Rustoration 2.0

GoldenMotor.com

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
if i can find a frame for my liking ill have to get down on thius build off, but unfortunately, it can be difficult to find a decent enough old frame. I too have no shop, u use my bike trailer and the kitchen for my projects. now its time to find a frame.......

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Corgi,
You were right in having me check the wheel diameter. Mopeds are measured differently than bicycles. The 16" on this moped is rim size. The whole wheel with tires is a little over 20" which changes things, doesn't it? Looks a little more promising. Might turn into a cool bike.
SB

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
if i can find a frame for my liking ill have to get down on thius build off, but unfortunately, it can be difficult to find a decent enough old frame. I too have no shop, u use my bike trailer and the kitchen for my projects. now its time to find a frame.......
Hi Cogswell,
THe more the merrier! Check ebay and ratrodbikes.com. If you find something post a link or picture here and we can see if its OK.

Thanks,

Sam

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Corgi,
You were right in having me check the wheel diameter. Mopeds are measured differently than bicycles. The 16" on this moped is rim size. The whole wheel with tires is a little over 20" which changes things, doesn't it? Looks a little more promising. Might turn into a cool bike.
SB
yes that would mean if the 26 inch bike went 36 mph ,then the one with a 20 inch wheel bike should go about 27 mph at the same motor rpms w/the same rear sproket size
the 20 inch wheel travels about 62 1/2 niches and the 26 inch wheel travels about 81 1/2 inches or the 20 inch travels about 3/4 the travel per revolution,or forward speed xct2

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
yes that would mean if the 26 inch bike went 36 mph ,then the one with a 20 inch wheel bike should go about 27 mph at the same motor rpms w/the same rear sproket size
the 20 inch wheel travels about 62 1/2 niches and the 26 inch wheel travels about 81 1/2 inches or the 20 inch travels about 3/4 the travel per revolution,or forward speed xct2
The stock kit sprocket is 44T and I did some measuring and it looks like I could cut out the center to a 5" diameter hole to fit over the hub. Then I'd need to make new rag joint backing plates to match. At least is it possible and would give a good cruising speed of 20 mph and wind it out a bit to 25 or so. I would think it would also be pretty good on hills. The other possibility is if I can take the hub plate off and find a way to mount a sprocket directly to the hub. Then a 36T might work. I could find a 36T sprocket on a kid's bike. At least I know now that this is possible. Of course another option would be a ready made moped wheel either 16 or 17 inch with a sprocket already there. Even if it was the wrong size, it would have been made to accommodate a sprocket, so there would be a way to adapt another sprocket. I think I'm going to take the moped with me when I go east and put it together over the winter along with a more serious build, another Greyhound/Schwinn. Thanks, Gene.
SB

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
36 tooth would bring the 20 inch bike to about the speed of a 26 inch bike w/a 48 tooth

crank sprokets on some road bikes have large center holes and 5 mounting holes(I got a box full of them w/various tooth counts from a lucky:confused: garage sale)(mostly aluminin I think ,a few steel ones)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
they came in all sizes. Lobdell was a big name back then.

that style is still made today. in fact, almost all aluminum rims are drop center, only they're squared off.

there's a bike swap meet tomorrow (wait, it's today. i gotta go to bed:)) so i'll probably find some there.

thanks for the offer though...