What is Motorbicycling? really...

GoldenMotor.com

What is Motorbicycling? Really... It is...

• a Hobby.

Votes: 35 72.9%
  • a Sport.

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • a Luxury.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • a mode of transportation.

Votes: 30 62.5%
  • a form of leisure.

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • a business endeavour.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • a field for scientific study and research.

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • an art.

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • a way of ruining a perfectly built bicycle.

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Has anyone ever tried to do a search on the true definition of Motorbicycling?

Well, I have, and I was surprised that it's not in Wikipedia as of now, not even in this forum... till today... :)

Motorcycling, yes... and Mopedling just does'nt sound right...

Maybe, after 2 or 3 years that this forum has existed, I think it's about time we have a proper defintion for Motorbicycling.

What do you think? How would you define it for yourselves and to other people around the world? Let's start by having a poll... You may have multiple choices...

So, is it:
a) a Hobby.
b) a Sport.
c) a Luxury.
d) a mode of transport.
e) a form of leisure.
f) a business endeavour.
g) a field for scientific study and research, that should be a part of a curriculum in an Engineering field of Study.
h) an art.
i) a way of ruining a perfectly built bicycle.

Thanks for opinion/s...

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
for me, it started out as cheap transportation. at least that's what i thought until my first ride.

it's a sport, in the way that i wanna be faster than everyone else, have a better bike than everyone else... mostly, the competition's in my head, though. i see something, and i want to make it better.

luxury? well, i've got leather seats, but that's about it.

it's a "hobby," but i don't like that word, since it's functional. hobbies to me are useless endeavors to pass the time, like stamp collecting, or golf.

definitely leisure, as there's nothing like just taking off and riding around all day. unless your chain breaks 5 miles form your house. then it becomes "exercise" and "frustration."

i'd like to make it a business endeavor. we'll see how that goes.

i think it's more like "everything i know about science and engines doesn't apply," since these things totally contradict themselves when it comes to tuning. people run oil mixtures from 16:1 to 100:1, gap plugs from .08 to .040, drill holes in frames, have kill switches that you have to push in to make the bike run, etc.

it's a miracle these things run at all (would that be a "religious experience?")

i'd like to think my bikes fall in the category of "art." as long as they're not on display, and people with bad goatees and designer clothes are spilling red wine on them...

and from a lot of builds i've seen, "perfectly built" and "bicycle" shouldn't be used in the same sentence;)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
For me it's hobby that turned into a small business.
I really enjoy building these bikes, & I get a real feeling of pride when I build something totally original that can 'hold it's own' with the 'best of the best' MB builders. (^)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hobby? Yes. Outlet for creativity? Yes. A way to express, utilize and enjoy the varied skills I've developed over the years? Yes to that too. Motorbicycling is many things to many people. I was blessed, or cursed, depending on your views, with an innate mechanical aptitude which needs to be active. I've been fortunate in that I've been able to explore and develop this talent through a number of endeavors during the course of my life and at my age I needed something a little slower, a little less expensive but as rewarding as some of the other things I've done over the years. I saw a motorized bicycle at a car show and was hooked immediately. That was nearly three years ago. I was on the computer the same evening researching this strange new attraction and have not slowed down yet. I'm in semi retirement and have a garage full of motorized toys but my bikes/trike and this forum take up the majority of my free time. I'm addicted.
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I checked em all. It is a shear joy, well when they are running. But even the frustrations can be fun when I figure it out or ask here.

LOL Lefty. Ayup, ya need 3. My version of that is the one your riding, the one your building and the one your planning.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My definition of 'the three'... The one you ride the most, the one that looks better than any of them...and the first one that you just can't part with, no matter what.
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"My definition of 'the three'... The one you ride the most, the one that looks better than any of them...and the first one that you just can't part with, no matter what.
Tom"

Tom, no kidding I have vivid dreams of my first build. (The one you just can't part with) I sold her while on a store run to this guy who was headed to a MC thing and owned a biker bar. He thought it was funny. Worst $450 I ever made. Was back when I was gonna get rich off-a making these things. Never should have parted with her. (sniff, I'm ok) lol

That vid with the bears, the MB on the stamp was her.

LOL and he tried to say his atm card was having probs and would I take 4. Should have asked for 6 or 7. I would still have my baby or at least a better mark-up. Live an' learn

bikebum1975

Aug 18, 2008
Connecticut
Where's the answer for al of the above? For me though I have not built one yet as I don't have all the funds for it the research and seeing the works of art you guys have built is just stunning. I mean oe of the things I consider this hobby to be is a true art form I LOVE industial type artwork and this is just a pure form of it just like working on old cars and on classic custom motorcycles. It's fun relaxing a good way to burn off steam and a good way once built to save a bit of money getting around for the next projects.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
To me it's a hobby because I do it for fun, both the installation of the motor kits and the riding and improving the motorbike. I don't need it for transportation what with a car, truck, Goldwing and Silverwing in the garage along with a Norco Corsa city bike (too nice for a motor). So that leaves me with the fun aspect of the thing. And it is fun. I get a kick out of all my motorbikes, the big Wing is glorious on a long road trip, it comfortably eats up the miles and is the epitome of a touring motorcycle. The Silverwing scooter with it's 600cc twin is a shocker to a lot of Harley Davidson guys at the stoplights. The SW can easily take a stock Sportster off the line and right up to the top end. The motorbike is a throwback to a desire of my youth. I really wanted a motorbike but had to settle for a deathtrap of a Cushman scooter because that was what I could afford. So I get a double scoop of pleasure riding my old mountain bike equipped with a 49cc Skyhawk. It effortlessly cruises at higher speeds than a pedal bike, handles hills better than I can with a pedal bike although I can pedal up short steeper hills than the motor alone can handle. The low power is a part of the deal, if it had lots more power and speed it'd be a motorcycle and that's a whole 'other thing. Yep, it's a hobby, I enjoy riding and tinkering with it.usflg

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
For me it's a hobby and an unwinder...nothing like a leisurely buzz around the town and a Timmies after a trying day. It's always a plus too to ride past a group of college kids like I did tonight and get the woohoo and beers in the air, makes me chuckle every time :)