Anyone know what gearbox this is?

GoldenMotor.com

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
That, my friend is the infamous HOOT! The most hated gearbox of all. It's also the cheepest. Sometimes it can be had as a complete kit for $219.99 on Ebay. At that price it may be worth getting with the plan to replace the Hoot with something better. There are a number of gearboxes that fit the HS engine that are better than this one.

GTX

May 5, 2010
Prattville
From searching the BGF seller's kit with the Hoot,I think this is the chain drive one?
What problems do these have,or are they too new to judge? If I can get a couple years of receational use,that's good for now...

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
I recall someone posted about the chain drive one. The chain is a poor one and stretches so needs to be replaced. The photo is of the nasty one with gears that don't mesh well. I think some dealers have the old one and some have the chain drive units. I think they are hard to sell after all the bad reports we hear about them. The price is cheep. I may build one and just plan on replacing the gear box. I have a box full that will fit the engine.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
That is a gear drive hoot. That is good, because the engine has a 15mm driveshaft, and can be used with EZM or other drives. That is to say, you are not stuck with the little on-board clutch.

Mike