I ruined my bike the day I got my kit

GoldenMotor.com

Rnroutlaw

Nov 15, 2008
Norwalk,Ohio
I am so dissapointed....I just got my motor kit and had my cruiser bicycle ready to except it...so I thought. As I was following the steps and getting ready to mount my sprocket I find that it won't fit over the coaster brake arm. So clever me decides to loosen the nut over the coaster brake arm so I can pull the arm off. In doing so I pulled the whole bolt contraption out and falling to the ground was bearings and maybe something else but I couldnt find anything. Now that I have put it back together the wheel doesn't spinn right. Should I take the wheel to a bike repair shop and maybe they can fix it or do I need to buy a brand new rear wheel? I am so pissed at myself!

1_2Mini

Oct 2, 2008
Hahaha I remember the first time I spilled wheel bearings all over the place. About 15 years ago I was restoring an old Mongoose BMX bike and the crank ball bearings went everywhere.

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
When you are past this problem you will be glad you chose a cruiser bicycle in my opinion. I adjusted the existing bends in my coaster brake arm to clear the sprocket while the arm was off. One more thing, You can replace your front fork with a suspension fork which also has a front brake on it. I did this and the added suspension and front brake are worth the miminal effort to do so.

Attachments

Last edited:

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Saetta. You would be well advised to trade in that alloy stem for a steel one to hold those ape hangers. A guy posted on here not long ago that had snapped one due to the extra leverage involved. It wasn't pretty.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
When I dissembled my coaster I reached a point of "Oh shucks, where do all these bits and pieces go?" I wrestled with it for awhile like a Rubik's Cube until it went back together, nothing like the instructions I looked at LATER.
The instructions on the correct method seemed a little too complex anyway. My method involved holding the hub weirdly and "gluing" the pieces in there with griz. :D