Need Help With Battery Connections

GoldenMotor.com

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
Hi Guys,
Just got my 48v 15ah LiPo for my Magic Pie3 from Ping Battery across the pond and have questions about hooking it up. In pics 1 & 3 the wire from the battery were sealed/capped off on the ends but I removed them thinking that these were the wires for supplying the current to the MP3 but have second thoughts since the wires from the MP3 are so much smaller in diameter. What are those connections in Pic # 3 for?
Hope I didn't order the wrong kind of battery. Please help

Attachments

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
the battery power leads are usually larger then the power leads from the pie so that should not be a problem. . I would email ping though. not sure at all what all those wires coming off the bms are. I have never seen a battery set up like this. personally I wouldn't hook anything up till I found out for sure, maybe someone else can help. I know barelyawake got his battery from ping

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The heavy gauge leads from the batt go to the MP3 power leads.

The connectors on the flat cables need to be connected to each other. They are the BMS connections. Do not charge or operate the battery w/o the connectors connected.

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
Mike,
I made the connections to the flat cables but when I tried to make the connections to the battery it started to spark! Should I connect the battery 1st then connect the flat cables? Sure don't want to fry something after spending all this dough.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Mike B is on the money, the BMS connectors need to be together before anything else is done - the spark you had was most likely just a momentary discharge, mine does that from time to time when disconnecting/connecting the main power leads.

...unless it continues sparking, gets hot & smokes ofc ;)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Everytime you connect the batt to the pie you will get this spark. It is the inrush current charging the capacitors.

This is the reason I use a 15A rated standard AC line plug as my switch, I don't want this spark to weld a toggle switch contacts.

The "key" is just a mating plug with a 14g solid copper wire shorting it out.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
It would seem that a manufacturer could use a circuit that would delay the inrush current. Let it slowly ramp up for a few seconds, a light then comes on saying ready to use or the likes.

I know taking out defective CRT's from oscilloscopes when I worked on them, we used a high voltage probe and a resistor to cut down on the arcing when discharging them before disposal. A CRT is effectively a big capacitor.

MT