Having Issues- New To Forum

GoldenMotor.com

Chrismbello

Nov 8, 2009
Gainesville
Oh also one more thing. I was thinking about somehow welding the motor to the bike to keep it from getting stolen (I go to university of florida and lots of bikes are stolen here) any input on that idea?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i was thinking about how someone would steal the motor. you'd have to either take the chain off, or take the back wheel off and leave the chain dangling. with no masterlink, it might be almost impossible to take the back wheel off, depending on your frame's drop-outs.

next, you'd have to cut the throttle and clutch cables (faster than disconnecting them)

pull the plug wire, cut the cdi wires, unbolt the engine, get covered in gas when you rip the fuel line out...

it'd probably take me at least a half an hour, probably more to simply rip your engine out.

then, it'd be almost worthless to me, unless i took a lot more time to steal the rest of the kit.

it would be a million times easier and faster to just steal your whole bike.

if you have to leave it somewhere for long periods of time, make sure it's out in the open, and locked securely to something. i like locking mine to the gas pipes on buildings. that way, if some tweaker tries to steal my bike by cutting the line, he'll blow up.

Chrismbello

Nov 8, 2009
Gainesville
i was thinking about how someone would steal the motor. you'd have to either take the chain off, or take the back wheel off and leave the chain dangling. with no masterlink, it might be almost impossible to take the back wheel off, depending on your frame's drop-outs.

next, you'd have to cut the throttle and clutch cables (faster than disconnecting them)

pull the plug wire, cut the cdi wires, unbolt the engine, get covered in gas when you rip the fuel line out...

it'd probably take me at least a half an hour, probably more to simply rip your engine out.

then, it'd be almost worthless to me, unless i took a lot more time to steal the rest of the kit.

it would be a million times easier and faster to just steal your whole bike.

if you have to leave it somewhere for long periods of time, make sure it's out in the open, and locked securely to something. i like locking mine to the gas pipes on buildings. that way, if some tweaker tries to steal my bike by cutting the line, he'll blow up.
Well the thing is with a chain cutter would take 2 minutes or so. People steal back tires and stuff here, which arent worth much but still worth enough to steal i suppose so a motor would go by fast. Theres no way i can lock the motor to my bike, but I can easily lock my bike up with a u lock that not much can be done about. I doubt they could take my bike at all, its just that motor, I dont know if theres any sort of lock mechanism that would work either?

kahnowerh

Oct 26, 2009
Washington, District of Columbia
if someone wants it, they'll steal it.
doesn't matter how many locks you put on it.

however, very few people are going to go to the trouble to bolt cut all this stuff off of your bike and figure out how to put it back together (they'd have a heck of a time actually selling one of these as just motor).

if you're leaving it for a few hours, lock it up well (like you would any bike).
if you're leaving it for a while, put it in a secure place and lock it up well.

I worry more about people fiddling with/vandalizing my bike than stealing it.
But, really, the amount of attention these things get just sitting there—if it's out in the open, people are more likely to just stand and stare for a few minutes than steal it. and i doubt anyone's going to go steal something with a crowd around it.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
I have left my MB twice because I had a flat tire, and did not have a spare tube nor the repair kit. I locked it and covered it with an old shower curtain and tied a knot at the front and back wheels, the following day, everything was still there. :)

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
can threadlockers be removed tho?
Contrary to popular belief... yes. It does slow you down though. A lot!

This whole discussion is silly. As was mentioned the whole bike will be taken if somebody wants it. Not only easier to do but far more useful than just an engine.