Heard a pop, now it doesn't work

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
i have no idea what you're talking about, but my wires don't screw in :)
From SBP downloads:

Spark Plug Wire
Remove your old spark plug wire from the CDI box by unscrewing it in a
counterclockwise rotation. Test fit the plug wire and cut it to an appropriate length. Screw
the cut end of the plug wire into the CDI box using a clockwise rotation and apply firm
pressure toward the CDI at the same time. The plug boot will require a standard ball type
end on you plug. The old stock one had this piece removed exposing a threaded tip. This
boot will not work with the stock plug. Be sure to acquire the correct plug.

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
ok, so i tried what you all said and i saw no spark coming from the plug. also, my wire "boot" thing is now in 2 parts. the rubber part has completely detatched itself from the other part but they're both still there. is that bad? do i need a new cable?

also, the spark plug itself doesnt really look like it would be bad. i mean, it doesnt look much different than it did when i put it in. what should or shouldnt it look like??
It sounds like the sparkplug wire is not connected to the boot, not from the CDI (black box) like everyone has been saying. I recomend going to an auto parts store like autozone, napa, advanced auto parts, etc to get a spark plug wire (bring the old wire as well). The wire should be 7 or 8mm for good performance. They should have some wire in the back and it will be less than $5. Cut the wire to the length needed to go from the black box to the spark plug. Install the new wire into the CDI like pablo stated earlier, then connect the other end to the sparkplug. That should solve your problem. The stock wire that comes with the kits is not all that great anyway. My stock wire and boot did the same thing of coming apart.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I gotta wonder did you unscrew the cap off of the spark plug it has to be removed for the plug wire to attatch properly. It is kinda silver color tip looks alot like a pellet from a BB gun when ya take it off.

amyvomit

Sep 25, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Norman,

in your tutorial of the boot assemply, there is a picture of a little staple looking thing on your finger. is that thing important? right after i heard this pop and then took off the boot, this clip fell out and i disregarded it and threw it away.

do i need a whole new wire? or just a new boot? or whole new CDI and wire?

thanks

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Norman,

in your tutorial of the boot assemply, there is a picture of a little staple looking thing on your finger. is that thing important? right after i heard this pop and then took off the boot, this clip fell out and i disregarded it and threw it away.

do i need a whole new wire? or just a new boot? or whole new CDI and wire?

thanks
the staple is what holds the boot on the plug, you should still get spark if gravity is holding the plug down, so i doubt thats the problem, but it is important, just make one out of wire, paperclip will work,
if you cut and bent it, unless you lost the entire copper piece in the boot, then you wont get spark and it wont run,

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
A simple way to check out your engine for compression or to check
your ignition system, is to support your bike onto a milk crate. You
might also have to use a book or a piece of wood if your muffler gets
in the way. After the bike sits steadily on the crate, you can easily
rotate the rear wheel to check for spark with the plug removed, or
for compression with your finger inserted in the spark plug hole.