" shaft.

That 4G gearbox needs the oilite bushing replaced and maybe the
clutch drum welded up and you may have to weld the freewheel
output sprocket too.

Some of the Huasheng motors that have the geared Hoot box have
a slightly smaller turned down shaft and may need a shim to fit???

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA
I do have the 5/8" straight shaft on my 142F. I will have to read up on the bushing replacement. The weld will be a little more effort as I would have to disassemble and find a local welder.

Neither route will be a simple bolt on as the q-matic would require me to drill out and reinforce another sprocket to fit my 32 spoke wheel, which makes it tough to roll true...The other fixes require more $ input for a new wheel or some type of adapter.

Thus the request for more experienced opinions as I don't want to discover my choice goes over my head.

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA
Thanks for your input Aleman. I think I will go the SBC kit, seems like those who have them love them.

I'm currently running a thumb shifter on my bike and would have to move the back sprocket shifter to the left side. Do you recommend going with a twist shifter or just working with what I have?

motivation

May 7, 2011
Canada
Well the Q is very reliable and the Shift kit is a blast.I run the 4G with the shift.Both are smooth and quiet.I think you will need a much larger rear for the Q like 60 ish.I'm sure a few more will chime in on theis topic.
I am looking to buy a gxhhonda50 and want to have a reliable transmission(is the grubbee stg 3 reliable?, and then I wanted a reliable shift kit, I run in the winter, can shift kits be added on after?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Sure you can add on a shift kit later, but the shift kit replaces your motor mount and cranks. It's basically a full bike rebuild when you switch.

Also, most people who have used the Stage III consider it unreliable - and noisy. It's a box full of straight-cut gears, go figure.

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA
Agree, if you have the money to buy the shift kit at the same time you will save yourself having to tear down the bike and remove the motor to install. If not you could certainly add the shift kit later. I would also suggest considering the 4g belt gearbox, it does bolt up to the SBP kit and is a great combo...it is what I'm running now and It makes for a great versatile ride.