A/C

GoldenMotor.com

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
Any one know of a good Air conditioner web site is that I can trouble shoot my Air conditioner in my house is. I have had good luck with my washing machine.

crazeehorse

May 21, 2008
i can help you, at least to some point, i am an hvac master mechanic. but do you have pressure gages, thermometer, & a multi meter? tell me what the problem is, what brand of a/c, central, or window etc. i can at least point you in the right direction. some a/c problems are hard to pinpoint, without the proper tools.

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
It blows air but not cold It blows like a fan. It is a centeral unit you know with a box outside and part under the house. The thing outside comes on, but still no cold air. It blows but not cold. I do not have any guages or anything.

crazeehorse

May 21, 2008
ok that means you have a split unit. is it a heatpump?, or do you have gas or some other type of heat? check to see that your outside unit it runing. it may have a seprate voltage system to run the two units. the inside unit has power, if the blower is running. if the outside fan is turning you have power to the outside unit. if the fan is turning, (outside) check to see if the compresser is running, a whinning noise. if it is running, check to see if the finns on the outside coil are dirty. let me know these things if possible, then i can tell you more.

crazeehorse

May 21, 2008
sorry, i read your last post again, we know that you have power to the outside unit. the question is the compresser coming on when the fan does? let me know what brand the outside unit is , that way i can tell you if you can access the compresser , to see if it feels hot. if the coils are dirty, it can cause the compresser to cycle out on a built in thermal overload. if it has, it will feel very hot. also stay outside by the unit for a few mins. to see if the compresser is trying to start( a humming noise that last only a few seconds, then stops). this could be a bad run capacitor.

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
Okay turned it on and the outside fan is blowing, and If I put my ear down low on the unit I can hear a little himming from the thing in the center. It is regular air and it is not hot like it is when it is usually on, and that pipe with insilation feels like normal temp.

crazeehorse

May 21, 2008
ok , sounds like low of gas, most likley r-22, unless a new unit less than a few yrs old. then could be r-410a . if it has service valves , you could hook on the the low side, (the big copper line), it should be at least 50 psi.with the unit running or above. with the unit off it should rise to 100 psi or above.

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
Thanks if it makes any difference the A/C has been on for about an hour, and the thing in the middle stoped making noise. All I need now is a guage. Hey, I wonder if Harbor Freight has them? Ya, but what about the r-22 stuff.

crazeehorse

May 21, 2008
yes Harbor Freight has them, just make sure to put the blue,(low pressure side hose on the (big line) service valve. put the red (high pressure side hose on the ( little line) service valve. if the system is charged correctly, your low side pressure should be between 55 & 80 psi. your high side pressure should be roughly 3.5 times( + /- 10%)your lowside pressure ie low side 70 psi. & high side 245 + /- 10%

crazeehorse

May 21, 2008
the thing to know here, is that if you're charge is low, you have a leak somewhere. if you pull a vaccum, you will pull moisture into the system. you have to find that leak, or be ready to keep adding to your charge. it may work for a while, (depending on the size of the leak). when i leak test a system, i remove the remaining charge, pressure the system to about 250-300 psi. i use an inert gas, sush as carbon dioxide, or dry nitrogen, then go over the sealed system solder joints,with a solution of dishwashing liquid, & water. look for oil , this is often the sign of a leak. if you can find the leak, you have done the half the work, & often the most difficult half. although most leaks are repairable, some are not. i would suggest repairing it, ( if possible.)