asthetics questions (with teaser pics) :)

GoldenMotor.com

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
Can't show the finished pics yet, (because it isn't finished) ;) but I wanted to get some opinions on a couple things.

Rear fender length? I like the look of the really short fenders that don't extend much farther than the rear seat, but I doubt they do much for protection, so how much farther could I cut this and still have it be useful? This length looks alright, but not very "boardtrack" IMO.

Exhaust? How far should I go to make my exhaust look a little less "crappy two-stroke"? I think most of the expansion pipes look worse than stock, so I planned to modify the shape and use header-wrap to make the exhaust look more like a "straight pipe". What's your favorite looking BTR exhaust for these engines and why?

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Your boots are nice...laff

Cut the fender a little more towards the seat and it should be fine. I have made a few exhaust and the stock one can be made to look alright if you extend the header part to get it lower and back some.

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
When you say "extend the header" do you mean cut and weld an extension? Welding is a skill I do not yet posess (yet), but I may be able to find someone who can...

How far up should I cut the fender? Up past the vertical supports? or just a few more inches?

Keringkien

Feb 15, 2012
Toowoomba, Australia
I agree, short fender looks nicer, as with the pipe, I would attempt to shape it to fit the frame... Just in an attempt to keep the motor looking as though it belongs there...

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
I agree, short fender looks nicer, as with the pipe, I would attempt to shape it to fit the frame... Just in an attempt to keep the motor looking as though it belongs there...
Lol, I had to bend the pipe out quite a bit to get enough frame/pedal clearance, (long cranks?). I must say it was a lot harder to bend than I thought it'd be, even using a propane torch while the pipe was bolted to a vise!

The fiber wrap should look nice on that china pipe. Is there a chance we can get a peek of that in-frame tank:)?
To be honest, I'd be a little embarrassed to show the tank until it's finished and painted. Especially with all the beautiful work that's done on this forum.

For starters, you need to tighten up your chain more. That's far too loose.
Thanks, maybe it loosened up during break-in.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
To be honest, I'd be a little embarrassed to show the tank until it's finished and painted. Especially with all the beautiful work that's done on this forum.
I know exactly how you feel. I'm working on my second tank, but it's my first slab-sided tank. The torpedo tank was a cinch. But my new tank won't be pretty until it has paint all over it.

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
I know exactly how you feel. I'm working on my second tank, but it's my first slab-sided tank. The torpedo tank was a cinch. But my new tank won't be pretty until it has paint all over it.
Yeah, and I didn't even weld this, (but I did make the posterboard templates)

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151132563490551.786495.848230550&type=3&l=7ac70f5476

last pic in the set, if you dont mind high pipes you can have that pipe for cheap if you would like it, im not running my smoker any more
Not bad, I kinda like it. Not sure if it'll fit on my frame though. Are you in Madison? I'm 90 miles North.

ANTIQUECYCLES

Mar 2, 2012
Inland Empire
Howdy,
I would suggest cutting that fender all the up to the stays. The best way would be to relocate the stays at "12 O' clock" and have the fender go to "1 O'clock". (IMO)

As for the pipe, I agree with you on the looks but in the big scheme of things it isnt "that bad". After you get everything else in line your eyes dont focus on the little things...

ride it like you stole it....

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
Howdy,
I would suggest cutting that fender all the up to the stays. The best way would be to relocate the stays at "12 O' clock" and have the fender go to "1 O'clock". (IMO)

As for the pipe, I agree with you on the looks but in the big scheme of things it isnt "that bad". After you get everything else in line your eyes dont focus on the little things...

ride it like you stole it....
I didn't have the fender bolted in, so the stays might be vertical when the bolts are lined up. But if I have to, it'd be easy to drill some new holes to make it vertical.
I'm HOPING everything else comes in line! I just ordered an RBR vintage saddle. Looks like the best, (for the price). Shipping was almost as much as the seat though! :-||

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
What do you guys think about stands? I'm just using the side-stand now, even though I bought a folding center-stand that bolts under the pedals. I thought it really messed up the BTR look, it didn't even fold up parallel to the ground, but hung down somewhat. Not good at all. The rear axle center stands don't seem quite right on a bike with a short fender.