From lawnmower to bike, CAN SOMEONE HELP?

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Hello, I have been given a Briggs and Stratton 4HP lawnmower that won't start. I first need to figure out what's wrong with the engine, then I need to figure out how to get this engine on my bicycle. I'm new to 4-stroke engines, I've been riding the two stroke kits only. My two strokes are out of action right now, and I'm low on funds, so this would be a good way for me to get back on the bike. Here's my observations of the engine, still on the mower, trying to start it normally. There is a lot of leakage of either fuel or oil where the canisters are. This is the same place the primer is, and the throttle lever? The fuel tank and oil tank are loose on the engine, missing a mounting bolt it looks like. This is likely where the problem is? and the carb will likely need a serious cleaning? It's the kind of mower that you have to hold the bar lever on the handle down, (the kill switch bar in case you let go of the mower). When I pull the starter cord, it turns no problem, however, I can't tell if there is spark, and I can hear a metal "tinging" sound echoing within the sound of the turning engine. Perhaps this is just the loose tanks rattling? It doesn't sputter, or seem like there is spark, just turns with the momentum of me pulling the starter cord.

I haven't looked at it much, as I said, I just got it, and it's still technically a lawn mower. I figure I should get it working as a mower, before I dismantle and try to install on my bike, for it may end up way more frustrating, or not possible at all.

Any suggestions on repairing this engine? Any advice to offer?

How is the engine best removed from the mower? Is there anything I should be aware of when removing the engine?

What would be the best and cheapest way to mount this engine? This is a vertical drive engine, so I'll likely use a small wheel of some kind to run off of the rear wheel sidewall, or perhaps the rim. I want to go rear mount.

Thank you everyone for reading my dilemmas and helping me out with your vast knowledge!! Hopefully I'll be joining the four stroke world soon! dance1

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Not a clue where I would start with that. It's vertical drive also, so I'm not sure how I'd do that. If I can do that though, it's definitely an Idea to consider. I'll have the handle bars of the lawnmower I could use somehow...

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Ok, I've taken the air filter and fuel tank off, cleaned it right up, and removed it from the mower. Here is a couple pics for you all. I picked up some metal to make the mount out of, it is purely trial and error for me right now, I have half a vision in my head as to what I'd like to do, I looked at some options, CV drive, twisting belt, etc. Converting from vertical to horizontal drive is more work in the end, so I'm going to attach a wheel to the drive shaft of the engine, and mount so it rolls on the sidewall of the rear tire. I figure the bigger the wheel, the more speed I'll get. Any suggestions so far?

Attachments

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
some of the materials I'll be using for the rear mount. gonna be a project! That's for sure.
The black one will hold the brackets that will hold the engine. The threaded pole is for the side bar supports. We'll see how it goes, and I'll continue to post my progress, until complete. :)

Attachments

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I am beginning to hate this four stroke. It just won't start. Seems a more serious problem. Not getting spark, removed spark plug, and it was wet with oil. Gonna see if can trade it in at some small engine shop somewhere. lol

I want to just run my CH80 the way it is, with no screw in the small drive sprocket, ride it till it dies. lol.

anyone ever run a two stroke with the small screw missing from the small drive sprocket on the inside right of the engine? How'd it turn out?

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
I am beginning to hate this four stroke. It just won't start. Seems a more serious problem. Not getting spark, removed spark plug, and it was wet with oil. Gonna see if can trade it in at some small engine shop somewhere. lol

I want to just run my CH80 the way it is, with no screw in the small drive sprocket, ride it till it dies. lol.

anyone ever run a two stroke with the small screw missing from the small drive sprocket on the inside right of the engine? How'd it turn out?
oh you mean inside the cover, the helical gear? if thats what you mean, get some red loctite, load it up and put it back on, the fill where the screw used to go with jb weld, it should hold, but you wont be able to change the gear or split the engine ever again,

