new Carb and exhaust yay!!

GoldenMotor.com

moosinatrix

Sep 2, 2009
Houston, TX
so, i got a new carb, ordered it off of ebay. Its a cheap china carb for 80-100cc scooters. first problem i had with this carb was it was to bid to mount on the manifold. this was remedied with a smmall piece of pvc and some good ole fashion human ingenuity.

once i solved that problem it was on to the throttle cable, the stock cable didnt extend out of the sheathe long enough for the slide to sit at idle, as well as the stock twist throttle didnt move the cable enough. solved this with a twist throttle/killswitch from a dead yamaha rt180 works extremely well, just have to do something about the extra cable (originally used for oil feed, 2 stroke dirtbike)

my sweet new exhuast is off of a suzuki 50cc atv. has a bigger port and a rather small but noticeable expansion chamber that was U shaped and about 1'' in diameter and 6 inches from flange to pipe. i cut a few bend out of the pipe and then welded it back onto the exp. chamber. i shortened the pipe a bit to much so now my heall its the back of the muffler and my toes hit the expanion chamber from time to time. i welded a bolt to my bike frame to secu the muffler in the back, using a nut combo to hold it in place.

i installed the carb and tuned it and ran it for a little while, more responsive but no other noticable gains.

i installed pipe and had to tune the carb once again, still working on it, as i lean it out it starts racing and trying to die, if i richen it up, it doesnt get that smooth sweet spot that 2 smokers have when im at high RPM. but through out the range otherwise pulls great and has that nice smooth sound. it baffles me.

im also wondering if i should cut the pipe and weld in a washer at the back of the exp. chamber to get a little more back pressure, the pipe seems too free flowing and the engine is pinging quite a bit with the exhaust the way it is now. I have been running running 40:1 with no pinging or anything like that, i really think it just lacks a little back pressure.

opinions and ideas, welcome.
Pics coming soon (when there is daylight)

Moosinatrix

moosinatrix

Sep 2, 2009
Houston, TX
also i forgot to mention the new carb is a whopping 18.5mm compared to the stock at 12.5mm

although somehow i cant help but think my intake manifold is holding me back. guess ill have to make one.

also looking to change sprocket out for a 36t, it has stock ( i cant remember either 40 or 44)

Also went to walmart and bought a skateboard ( they didnt carry just the wheels how lame) and cut a groove into a wheel and had a new tensioner as this morning my bearings in my sprocket tensioner off the tricycle wore out. chain caught up in the engine and everything locked up. thank god nothing broke i was doing about 27-28 mph.

i also decided to shorten the chain. but when ahead and replaced it all together. Tractor supply is a wonderful store for the MB rider that is a DIY kind of person.

i will be outfittind a headlight off a 49cc mini motorcycle, as well as brackets for turn signals and wiring harness for the lights.

im building all this on a trek mountain bike with sure narrow street tires but i came across a nice full suspension beach cruiser at my uncles house. im having a little trouble convincing him to let it go.

moosinatrix

Sep 2, 2009
Houston, TX
i also stuffed some steel wool inside the muffler to make up for some back pressure, really helped, i think it needs more, but i dont wanna cut and weld the muffler again unless i move it.

moosinatrix

Sep 2, 2009
Houston, TX
ok so im trying to get the carb tuned cant get itto smooth out at WOT, so i take the jet outof the stock carb and putitin then new carb.

new carb is a total piece, it works well but man the metal is so brittle and weak...
i have 2 of them and i got a refund for them as well..... so that tells you.

well in the process of reattaching the float bowl it broke. i thought it was from me dropping it.
no problem take the float bowl off the other carb.... i put it on when i noticed the crack in it... from over tightening. the metal is that cheap!!!

so i sealed it with some RTV hopefully it works!!!