My cvt build from I am just posting not competing

GoldenMotor.com

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I finally got hold of a camera.

With wind resistance the best speed so far is 57.6 mph
With wind resistance the best legal speed so far is 20.0 mph

This is with a smaller engine 45cc ,and a smaller cvt, and a smaller bike .
Economy size .
Much cheaper than a moroni.

Attachments

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Looking good Spad4me Cvt is a good Idea! Glad it worked! I see a linux desktop there too. Another linux user very cool! I wanted to get a Cvt maybe on another build. Looks like a multi speed rear hub there hows that working out? Reason I ask is I am guising your favoring the larger rear sprockets? Gave me an Idea I will post my gear ratio later on my build . Show a linux desk top too. LOL Say thats the Automatrix Version Desk top Aye?

What motor is that from gotta love simplicity. Good score!

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
MY bad, I should have been clearer.

This is inside the cvt
The top numbers are the ratio inside the cvt 10 to 60 and in the next photo 10 to 30.
They are the action of the reduction of the cvt .
I could have used 1 to 6 for the start about 3,000 rpm when the clutch grabs to 1 to 3 which is the final reduction at high rpms for the cvt
The following is outside the cvt.

The output shaft of the cvt is a ten tooth sprocket feeding a 48 tooth front freewheel sprocket connected to a 24 tooth drive sprocket which feeds the rear cassette.
With the front peddlable jack shaft from a shift kit I can use the standard sprockets.

The engine is a gp 460 from Daves Discount motors with a 77 mm built in clutch.
bb88xx

With a tuned pipe good reliability . And will turn 11,000 to 15,000 rpm all day long.
The variator weights will melt in the 120 plus Arizona heat, I use cut down brass sleeves.
You may want to look at a mitusibishi 5 to 1 transmission for less maintenance.
I am .

Go here for cvt advise
CVT Q&A thread - GopedNation Community
Before you decide it is for you.

In town driving with traffic the cvt shifts for me .
I use the rear cassette for ranges.
I usually just use third, or fourth, maybe fifth.
LOL .

First will destroy the chain.
Second will climb a tree.
Sixth is for stupid downhill runs.
Way to fast for the bad roads here.

Last edited:

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
That gear calc doesn't work for me. Maybe someone will clear it up? Heres what I get:confused:
You may need to enter 1 to 1 in some of the fields.

What are you trying to calculate.
For mine I use 10 to 60 in the top field , this inside the cvt. low .
The output sprocket from the cvt has ten teeth it feeds a 48 tooth sick bike parts sprocket.
So the next two numbers are 10 and 48.
Mechanically connected to the 44 tooth sprocket is a 24 tooth sick bike parts drive sprocket driving the six speed .cassette.
So the last two numbers are 24 to 24 or what ever one of the six cassette gear speeds I use.

10 to 60 , This could also be 10 to 30 for high rpm's. This is inside the cvt.
10 to 48
24 to 24 or whatever

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Well in order from top to bottom of the fields I entered is the order of the sprockets from motor to wheel. 10 28 14 38 36 28. Is the order from engine sprocket to 28 the cassette on the wheel. Thanks 15000 rpms wow very cool! that thing is fast! I was figuring my set up for 11000 max rpm? Hows the chatter on the rear chain just wondering haven't road mine yet?

Last edited:

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Well in order from top to bottom of the fields I entered is the order of the sprockets from motor to wheel. 10 28 14 48 44 28. Is the order from engine sprocket to 28 the cassette on the wheel. Thanks 15000 rpms wow very cool! that thing is fast! I was figuring my set up for 11000 max rpm? Hows the chatter on the rear chain just wondering haven't road mine yet?

Sick bike parts has a method to adjust the multispeed chain going to the dérailleur. They also recommend a new chain that they sell on there site.
For their setup.

This is NOT a sick bike parts setup . I just used a couple of their parts.

You have to remove the chain for this adjustment and NOT use the dérailleur just the largest sprocket and the driven sprocket.
I believe with the dérailleur chain around the single drive sprocket and the largest driven sprocket. You add one complete link about one inch .Onlly one link.
Then you reinstall the dérailleur and the shortened chain . With the hanging down part at 5 o clock.

Road test carefully.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Thanks I assumed you had a dérailleur on your rear cog set. I am not really worried about the chain chatter. I thought this one out all summer. As for the gearing I did the math in my head. Its close to the SBP equation never did use any of these charts. The one I posted makes no sense. Thanks for the advise. I will check SBP site for their chain. I got a sram pc-951 9 speed. Will see how long it takes to stretch out. I am guising 2000 miles it will be cooked.
Have fun with that ride be careful. LOL
I would probably get a wild hair going and get in some kind of trouble . Gotta play around with that kind of power! Well just a little:D

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Thanks I assumed you had a dérailleur on your rear cog set. I am not really worried about the chain chatter. I thought this one out all summer. As for the gearing I did the math in my head. Its close to the SBP equation never did use any of these charts. The one I posted makes no sense. Thanks for the advise. I will check SBP site for their chain. I got a sram pc-951 9 speed. Will see how long it takes to stretch out. I am guising 2000 miles it will be cooked.
Have fun with that ride be careful. LOL
I would probably get a wild hair going and get in some kind of trouble . Gotta play around with that kind of power! Well just a little:D
With the cvt shfting for me from no peddle starts to as fast as the selected rear cassette gear will allow me to go.
Then if necessary select another cassette gear.
And maybe soon yet another gear LOL.

In an attempted theft the bike was sawed in half .That is why it is painted black.
It was made to go grocery shopping.
You can still see the cut tail light wires and the cut kill switch wires.

I also have not put the baskets back on yet

trimguy247

Oct 27, 2009
orlando
sweet set up i like it that is nice hope u get plenty of miles on her is it heavy and how many gears does it have did u use one that was built allready

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Spad, Great Build. My Two Cvt Build Have Worked Great With The Free Wheels. Have Not Put Many Miles On Them, Did A Top Frame Titan Shifter A Month Ago,7 Speeds, Have 6 Working. It Is To Much Fun. Really Like The Control With The Manual Shifting. Your Build Is One Great Piece Of Engineering!! With The Shifter It Keeps The Titan Rpm Down, It Pulls Great In The Lower Rpm`s. All Of These Little Motors Are Great Little Fellows, Like Friends!! Lol. Would You Do It The Same Again?? You Mentioned The 5:1 Tranny. Used That In My Shifter. Started A "titan In Frame Shifter" Thread In "diy" Area. Carry My 9mm P95 Decocker, If I See Anybody With An Az Sun Tan Carrying A Hack Saw, Will Inform Him Of Your Sediments!! Ron