Mounting sprocket on a bike with a coaster brake

GoldenMotor.com

heyscuba

Jan 19, 2011
st. louis, missouri
I'm mounting a motor kit to an old 82 Murray Cruiser
and I'm starting with mounting the sprocket, but there's a coaster brake and I'm having a problem in this area,...
e-mail me if you can help,...
First off, the sprocket doesn't fit over the hub assembly,
I'm making the hole bigger now by slowly reaming it out with a Dremmel Tool,
but I fear once I get it to fit over that part IF I put that outer (thick) rubber washer on the wheel and then the sprocket on it will all stick out to far and I will not be able to put the coaster brake bracket into it's slot if supposed to fit into.
Please HELP!!!

A) do these kits work with coaster brake bikes?

B) do I absolutely need that outer rubber washer,...? or can I do without it or try to find something thinner?

[email protected]

:-||

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the coaster brake arm needs to be bent in a "Z" shape to clear the sprocket.

some people have run the sprocket without the rubber "rag joint" inbetween, but it's not recommended. if you have any movement, you could wear through your spokes, or weaken them enough to fail.

yours is a common problem, and yes, these work fine on coaster brake bikes, but there's always something that needs to be rigged, no matter what kinda bike it is.

use the search feature up top and you'll find tons of threads about the dreaded coaster brake problem and it's fixes.

heyscuba

Jan 19, 2011
st. louis, missouri
thanks,...
the problem now seems to be the thickness of the sprocket even without gasket behind it, the part of the hub that sticks out on that side is not longer than the sprocket is thick, so the coaster brake bracket will be pressed against the sprocket which needs to spin,..?
also,... which way should the concave of the sprocket go,.. towards the wheel or away from it?
thanks again,....

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
usually, the nice shiny chrome side of the sprocket goes towards the spokes. depends on the chain clearance/alignment of your bike.

like i mentioned, you need to put your coaster brake arm in a vice and bend it like a "Z."

it should look more or less like this when you're done:

heyscuba

Jan 19, 2011
st. louis, missouri
Here is what I mean,...

and this sprocket is pressed darn near right on the spokes (I put a very thin gasket inbtween) but the assembly of the hub is not sticking through the thickness of the sprocket

the only thing I can think of is to cut the center hole in the sprocket with a cutting torch in a huge circle (or grind down the outside of the bracket?) so the bracket will fit through the hole and up against the brake pad locking assembly.
(left edge of pic)

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
Hmm... If you need to take more off the sprocket do so. But from your pick I can't tell if you need to or not. I do know that you will need to tighten all your bolts and that will help with the brake arm clearance. Also, it looks like the sprocket dish is pointing in. Is this where you will want it? I know on my coaster I had to have it facing out so my chain would not rub my big fat tire.

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
Hmm... If you need to take more off the sprocket do so. But from your pick I can't tell if you need to or not. I do know that you will need to tighten all your bolts and that will help with the brake arm clearance. Also, it looks like the sprocket dish is pointing in. Is this where you will want it? I know on my coaster I had to have it facing out so my chain would not rub my big fat tire.
yep he needs to turn it around i run mine against the pokes tighten it down very tight and it will be fine i also blue lock tight everything

heyscuba

Jan 19, 2011
st. louis, missouri
think I got it,... thanks,...
but still wondering about a couple things,...
but how tight do you tighten the threaded (nut I guess?) piece with the dust cover, that hold the coaster brake bracket and holds the guts of the hub inside ?
(there's on on each side) before then putting on the locking nuts,..?
are these to be just hand tight so it will spin freely,...?
for that matter how tight so you work in the thread end of the sprocket into the hub,,...?

also, I have a small red washer or round gasket I don't know where it goes,...? any idea's,...?

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
small red washer is a fiber washer, probably for the petcock so it doesn't leak, if it's smaller than the petcock, it's for the carb, but there should be one on there already. it's just a sealing washer.

as for the coaster brake "cones" needing to be tightened, the answer is yes, but they need to be done a certain way so it's all adjusted correctly.

for that. lemme refer you to the late, great bicycle guru extraordinaire, Sheldon Brown:

One-Speed Bicycle Coaster Brakes

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hey guys, I'm looking into building a bike and I'm curious how to mount the rear sprocket for AGK. it doesn't say anything on the website, does it just come with the rubber pads and bolts?
This is the sprocket:
http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm...Product_Code=5321**&Category_Code=MTRBK+PARTS
Hello DSavage welcome to the forum, glad you joined us.

Here is what I read
designed to fit 6 bolt hubs
So, I would assume its made to bolt to disc hubs

Meccanica

Jul 21, 2012
Connecticut
I brought my sprocket to a local machine shop along with my hub and the guy machined out the center of the sprocket and charged me a large Dunkin Donuts coffee for the work! The benefit of this is that the hole is widened but still perfectly centered so I didn't run into problems getting the sprocket to mount in the right place with no wobble.