GXH 50 Question

GoldenMotor.com

GSC-Fab

Sep 18, 2010
Inland Empire, CA.
Gxh 50 engine with a cvt torque converter..? any thoughts? Some companies say a minimum of 2hp for some cvt's would this be enough? Also is removing the governor difficult on the honda? any info helps, thanks

strotter

Aug 7, 2008
I think that would be the ultimate set up.
I replaced the carb on my Honda. It was easier then trying to bypass governor.

Are you thinking rack mount with a chain?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I like CVT's and I like little GXH Honda engines. I think if you put a CVT on a GXH 50, you will have no power left to turn your back wheel at a decent speed.

A GHX 100 perhaps and definetely the larger Honda engines.

dnut

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
the comet styled cvt is probably too much mass for a ghx 50, but years back I had a honda hobbit with a 50cc motor and honda cvt... it ran real well.
rc

GSC-Fab

Sep 18, 2010
Inland Empire, CA.
-Hey strotter, i was thinking the same thing. however im going to be going with an in frame mount.

-Hey scotto, that was my concern. friction loss. Dose the ezm trans operate on the same principals as a cvt? or is it a centrifical clutch? And yes a larger engine would be sweet however cali laws are any engine over 50cc's and or over 2hp need to be registered and are no longer in the motor assisted bike category. dont quote me but i think it is something like that.

hey rustycase that sounds like a fun ride. i wonder what the specs are on that cvt system.

-Question is the AGK jackshaft system compatible with Honda ghx engine? i tried to look up the specs but came up empty handed. I also emailed there sales dep. but no reply.
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
- And yes a larger engine would be sweet however cali laws are any engine over 50cc's and or over 2hp need to be registered and are no longer in the motor assisted bike category. dont quote me but i think it is something like that.
Sorry, but your info is pure mythology.
ALL gas powered motorized Bicycles need to be registered in CA with
the $19 one time fee licence plate and they are ALL supposed to be
2 hp or less.
There is no 50 cc and under exemption, in fact there is no mention
of 50 cc.......
There is no gas motor assisted bike category.
You need a M1 / M2 licence and DOT helmet.

That being said most cops and DMV drones do not know the laws but if
you ride in certain areas like Newport and Huntington Beach you will
learn the laws the expensive way.

-Hey scotto, that was my concern. friction loss. Dose the ezm trans operate on the same principals as a cvt? or is it a centrifical clutch?

-Question is the AGK jackshaft system compatible with Honda ghx engine? i tried to look up the specs but came up empty handed. I also emailed there sales dep. but no reply.
Thanks for all the advice everyone.
I would forget about using a CVT.

The problem with the AGK jackshaft is that the Honda 5/8" shaft
is too short to fit the Max Torque centrifugal clutch on it without
some kind of extension.

EZM uses a Max Torque centrifugal clutch on the jackshaft
so not on the motor.

Removing the governor and disconnecting the low oil switch is easy.

Last edited:

GSC-Fab

Sep 18, 2010
Inland Empire, CA.
Hey MotorBicycleRacing thanks for the correction, yea i know what you mean i used to live in O.C. as well.

Ahh i see. That makes sense. Well then i guess the easy drive is the way too go for my application.
I have an idea of removing the low oil switch and the governor. iv seen it done on a gx200 but im not sure if there anything alike.

Dagwood

Aug 4, 2011
ilinois
The Honda GXH50 is a 7800 rpm engine, with minimum recomended rpms of 3600....so a CVT would have to be designed to take advantage of the higher and wider RPM range...a Comet style CVT, designed for 2200 to 3600/4000 rpm engines would not work well I dont think.