Nearly 50 years ago

GoldenMotor.com

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Hi Saddletramp Did get to eat any of the day old donuts when you worked in the bakery? LOL Let me tell you a little story, a friend of mine had a 1cylinder matchless, I think it was about a 350 and was made in England. One Saturday morning we were trying to get the thing started, we had a puddle of gas and oil all around the bike but it would not start. So... we were going to pull it, I got a piece of clothes line rope and tied it to the handlebars of the matchless and the back to my old Eagle and down the dirt road we went. Skidding the back tire, dragging the bike. It was alll the old Eagle could do to get up to speed. Then all of a sudden the matchless fired and he had the wick wide open he passed me up like I was sitting still. And when the slack in the rope took up, we BOTH ended up in the ditch with a little road rash. I advise not to try this with your chinese motorbike! But, boys will be boys. Enjoy the ride!
buzzard

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
My boss was too mean to be a drill sgt. in the Marines. Oh I ate a lot! not donuts though:confused: Matchless, got to see one restored once. I've owned one of the little 50 cc bikes Honda let loose on the world. To be honest I think the motorized bikes we have now are better. There lighter, easyer to fix and just over more fun to ride. (^) If it has wheels on it theres a pretty fair chance I have rode it at one time or another. Being an ex employee of a motorcycle dealer didn't hurt either. Rode what I wanted or what ever was leftrotfl. Used of course. Later Tramp P.S. the forum is looking better all the time. New members!! Good thing.(c)

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
umm... I was -18 in 1958... and now I have a horrible mental image to go to sleep with :eek:

I have to admit to being curious - what on earth was/is a treadle clutch?

And I want that 9 cylinder motorbike from ebay (c)

Gods know what the police would say if they stopped me on that - if of course they could keep up rotfl

Its nice to hear memories from other people though.

One of my dads stories was about an argument between himself and an irate driver of an Austin 1100 (john cleese - fawlty towers/clockwise). The driver wanted to go to east mersea. In order to do this he had to get past a combine harvester with a fixed header (yes, it was old). My grandfather and father patiently explained to this world class nerk, that if he didnt back up, the combine would move forward slowly - drop a wheel into that pothole - and send a fair percentage of the front right hand side of his car into the nearest field. many of you will know that getting a farmer to reverse anything during the harvest would require the services of the 101st airbourne and even then would be a close run thing.. one bespectacled twerp in a tweed suit and driving gloves really wasnt going to cut it.
This went on for a while, until my grandfather (never the most chatty of men) decided to cut a long story short - put the combine in first gear - at which point said part of the Austin did a passable impression of sputnik and ended up.. in the adjoining field.
So, who turns up then but the local bobby on his bike. Asks the by now somewhat irate car owner what had happened, and then asks my father the same question. The upshot of that was the car owner got a ticket for littering - to wit, the front wing of his car, and was told that he had a pressing engagement somewhere, or else... rotfl

And now for a personal memory.

When I was 14 or so we moved to a new home - a bungalow - what I think the americans call a ranch house?. Anyways, this was a new build and the garden looked like something out of jungle book (never start building your dream home when you are in the middle of a divorce, but I digress). Once my father had used his usual method of weed clearance - aka Roundup/diesel/lit match/oops... we went on holiday and came back to a nicely rotavated front and back 'garden' courtesy of a friend of his. This friend was one of those people who was never that lucky - you know - the one on the chainsaw who suddenly realises that those 4 nice shiny pickups are under the tree - or in his case.. the electricity supply for the entirety of Mersea.
Anyway - dad started digging over the garden and my mum, brother and I went swimming. Imagine our surprise when we came back to a bomb squad van, police, military police cordons and gods know what else...
My father had been digging the garden over and coming across scaffolding pins - being a farmers son he proceeded to beat the living daylights out of these till they submitted, dig them out and put them with the rubbish to throw away. Just along from the new garage, he came across one and did the usual procedure of assume it was the local conservative MP and treat accordingly. Only this time it didnt break. So he hit it again. Still it didnt break...
Curious by this point dad digs it out cleans it off and its an large egg shaped thing with a sorta nub at the top and a crosshatched pattern on the surface... I know what you are thinking.. and yes you are right on. A grenade. More to the point - a grenade that has been sprayed with chemicals, possibly set fire to, driven over with a powered rotavator (twice) and then had the crap beaten out of it with a spade.
Dad calls the police - they wont touch it - tells him to call the military police - they quickly defer as well and call the bomb squad out - who take one look at it and wont pick it up either... they take X-rays and do other fun technical things and find out that the pin is still in it! which means its likely to be live..
At which point they very very careful put it in a lead lined box and go blow it up in their tame woodland.... nothing like a quiet saturday afternoon in an english country village is there? ... warm beer, whiskey powered grannies (valium hadnt been heard of outside london at that time..) and those nice unexploded bombs.....

Jemma xx

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Ahhh them drama queens! Sure like to put on a show don't they.lol One well placed armor pircing round from a sniper's rifle would either blown it up, or made it harmless. A "pineapple" of that vintage was not good for over 40 feet.
anything else it would just bounce off.

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Hi Saddletramp Did get to eat any of the day old donuts when you worked in the bakery? LOL Let me tell you a little story, a friend of mine had a 1cylinder matchless, I think it was about a 350 and was made in England. One Saturday morning we were trying to get the thing started, we had a puddle of gas and oil all around the bike but it would not start. So... we were going to pull it, I got a piece of clothes line rope and tied it to the handlebars of the matchless and the back to my old Eagle and down the dirt road we went. Skidding the back tire, dragging the bike. It was alll the old Eagle could do to get up to speed. Then all of a sudden the matchless fired and he had the wick wide open he passed me up like I was sitting still. And when the slack in the rope took up, we BOTH ended up in the ditch with a little road rash. I advise not to try this with your chinese motorbike! But, boys will be boys. Enjoy the ride!
buzzard
Tell me that wasnt a Coventry-eagle by any chance ... thats quite an image... a lil 98cc pulling a 350cc against compression

Its lucky you didnt set yourselves on fire :D

I know that matchless did a 500cc single 2 banger and a 350cc - other than that I dont know that much about the make..

good memories

Jemma xx

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Buzzard, Matchless made some "thumpers" (one cylinder engines) and the G-50 which was a 500 is famous in my part of the world. One of the first bike rides I ever took was on a 650 Matchless twin. When my buddy grabbed a hand-full of throttle the world seemed to blur as I remember and by the time I got my eyes opened again we were about a light year on down the road. Ahhhh to be 14 again.

I owned a Yahaha SR 500 later which was a replica bike modeld after the G 50, BSA Gold Star, and Norton Manx. It's kick starter had a ratchet built into the kick start so if the engine mis-started or burped you wouldn't be launched over the handlebars, get a broken ankle, or a nasty wallop to the calf of your leg. There was a compression release lever and a small window atop the cylinder head such that the end of the camshaft's TDC position flag could display....so it would be safe to kick the starter. Yahaha sure did refine those details nicely though. I guess those little Japanese engineers realized they could be hurled into sub orbit from the handle bars where us 180 to 220 lb westerners would just land a few feet in front of the thing. But hey....nobody likes landing on their head before going for a ride.:-||.

Last edited: