Calling all engineres and people who own Worksman bikes

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I am in the planing stages of my next build and I have my heart set on using a Worksman frame as a starting point. However I have some questions about the frames that can only be answered by people who have hacked them up and mechanical engineers.

So for my next build I plan to go all out. The goal its to have a bike that is as close the real deal as I can get with, in my fabrication abilities. Which also means serious power.

I have two major question
1. Are Worksman bikes as beefy as they look? What is the tubing size?
2. How much power can one of these frames take before it tears apart?

I know some of you might think that this is totally ridiculous but "we all build for different reasons" to quote Hoodoo. This is just a dream I have that I need to fulfill.

Thanks for you help guys

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I think its ridiculous that anyone would think this is totally ridiculous. Im sure you cant afford an original BTR, me neither. Whats wrong with building one? Good luck. Cant wait to see more

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
The most powerful Board Track bike ever made was the Comet. It was about 11-13 hp range. I don't think this power would require any super human frame strength. I would worry around 30 hp and beyond. Choose your engine wisely. Briggs makes a 16 hp V-twin but it is pricy.

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
how many horses you thinking of throwing at it? the others are right, the worksman is a lugged frame with 1 inch tubing. Honestly i sat on one and it felt small. That is why i decided to commision a bike made from 1.25 inch steel tubing. heavy duty. The HF motors can easily be modified to make 12 or more horses. just add a carb, drop in a cam, springs and valves, and you are off to the races. Not forgetting to open up the exhaust as well. xct2

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm not an engineer, but have put together a number of bikes. Personally I think the Worksman frames are over rated. Mine was put together OK, but a friend had a new one which was lined up poorly when it was welded up and he had to redo it. Worksman wheels are about as good as bicycle wheels can get, but not the frames. I much prefer the Schwinn straight bar frames as found on the Panthers, Motorbike, etc. from the 30's into the early 50's. They still have that early motorcycle/ board track look, have more room in the frame for an engine and were built very well. A good, solid frame.
SB

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
I would have to agree with SB here, i think it is a better bet to look for a vintage schwinn straight bar, like a hornet, or tornado or something like that. Then add the wheels, forks, etc you want and chop and stretch the frame.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Couple more things. The Schwinn frame feels more adult sized. I agree that the Worksman frame feels small when you sit on it and I'm not a real big guy... 6 feet. My Panther frame feels right.
I'm working on an tribute Indian tri-car and needed to have the Worksman frame opened up to fit in the motor I wanted to use (a 1950's Villiars midget which I have since changed my mind to instead using a 2 speed 1932 Fitchers Sachs 98 CC 2 stroke). To make room I cut out the sweeping front down tube from a Schwinn girl's bike and had my welder replace the more limited Worksman front down tube. When I picked it up he wanted to know what the frame part came from. I thought he meant the Worksman... it was the Schwinn section he was asking about. "That's good stuff", he said.
I noticed something else when I got the modified frame home. I realized how much it now looked like my Schwinn Panther frame. I had gone to all this trouble and expense to turn a Worksman into a Panther. I'd have been much better off just starting with the Panther in the first place. They can be found on Ebay pretty reasonably as a lot were manufactured through the years and Schwinn in particular sold a lot of bikes.
Look forward to your build thread. Your last bike was mighty fine.
SB

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Not using the Villiers SB?...... thats dissapointing..... but if the Sachs you are talking about is like Fasteddys i totally understand..... theyre soooo pretty

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I love the heck out of vintage American made frames, especially Schwinn's!

But if you want an authentic looking early BT racer you’ll have to lengthen and straighten the rear wheel stays.

-Kirk

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks for help guys. I found this link and it has a lot a good info for building motorcycle frames. Tubing used for Choppers and Custom Motorcycle frames fabrication

I know Pat said the worksman frames are 1 inch tubing but how thick is the wall?
It seems to me that if they use 1-1/4” tube with a .125” wall to build choppers powered by massive v twins that a industrial bike frame could manage 20hp or so. assuming that the frame was reinforced properly.

I really want to stick to the Worksman frame because of the geometry. It is very simmlar to the JD Harley Davidsons. The bike I have planned will take design ques from that.

What are the weak points of the Worksman frame?
Is their anything I can do to rein force them?
Hopefully Pat can chime in and answer those questions.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Vibration is the biggest problem the frame has to deal with. As for old Schwinns I wouldn't consider using it as a basis for any higher hp builds. I have yet to break a Schwinn, but were talking 60 year old fillet brazed frames. The Worksman frames are lugged then brazed which was good enough for the old motorcycles so that works for us now. My area of concern on a Worksman frame, not counting your engine mounts, is where the rear frame stays braze to the seat post tube. It is not lugged at this junction, just a fillet braze.

ghosteh

Jun 20, 2011
Chicago
I've also been keeping an eye out for a Worksman to use as a project basis, and compared to the Schwinn, Elgin, or other old bikes available, they seem to bring a high premium. Lots of these early bikes have a very similar look, and I was wondering what the difference actually is.

I like the custom frame construction and would seriously consider that. It might save a lot of headaches later.