Leather grips Question

GoldenMotor.com

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
I would like to put leather wraped grips on my bike, like you do with regular handle bar tape, but how does one start and finish it and still look old? any suggestions are welcome.

Royce

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
On mine, I actually used tennis racket grip. It's a bit thinner doesn't make the grip ridiculously huge. You can kinda see it in these pics.

Now, they're perfectly rattiie and worn in!

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
On mine, I actually used tennis racket grip. It's a bit thinner doesn't make the grip ridiculously huge. You can kinda see it in these pics.

Now, they're perfectly rattiie and worn in!
Flatblack:

Is that a cranny? kind of looks like mine, I have access to a bunch of leather and want to cut my own strips and put them on. I though about using contact cement to hold them in place but it is the inside end and how to finish them off so they won't unravel, something old school type. I like what you have done with your bike. What kind of layback post is that and who made it?

Royce

Last edited:

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Yup. Good ol' cranny. Well, frame/bars at least. New fork, HD wheels, bearings and front V brake have been added since those pics.

If you have access to leather, I'd sew on a pair of grips. That's about as old school as you can get.

The seat post is made by Wolf's Den Garage...that's me! Used some random bits and pieces found at Home Depot.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/accessories/leather-goods-handlebar-grips/elkhide-sewn-on-city-bike-grips.html

I'm sure there's plenty or vid tutorials on youtube to help.

Last edited:

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
Here is the pic of my grips that I wrapped in leather, I'm still waiting for some new bar end plugs to come in the mail to finish them off.

Just cut the leather to 1 inch wide strips and sprayed them with contact cement, sprayed the bars also and applied. Finished off with some thin wire so they would not unravel.

Royce