Changing Oil on the HS Engine...

GoldenMotor.com

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
How do all of you change your oil on the HS? The reason I ask is that the drain plug is not in the best place to get to. Do you take the engine off the mount? Have you screwed in like a 6" pipe extension to the hole like I've seen on snow blowers and such?

Everybody talks about changing their oil...but I haven't heard/seen anyone actually do it in an easy way on the HS.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Adapt one of these to your motor Precise Engine Repair - Drainzit Oil Drain Systems They can also be purchased thru Northern Tool or Amazon. But getting the oil out is only half of the problem. It can be equally hard and messy to get the fresh oil back in with the motor mounted in the frame. I pull the motor on mine to do oil changes, and change my oil every month.

ocscully
Thanks for the suggestion. Am waiting on their parts guy to get back to me...since the one I need isn't listed by the Honda engine type.

As for getting the oil into it...think I have that one figured out. I bought a Flotool Measu-Funnel with measuring and pouring funnel with on/off spout. Part # 10704. If I remember right...I got it at Wal-Mart for less than $10. The pix from my web cam is below.
NOTE: I was in radio for about 20 years...so I have a face for it.;)

BTW...got the bearings in last week. If we ever find a use for them...will have them available. Thanx for all the help!

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I took a piece of aluminum flashing about 3 1/2" by 12", and bent the edges up square, about 3/4 inches tall. I slide this under the drainplug and drain the oil with the bike leaning on the kickstand. Works great, I use a small pump oiler to fill the engine. Many pumps, but way easier than removing the engine.
You could also use something like a turkey baster to add oil.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I took a piece of aluminum flashing about 3 1/2" by 12", and bent the edges up square, about 3/4 inches tall. I slide this under the drainplug and drain the oil with the bike leaning on the kickstand. Works great, I use a small pump oiler to fill the engine. Many pumps, but way easier than removing the engine.
You could also use something like a turkey baster to add oil.
Thought about using an old milk carton cut something like this to do it this time...until we found a more permanent solution. My buddy came up with an idea of using an extension pipe with a plug from a plumbing store or using a cutoff valve hooked to a piece of gas line.

As for filling it...have used a transmission funnel in the past...but now have a funnel with a plastic tube that will fit right in the fill hole. Took a pix of the unit in a previous message.

Thanks for all the great ideas. This is something no one seems to talk about until someone has a question about it.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I took a bolt and cut the head off,,,then drilled down the center and added a 6" piece of hose,,,plugged the end with the original drain plug
(cheaper but similar to the drainzit)
as for filling,,,I use an old mustard /catsup squeeze type bottle with the little pointy end :)

after almost 8500 miles, I have changed the oil quite a few times and can do the drain/fill in less than 5 mins now

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I change my oil every 10 hrs. for the first 50 hrs of the engines life, then after every 20 hrs after that. I use a 2' length of clear 3/8" ID hose to siphon out the oil thru the filler spout then raise the rear of the bike and pump out any remaining oil with a small lotion bottle type pump.

Then I use the Flotool Measu-Funnel with measuring and pouring funnel with on/off spout to fill it back up with fresh oil. I think the measuring funnel was actually less than $5 at walmart and it fills the crank case rapidly.....I don't even have to remove the drainplug, let alone the engine! It's a breeze now.

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Silverbear uses a proven method that makes it easy and clean, not too mention you don't even have to remove the nearly impossible drain plug for the price of a turkey baster. You can't beat that!

Smoothe uses the same method, my self as well with exception to how I add the oil.....it's so simple!

I use a turkey baster to remove and add.
SB

Last edited:

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi All,

Great ideas guys, thanks for sharing.

I just changed my oil for the first 10 hours on the HS.

Man, I wish I read this thread first. Messy as heck on a windy day no less! :)

You live and learn.

I didn't tilt the bike or remove the engine. How much old oil did I leave? Is it worth re-doing it?

Thanks All.

:)

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hi All,

Great ideas guys, thanks for sharing.

I just changed my oil for the first 10 hours on the HS.

Man, I wish I read this thread first. Messy as heck on a windy day no less! :)

You live and learn.

I didn't tilt the bike or remove the engine. How much old oil did I leave? Is it worth re-doing it?

Thanks All.

:)
Is it worth re-doing it? Nope, just ride 10 more hours and you'll be doing it again before you know it.

I change mine every 10 hours up to 60 and then every 20 hours after that. I also change to semi-synthetic or full syn after 60 hours of petroleum break-in oil. That's just how I do it. And always warm the engine up before draining the old oil, it's easier to expel a thiner viscosity liquid than not.

dnut

Last edited: