4G clutch won’t engage

GoldenMotor.com

[email protected]

Sep 25, 2009
San Diego
Hey guys... took a few weeks away from my bike.... went to start it, and for some reason the clutch wouldn’t engage.... I decided today is the day I’m going to fix it... but thought I would see if you guys have some ideas/experiences that might help. Last time I ran it, it ran great..... it has been in my garage since.... and now this..... thanks in advance

[email protected]

Sep 25, 2009
San Diego
Ok..... sorry about that guys... started today and it ran great for a bit....

then.....

... the engine started dying..... and the overflow hose started leaking some gas.... my guess is that the carb is full, probably due to the float being stuck down? it ran for about a mile and a half.... do you think this might be the float filling up?.... I know nothing about carbs, and am regurgitating things i have heard.... so if you can dumb down your response on this... that would be swell... thanks guys

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks for the attempted help Mind_reader, but that is the Carb for the 2 stroke engines, the 4g Hs engine is a 4 stroke and that is what he is talking about.

I also have the HS 4G, and i have had that happen to me, once while sitting in the basement overnight. I woke up to the house smelling like gas and twice while i was riding. When it happens to me, i cannot start the engine again, i have to let it sit for like 3 hours. I believe some valve gets stuck open and floods the engine, thats why it dies and is near impossible to start. Mine hasnt done it in a long time but I know it will happen again.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Same basic operating principles, no? Between a 4 and 2 stroke carb

I would take it apart carefully and take care to keep the parts in order. I am thinking it is your float too.

Side note HLM, ya going to the bike show Aug 8th?

[email protected]

Sep 25, 2009
San Diego
So i actually took it apart that day and it was indeed simpler than i thought it would be. really was quite self explanatory once i looked at it however i could not see anything wrong... and it quit doing it.... i agree with you HLM... i think it will do it to me again because I’m guessing it’s the delicate pen not seating when the float rises...

But not to worry.... i have a new problem to hold me over till then..... I thought this was related, but now that the carb doesn’t overflow i know it must be seperate.... i see fuel running down the air filter base that mounts to the carb. It connects where air would go through so i don’t see how fuel gets out there... i think it is coming from the bowl seats... when i twist the bowl it has a bit of a metal on metal feeling... i experimented with my brother’s 4g and his is more of a rubber on metal feeling that gives you a warm feeling inside because you know no gas is getting by. i tried trading our bowl seals and no different... the bowl looks fine.... im thinking of globbing some blue glue... any reason that i SHOULDN’t do that?

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
I have two HS engines and had some problems with the fuel flow on one so had to pull the carb. #1) Pull the O-ring bowl seal & replace. It is possible that when running & moving fuel is sloshing and leaking, blowing back on the aircleaner cover.#2) You may have to gently blow through gas inlet. Sounds like a piece of crud on the seat may be keeping the needle from seating. I couldn't see any way to adjust float level but make sure the spring on needle isn't binding on the lip of the seat, the needle is in alignment with hole in seat and shake the float to make sure no gas inside. Cleanliness is a must. Hope this helps.

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
Just make sure you have not had some of your fuel end up in the crankcase. I have had stuck floats that put the entire contents of the gas tank down into the engine oil. Not good! Besides the bearing damage that can happen you can actually get fuel and oil coming out the breather that connects to the carb air filter.

Jim

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
This thread should get renamed for what it is actually about... carb problems. I've had no trouble with my HS carb so far and hope it stays that way, but it's good to have an idea of what to do in case it does happen.
SB

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Just make sure you have not had some of your fuel end up in the crankcase. I have had stuck floats that put the entire contents of the gas tank down into the engine oil. Not good! Besides the bearing damage that can happen you can actually get fuel and oil coming out the breather that connects to the carb air filter.

Jim
That happened to me too at a Ct. rally a couple years ago. Crankcase filled with gas after the carb float stuck. Change your oil like Quenton & Jim said. Better safe than sorry. :)
Jay