Scored a cool gas tank at Long Beach today

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Pretty perfect inside and out. It's off of a Lohmann diesel moped and attaches to the seat post just in front of the tear tire. Great for a clean motor bike build on a vintage cruiser with a horn tank. The fuel valve is pretty low and would need an impulse pump to get gas up to the carb. The rear curve fits 26'' tires nicely.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Pretty cool... I recall reading about the Lohman diesel motors. They predate WWII, don't they? And ignition was by compression or something strange. I never did quite understand how they worked. Nice find!
SB

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks SB. They produced 51,000 units between 1950 and 1954. Researching a little, I found what appears to be gas mopeds as well. Some very nice vintage adds online. The compression fired motors weren't true diesels as they had no injection or ignition source, and were described as mixture compressing, self igniting motors. The twist grips controlled the sliding cylinder to start and run. It looks like it will hold about a liter of fuel. I don't have plans for it yet, but may have to build a bike around it.

AssembleThis

May 11, 2014
NC United States
Hi silverbear!

Yes there is no ignition on diesel engines. That's the main difference from gas engines. The tolerances with diesels are much closer too. Ignition is provided by compressing the air fuel mixture under intense pressure. There are however glow plugs which warm the cylinders, when the engine is cold. I worked as a diesel mechanic in my younger years. Don't miss the fuel smell, or being covered in black oil all the time though, lolol.

Dave
AssembleThis

usflg

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Dave,
I recall reading a thread about someone's experiences with one of these Lohman diesel bicycle motors. It was quite small and of minuscule displacement. The writer was a lady, and this was in the years after WWII (early 1950's?) when Europe was still recovering from the war, money was tight and motored bicycles were popular for practical reasons. Anyway, these Lohman's were difficult to get going and I remember laughing at this lady's description of having pedaled so hard and fast to get hers started that she was afraid she might catch her pants on fire with the effort. Ha!
SB

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Neat Tank! Is there some old paint or coating, or light corrosion that is of no consequence?

Some diesel remote control miniature engines I've seen even without glow plugs and instead have a screw that goes down into the top of the head making greater compression (even with lower volume OK) and is used just to start. Then after starting, unscrew to proper lower pressure for max rpm and it runs.

MT

http://www.eifflaender.com/enginepics.htm

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Neat Tank! Is there some old paint or coating, or light corrosion that is of no consequence?

Some diesel remote control miniature engines I've seen even without glow plugs and instead have a screw that goes down into the top of the head making greater compression (even with lower volume OK) and is used just to start. Then after starting, unscrew to proper lower pressure for max rpm and it runs.

MT

http://www.eifflaender.com/enginepics.htm
Hi MT. It looks like original paint, but the tank is in very good condition. No rust or big dents.