Motor Bicycle Building Book 4 FREE!

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Like Silverbear I have a Grandfather who was a tool and die maker. He was long retired when I was born but he lives on with the tools he left behind and my mothers storys. He helped build the lighting generating system for the Titanic as one of the company foremen.
I often wonder what he would think of drawings like yours also. Having him help me with drafting work from school and the hints he gave me in math I think he would have been amazed and then picked up his slide rule and pencil. You always trust old friends.

Thank you for your work. It is truely amazing.

Steve.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Excellent CAD drawings Hemi! It would be interesting to see what the cost of manufacture would be for that. You should send out the drawings to a few companies to see what they would quote.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Ever see 1 man build a house with a shovel, hoe, try-square, hammer, hand saw and a mixing trough. I have, and he even stood the walls up with a lever. He took about 3 months it was not a huge house but pretty. It would do these young pups good to see a few things done by hand. I never saw any plans for the house he was just building. My wife came home one day and said her girl friends had to send everything out to be repaired, she asked them why there husbands did not fix them, they told her that they couldn't fix anything, she told them she had never sent anything out, they were amazed. I don't think I am special, but I am my grandfathers Grandson and I guess it is a legacy I have to live up to. Plus my dad's nickname was Bolts. LOL, when I am gone who will fix it! Have fun, Dave

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Wow your able to do that ,and I just learned from my teen that the F11 button improves the size of the pic

hemichargersrt8

Dec 4, 2010
London, Ontario
Hello all, getting really close to finishing the 1906 motor bicycle build in Solidworks. It would appear as most of the frame pieces are the same as B.S.A. parts so I don't know the books author connection to B.S.A. A gentleman named "Olaf Pihlfeldt" seems to have invented many of the B.S.A. bike parts. I found around 11 patents attributed to him.
The book also recommends Eadie hubs and they were available from B.S.A. as well. B.S.A. also sold bike saddles by Brooks England, so sounds like if you wanted to build this bike almost all the the parts were available at Birmingham Small Arms. The author eventually went to work for Sunbeam cycles as a designer and consultant.

Attachments

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Hello all, getting really close to finishing the 1906 motor bicycle build in Solidworks. It would appear as most of the frame pieces are the same as B.S.A. parts so I don't know the books author connection to B.S.A. A gentleman named "Olaf Pihlfeldt" seems to have invented many of the B.S.A. bike parts. I found around 11 patents attributed to him.
The book also recommends Eadie hubs and they were available from B.S.A. as well. B.S.A. also sold bike saddles by Brooks England, so sounds like if you wanted to build this bike almost all the the parts were available at Birmingham Small Arms. The author eventually went to work for Sunbeam cycles as a designer and consultant.

hemichargersrt8, when are you going to start this build?

I know you'll have many fans of this build here in the Board Track & Vintage Motor Bicycles section of the forum.

Waiting patiently for you to post your build thread when you get started on this build, please share it with us by starting your own thread!

Peace Crazy Horse.brnot

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon
So the link is gone or something I tried both of them and it said internet data base missing or something like that. Cool cad drawings I was into that and old school drawn architecture and engineering when I was in high school I took all of the classes my high school offered. IF I had know about these things back in school I can just imagine what I might have come up with, back then I was really into designing strange fish tanks and I drew a huge geodesic dome house. I had the blue prints for a long time(lost a lot of things when my mom became a crackhead and sold the family home for crank but I will always remember them) I am thinking about getting the latest copy of atocad and seeing if I still have the passion for designing and drawing things out I have not done any thing like that for more than 10 years, I mean actually draw something out not just a sketch peace out

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Heck, build a motor bike for a 3.5 hp engine; they have you make sure you get the sand out of the engine before it is running.

Yes you make a sand cast. You make the engine. I have a 20 lb propane tank, no I have to get a crucible to melt the white metal. Oops cast iron?

Thanks for the link and the guy at U o Cal for this!

Measure Twice

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I would like to know if anyone has looked at the diagram on page 116 and 117.

I don’t suspect that most of those of us who looked at the book have the intention of reading front to back. In my case it might be a long shot to say I would be reading it all, but I did find that even though the book looks to be scanned in, it had allowed me to use the find feature and did do a search for words within the pdf book version.

Searching for spark plug, found an unusual type of sparks plug with what I think has a movable part besides the anode electrical conduction.

On page 116 and 117 what looks like a pictorial diagram of a cylinder marked “A” in the above and “B” in the below diagrams from Figure 101, I want to know more about the function of the spark plug in “B”. (WIPE PLUG)

This seems to have much like a push rod connected to a cam to not loose compression, but continue through the center of the spark plug. It moves back and forth to make and break contact.

This is different that the above spark plug in “A” that is just like today’s modern spark plugs.

The small rod must have to keep the compression from leaking, just like the piston in the cylinder, but I can not quite think with rings to make the seal.

Then how is this done? Stuffing box. Pardon, but thats the details!

Wadds of high temp material? Who Knows?

The Wipe Plug?

Excerpt from Motor Bicycle Building, David A. Mckay Publisher 1906
http://www.archive.org/details/motor...buil00hasliala
===============================================================
In B there is a wipe plug G, consisting of a
platinum-tipped rod and a platinum-faced spring.
The rod works in an insulated stuffing-box, and
its platinum tip is in contact with the spring
(connected to the cylinder) when the cam H presses
it into the cylinder. When the cam passes the tip
of this rod, a helical spring J pulls it sharply
away from the spring G, and, as the previous
contact of these parts closed the circuit of the
battery through the plain coil D2
, so this pullingaway
action breaks contact and a flashing spark
passes between the two separated parts at G. It
must be noted that this spark only flashes across
the gap between the separated parts at the moment
of separation, or, in other words,
"
at the
IGNITION COILS FOR MOTOR CYCLES. 117
break," but not the
" make "
of the circuit. This
must be taken into consideration when arranging
the timing of the ignition, by adjusting the wiping
cam. In A the sparking begins when the two
springs at F are brought into contact, and continues
whilst they are in contact; but in B there
is only one flash when contact is broken. Sure
ignition is ensured by the use of a compound coil
with trembler attachment, but the timing of the……….

What do you think?

Measure Twice

jakub

Aug 19, 2011
Czech Rep.
Hello all, first time posting. I found the book very interesting. I have studied the details and to most it would be hard to visualize the 2D CAD pictures. So, I converted them to a 3D model using Solidworks. I only have the motor done so far, but I am working on the frame details as I type. I can provide 3D pdf or if you download a CAD viewer I can supply files for your viewing pleasure. I have tried to include as much detail as reasonable but I have left out some nuts and bolts etc. You can pan, zoom etc and make the parts transparent so that you can see the internal parts.

Hi, it is possible send me your work in CAD?

Thx and sorry for mine English, I am from Czech rep. and this is mine web site about motorbike - motokuba.cz

Have nice day.. :)

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Thanks for posting this book Crazy Horse.
I have started building this engine with lots or changes to make it doable with out castings. Look for a new thread on this coming soon just wanted to thank Crazy Horse for inspiring me Tom

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Thanks for posting this book Crazy Horse.
I have started building this engine with lots or changes to make it doable with out castings. Look for a new thread on this coming soon just wanted to thank Crazy Horse for inspiring me Tom
Your welcome Tom.

Please share with us your build, and post up pictures as your build progress's.

Will be following your build thread for sure.

I believe you are the first person to actually build this engine in close to 100 years, well your version!

Peace C.H.