??? Neelam ???

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Just had dinner at a truly great Indian restraunt in Tempe. What does this have to do with BTR's or even bikes? Out front they had a pair of bicycle rickshaws all done up Punjubi stylie built on this frame Neelam Cycles-manufacturer & exporters of bicycle & bicycle parts I did a search on Neelam and didnt fine anything on these forums. I LOVE the brake levers and the built in stand, the whole frame aperes to be lugged and brazed or welded. Seems like a strong starting pont for a BTR or vintage tank build. Cant seem to find a U.S. distributer though. Anybody have experience with these?

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
That does look pretty cool, seems they are made in India so i wonder how available they are? And if the quality is high?

If you like those vintage style rim brakes there are kits for sale from England on EBay at a reasonable price.... i think they work via linkages rather then by cable.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
that looks exactly like the robin hood made in england. i've got 2 of them rusting out in the barn. 3 speed rear hubs and wheel turned dynos with lights. basiclally a 10 speed frame with a 2nd bar added.

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
These bikes with rod brakes usually come from China or India nowadays.

Yellowjersey sold them for a few years as the Eastman Roadster, though they don't now-
Eastman made in India Classic Roadster Bicycles from Yellow Jersey

These bikes are kinda cool in a retro way, but they are definitely a bit of living in the past. The rod brakes work worse than pretty much any other kind of brake. The parts are what was "standard" on mainstream bicycles ~80 years ago, most modern parts will not fit at all. They look like an antique because they basically are.

Yellowjersey offered some optional upgrades like caliper brakes and internal-gear hubs.

The price from Yellowjersey (for the basic one-speed rod-brake bike) was only $300 but that was for a bike that was completely broke down; even the wheels had to be laced up. For the mostly-assembled bike they wanted $600 IIRC.

Last I heard some months back, at least two other places inside the USA do still sell the India bikes, but I don't recall where. You might ask on bikeforums or even email Yellowjersey and see if they know.

This place sells a similar Flying Pigeon (Chinese) model-
Flying Pigeon LA — Flying Pigeon PA-02 Classic
does not have the double-bar frame, but that might help if you wanted to put an engine in there anyway. In the info they say they will only ship it to a bike shop for assembly, so it probably comes totally-broken down also. That bike shop assembly is probably going to cost you $150 at least.

(-the Pashley Roadster that FlyingpigeonLA sells looks similar, but is 100% modern parts,,,, with a 100% modern price-)