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I do mean inside the cover, yes. That small flat head screw came out, it stripped the screw and the shaft where the screw screws into. (the small sprocket, screw goes in the middle) Can you explain the red loctite a little more? do you mean remove the sprocket? I really don't want to do that. Lol, not sure it will come off, cause don't I need a puller that will screw in? It's stripped, and a puller wont work. Can I just fill it like crazy with JB weld, and that's that? I don't care to split the engine, I just need the damn thing to work. If it breaks past this point, I could care less, it just sits there anyways. I figure I've gotta try, cause the engine still works, I took it off because of that screw, I didn't want to wreck the engine.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
I do mean inside the cover, yes. That small flat head screw came out, it stripped the screw and the shaft where the screw screws into. (the small sprocket, screw goes in the middle) Can you explain the red loctite a little more? do you mean remove the sprocket? I really don't want to do that. Lol, not sure it will come off, cause don't I need a puller that will screw in? It's stripped, and a puller wont work. Can I just fill it like crazy with JB weld, and that's that? I don't care to split the engine, I just need the damn thing to work. If it breaks past this point, I could care less, it just sits there anyways. I figure I've gotta try, cause the engine still works, I took it off because of that screw, I didn't want to wreck the engine.
they may have loctited it from the factory, i would suggest taking it off and load it with some good loctite, but if its on its on, what i think is a good idea would be, you said the screw stripped out? well you still have the screw right? fill the striped out hole with jb weld, and then hammer the slot screw in there, let it cure for 24 hours, and that will NEVER come off,

just dont get any jb weld on the teeth

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Lol, you've got me all excited now. I do still have the screw. It jams up if you try to get it in there, so I'll likely need to file it so that it just slips in. Maybe I'll dremel some small grooves down the slot screw, so the JB weld REALLY holds, and there's no chance of getting it out. lol. God I hope it works! ha ha

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Lol, you've got me all excited now. I do still have the screw. It jams up if you try to get it in there, so I'll likely need to file it so that it just slips in. Maybe I'll dremel some small grooves down the slot screw, so the JB weld REALLY holds, and there's no chance of getting it out. lol. God I hope it works! ha ha
yeah jb weld is amazing stuff, just make sure you mix it good! and have fun, keep in mind those gears do eventually wear out, so you probably wont get ore than 1000kms on this mod(depending on how many kms are already on your bike) my gears wore out by 3000kms

make sure its clean, clean the entire screw and gear with break cleaner, and yeah dremmel it out, but you want a very tight fit, and put jb weld on the gear face(where the slot screws face will make contact with the gear, not the teeth!)

oh and yeah put some slots on the screw(not to deep though you dont want it to break!) that will give it great hold,

then leave it for a day or two, and it should be fine, but no promises. get the real jb weld, not the knockoffs, there junk.

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I've got everything ready, gonna go get the JB weld in a minute. This seems like something I should have done a loooong time ago! lol. I've been struggling with transportation since this thing stripped it's screw. It still works except for that. I just didn't want to wreck it. Seeing it sit there unused, for so long, has made me not care, just as long as the damn thing stays together and does what I need it to do. If it dies past this, I'll just buy new. lol

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
I've got everything ready, gonna go get the JB weld in a minute. This seems like something I should have done a loooong time ago! lol. I've been struggling with transportation since this thing stripped it's screw. It still works except for that. I just didn't want to wreck it. Seeing it sit there unused, for so long, has made me not care, just as long as the damn thing stays together and does what I need it to do. If it dies past this, I'll just buy new. lol

yeah, it should hold fine, just let the jb weld cure, and make sure the surface is clean! any 2 stroke oil will lessen your chances of it holding,

MarksA-C

Nov 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Using an engine like that is problematic. It has an aluminum flywheel and the mower blade acts as the mass to help keep the motor running properly. If you do plan on using it, your going to need to look for a cast flywheel or a heavy pulley or something.

I would honestly just look for a different engine. Thats my 2 cents worth.

johnnieT

Nov 8, 2011
Chesapeake
check air gap between coil and flywheel and if no joy, remove flywheel to inspect. you may have points behind flywheel not visible unless you remove flywheel. check if woodruff key has sheared. if all is well, reinstall.Compression?Fuel?Spark? ...valve seats, nylon camshaft... all good then, theoretically,it should start provided you executed all the basic troubleshooting.... 1 check gas, empty old fuel replace with fresh gasoline. 2 engine produces spark, clean plug,replace plug. 3 compression, plug out, pull start w finger lightly over plug seat.

vertical shaft- youll have to use a gearbox from an old golfcart or lawntractor differential to transfer the power. jackshafts and some weldments will be required for fitment.