Clutch Engagement~ May I Clarify?

GoldenMotor.com

Cowboy Rider

Apr 20, 2009
Illinois
I don't want to be arrogant, but may I share what I know about Clutch Functions here?

When I see Disengage, that to me means it IS in Neutral. AKA, Not Being Driven by the Engine. When I see Engage, that means the Engine IS Driving the Clutch and the rest of the Drive Train. In the case of our Motorcycles, this means the Engine is Engaged with and Powering the Rear drive Sprocket.

In a Car, Disengage means you are stepping on the pedal and letting the engine run while the car is at a full stop. With the bikes, this means you are holding the Clutch lever in at a full stop.

To Engage the clutch in a car, you release your foot from the Pedal to get the engine to drive the car. In our Bikes, we release the hand control lever to allow the engine to also get the engine to drive the bike.

Remember: Engage means Activate, while Disengage means Deactivate. Doesn't that make more sense?

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I grew up in Minnesota and Arizona, spent a few years in Cali. Actually had drivers licenses issued from 2 of those states, got to drive in Cali on an expired one, (perk of being in the Marine Corps)

Disengaged means not running, free and happy go lucky, tje gears are doing nothing.
Engaged means gonna get married so you are working. the gears are making something happen, LOL.

Hey do you have my cooler on the back of your bike?

Nerevar

Oct 9, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
yeah yeah... i know this post was directed at me... sorry for the slip. I know thats the difference i just wrote DISengage instead of engage. There goes my theory about me being perfect...

Cowboy Rider

Apr 20, 2009
Illinois
yeah yeah... i know this post was directed at me...
Not at all sir, and I mean no disrespect.

I just wanted to clarify my understanding for when I will post up my own questions about the clutch being Engaged, Disengaged or Slipping.

I'm the newbie here, and have already have my own questions in mind about these clutches here. As I become familiar with this forum, I'll be asking about the adjustments needed on the clutch. (Or, I'll find the answer here already, with a little luck?)

Anyhow, I hope I didn't just start off on the wrong foot here with you guys. .duh.

Cowboy Rider

Apr 20, 2009
Illinois
Hey do you have my cooler on the back of your bike?
Hope. Just an old Milk Crate I had when I hauled some Geocaching gear with my daughter last year. (back when it was still a Pedal Bike)

I've since removed that when I was trying to eye up the chain alignment again on the Engine Install.

I'll be looking into some other ways to haul some stuff though on the bike. And I'll certainly look into something better looking than that old Milk Crate.

Cowboy Rider

Apr 20, 2009
Illinois
BTW, here's a Pic of my hand controls.

Left Thumb disengages the Clutch when I pull that lever. Disengage Engine/Allow Neutral.

Left and Right fingers activate the Brakes. (Hmm.. Engage Brakes , right?)

Right Hand works the throttle, of course.

I realize now how confusing this can be interpreted. OK, so to me, Engage means Friction. Both with the brakes and the clutch.

Well, not unlike the Marriage Analogy, now is it? :rolleyes: