Another Newbie, advice welcome.

GoldenMotor.com

bass4life

Sep 23, 2011
Holland, MI
Hey guys, I just built a Trek Classic / Boy Go Fast 66cc bike and I'm having the usual problems. The chain tensioner dove into my wheel on the first run (luckily under pedal power and no real damage to the wheel) and the rag joint is giving me fits. I'm fabbing a new tensioner that will actually work and thinking of a hub adapter. I'll post picks when I have time to figure out how (I'm new at the forum thing too). The sprocket that came with the kit is garbage. The hole pattern isn't centered in the sprocket and there's just no way to get this thing to run true.

Here's my questions. I like the Manic Mechanic adapter and sprocket but I have no idea how to tell wich chain I ended up getting with my kit. The Manic sprockets are listed as only working with a 215 chain. I need to know what chain I actually have and I understand I can not necessarily go by what the kit description says as the pieces / parts tend to vary from kit to kit.

I'm going to be fabbing the tensioner this weekend and I'll try to get some pics up of that as well. If it works the way I think it will, it's going to be cool. Thanks guys, you've already been a huge help.

zachary

Sep 16, 2011
minnesota
you can always bring the chain to a bike shop and they will tell you wat size it is. i think the hub adaper is only for coaster brakes so hopefally this helps you out alittle.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Here's my questions. I like the Manic Mechanic adapter and sprocket but I have no idea how to tell wich chain I ended up getting with my kit. The Manic sprockets are listed as only working with a 215 chain. I need to know what chain I actually have and I understand I can not necessarily go by what the kit description says as the pieces / parts tend to vary from kit to kit.
Manic Mechanic sprocket adapters work with 415 chain.

415 chain is 3/16" between the chain side plates.

Some of the Chinese chains that come with the kits are slightly
narrower than 3/16" but if you order the adapter and sprocket
at the same time you can get the sprocket made to fit.

MM makes custom sized sprocket adapters that fit hub diameters
from 0.9" to 1.7" so they work on freewheel hubs as well as coasters.

I would suggest that you throw your kit chain away and use a
#41 chain that you can buy from Ace Hardware.

Last edited:

bass4life

Sep 23, 2011
Holland, MI
Thanks MBR! That's exactly the info I needed. I was just headed to Ace to see if they have a chain breaker anyway. I live in Michigan and I REALLY want to get all the mechanicals nailed down before I put this thing in the basement for the winter. Once I know everything works the way I want it to, I can spend the winter making it all fit and look exactly the way I want it to. This is going to be fun.

bass4life

Sep 23, 2011
Holland, MI
Well, my kit did come with a 415 chain, which measures .200 between the side plates. Ace does have a couple different grades of #41 in 10 foot lengths or by the foot. They do not, however, have a chain breaker for sale. Bummer.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm not sure if MM ever fixed the problem?, but his sprockets used to only work with #41 chains (not 415). Sportsman & Kings sprockets both work with 41 & 415 chains.

bass4life

Sep 23, 2011
Holland, MI
Thanks VMB. I'm going to get this tensioner sorted out first. Once I know that's working, I'll decide on the hub adapter and sprocket. Since #41 chain is available a block from my house, I will make sure that whatever I buy is compatible with that. The upgrade to a sprocket that will actually run true would be a good time to chuck the China chain anyway.

bass4life

Sep 23, 2011
Holland, MI
I'm trying some pics again with the help of BarelyAWake. This is a test.

[/URL][/IMG]

Here's a pic of the rough template I made for the new chain tensioner.

bass4life

Sep 23, 2011
Holland, MI
Sweet. Now that Barely AWake has me all schooled up, here are a couple more pics of my progress. This tensioner was made during the post traumatic stress of a spoke dive so it's a little bit overkill. I don't mind that and it's staying the way it is. I still have to slot this bracket and mount the tensioner wheel. I'm going to use the stocker from the kit. I like the skateboard wheel idea and I'll convert to that when this one wears out. I may have to bend an offset into this bracket to move the wheel mounting point further back (away from the chain) to compensate for a wider "pulley". No big deal.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

bass4life

Sep 23, 2011
Holland, MI
Thanks Lance. That's actually why I'm doing all this. This whole bracket has side to side adjustability so I can put the pulley where I need it and have reasonable expectation that it will stay there. I still have to slot the pulley mount for tension adjustment but, other than that, it's basically done and almost ready for paint. Here's a pic of it installed. Now I have to get this sprocket buttoned down. The "rag joint" is just not working out well and I'm done messing with it. I'm getting a hub adapter and a sprocket that's actually round (figuratively speaking).

[/URL][/IMG]

syates234

Jun 14, 2011
idaho
So I have asked around and no answer so hopefully I'll get one here. My motor won't fire. I have replaced the cdi and the spark plug but still no fire does anyone have any suggestions...