new waeeanty change from bikeberry

GoldenMotor.com

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
i've been getting and reccomending 80cc motors per bikeberry.com for almost a year now.
one of the main reasons has been the motor exchange 6 month warranty. any major problems or failure you pay shipping both ways and get a new motor.

this has changed!

now you have to tear down the motor and take pictures of the bad parts. they send you those parts only and you have to repair it yourself!

i am NOT a small engine mechanic!!! i don't know how to tear them down and don't care to learn.
i beleave that most folks that buy these are NOT mechanics!

i bought a motor 5 months ago with the original type 6 month waranty. after 1400 miles the piston blew and siezed. Jack at bikeberry informed me that the new parts only warranty is now in effect and will not replace the motor. this is BOGUS, i still have a month under the original agreement.

now i have a motor that is useless. what good is this warranty to me?

i install these for people and have referred ove 30 people to Jack to buy from them (that way they get the warranty in theit name) and i install them.

i don't trust them now and will be reffering my customers to DAX or zone8..

stay dry
gubba

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
If you bought the motor with a 6 month EXCHANGE warranty and have it in writing they MUST honor it. They can't make a policy change and have it be retroactive thereby voiding previously made warranty contracts.

You buy a new car with a 36 month bumper to bumper warranty and 30 months into it the company can't just say "Oh sorry we changed our mind so now it's a parts only warranty and you have to pay labor"

The more I hear about how these dealers are handling their "warranties" I'm glad I didn't bother buying from a company that had one because they all seem to be pretty much worthless as far as honoring them.

axeiom

Aug 28, 2009
Chicago
Oh boy...

I bought an engine from bike berry. IMO I think that this policy change is bad business on their
part. Maybe this is a result of too many abusing/scamming the policy.

I hope I dont get any serious engine problems now.

Just for my reference How does a piston blow and seize? is there any preventive maintanence
for that? or does that just happen after time?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well it's true that changing the warranty that people already have is bad business, that is perhaps a poor decision on their part...

In all fairness though, offering a 6 month replacement guarantee on these less-than-$200 Chinese motors is borderline insanity from a business's point of view.

How many returns must they have gotten from impatient n00bs who didn't understand it takes a while for these things to break in and run properly? I would have considered it had I a Bikeberry motor during that first 200 miles or so on my first build.

A parts warranty on these engines I think is a damn sight more than fair. In all honesty - "I'm not a mechanic" doesn't hold much water with me when a top end rebuild entails a whole 4 bolts and as many parts lol

Ya ride a bike like this and you'll learn to wrench trufax ;)

It's a fact they should honor the warranty on engines sold when replacement was still offered, "grandfather" all engines purchased before the warranty change - that's fair and good business. However - I bet this was simply an oversight on their part, perhaps even an act of desperation having been flooded with "broken" motor kits that may be just fine.

Try to look at it from both sides, Bikeberry had served us well in the past - the warranty was only part of that service and they're quite reasonable on the phone if you need their help. Remember - a six month parts warranty is still quite generous for these POS engines.

If ya want "bad" businesses, there's PLENTY out there - I don't think Bikeberry is one of 'em though.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Just for my reference How does a piston blow and seize? is there any preventive maintanence
for that? or does that just happen after time?
Lack of proper lubrication, overheating, running too lean a mix, neglect and letting it corrode w/o using it, general abuse...

There's a few things that could cause a seizure, but usually if you treat it properly it's not a concern. Most if not all the causes of a seized engine are no more or less likely to effect a Chinese motor than a quality Honda or w/e - the number one cause is of course rampant abuse lol

Don't sweat it man - even if you DO manage to seize one - it's a wicked easy fix. Even if the parts weren't covered by a warranty, it's under $50 for the ENTIRE top end of the engine and wouldn't take ya a 1/2hr to fix it ;)

The "charm" of a 2 stroke is double sided, on the one hand they need more maintenance - on the other, they're an extremely easy motor to fix with just a few basic tools. :D

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Lack of proper lubrication, overheating, running too lean a mix, neglect and letting it corrode w/o using it, general abuse...

- the number one cause is of course rampant abuse lol
Actually #1 cause is "cold seizure" resulting from those who crank on it before getting to the end of the driveway. In any case seizure is not high on the list of failure modes anyway.