My first two attempts at building weedwhacker bikes

GoldenMotor.com

canadian_cheapscate

Apr 4, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
zptHello people I am very new to putting engines on bicycles but I am very experienced with bicycles in general .I have built two WW bikes and they are running fine .But I know that I have no experience at all with vibration dampning or improper methods of mounting .The one that I built out of a 70's dual-sus bmx is really cool (I think) in the fact that it bolted on to an existing flange .It is only held on with one large bolt and swings up as a gravity clutch with a brake lever and line.My other one on the mountain bike frame I am pretty sure I haven't done it right .I have put a smaller spindle on it in hopes of getting more low end grunt like this is the dirtbike compared to the other one being the cruiser but I've been running into mounting issues left , right and center .I will figure it out eventually.
they are both the exact same engine and the mb is direct drive pedal start .huh i need to resize all my photos so I'll do it later so search 70's weed whacker bike on u-tube or my username poodlenuggets (I know it is stupid)

Last edited:

Erich_870

Dec 4, 2009
Alaska
Saw your videos, swinging your motor up and away from the tire is a nice touch.

What kind of weed whacker motor are you using?

Erich

canadian_cheapscate

Apr 4, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Cheers , it is a homelite 25cc one bearing practically a huge RC engine yea that bike got put together with sheer stubburness. My nieghbor gave me a ww & I was like "Hey I bet that can go on that little flange." and it all just fell into place like it was meant to be there I am worried because it really is only held on by that one bolt but it is sturdy i really only had to drill out the existing hole in the block because the little self tapping screws kept breaking and that is it.Maybe 4 dollars has gone into these two bikes, I will post detailed pics but I dont wanna seem to over-exited I tend to go off on a tangent like I really never type this much hehe.

canadian_cheapscate

Apr 4, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
.laffyes I have been revising them and I think I will post final pics tomorrow.I just didn't want to have the older pics up when the thing looks different every day .I am pretty sure the bikes have had thier bugs run out of em and we have broken everything that was gonna break and we really have been trying to run them into the ground to find the limits of these litte homelites so I will post detailed pics and a rundown of all the problems and solutions and questions and hopefully this thread gets milage oh yea they are UGLY buggers

gudenarrd

Jan 12, 2010
Boise,Idaho
hey i have a weedeater brand that i would like to run a belt drive on my mt bike and i saw a mount made of diamond plate that goes on the seat post over the rear wheel if that dont work i thing the motor is small enough to fit in the triangle where the 2 strokes are to big

gudenarrd

Jan 12, 2010
Boise,Idaho
does any one know if well i have 2 macs and one mac is 32 and i think 1 is 28 1 john deere21 cc,and one weedeater 25 cc and the weedeater is the one i have played with the most I have a bike called a verosity riveria made in tiwan its a very comfortable bike but the large frame wont work with the 66cc that i used on my monark but the bearing in the piston came apart and siezed up my engine 2 days ago so now i am trying to do the weed eater and what i would like to do is install it just above the crank set and either do a chain or prefer a belt drive.Do I have to have a free wheel set up for the motor HELP PLZ THANKS IN bOISE iDAHO