1960 Firebolt Boardtracker

GoldenMotor.com

69fury

Jun 9, 2011
Lawrence KS
My son and I are building a couple of Grubees for commuting/fun/economy/style/etc... His is a 77 Schwinn Metrocycle as a 20's cycle. Mine is a 1960 Columbia Firebolt as a boardtracker.

He's got the Super rat delivered but the spoke mounted sprocket wont clear a 58mm Sturmey Archer AW 3 speed hub. Manic Mechanic's site only specs custom adapters up to 1.7xx" i think so he may be looking to jackshaft it.

My Firebolt was pretty crusty (not like this web pic), but we found that the unfaded paint spots turned out to be Candy Apple Red. So after stripping for the build I shot it with some rattlecan satin black until we can get her all sorted. Then we'll blow her apart for the Candy Apple Red coating.

I was going to buy a Super Rat but they only had one in stock at Gasbikes.net. I did get a great deal on a 2011 GT5 66cc that a guy couldn't make work on his bike. So i stripped it off that and put it on my Firebolt.
Fits right in between the pedals- the little chain died after a day. Then the 410 chain that came with my son's Super Rat lasted only 10 feet. Then we went to tractor supply for 10 foot of number 41. DONE! Fits even with the Quick Bricks.

Now just have to build my boardtracker tank, get a tuned pipe (SBP) Monark springer fork, MM sprocket adapter, and all the nuts that have vibrated off....

after little bit o cut/weld:

Mockup condition- rides nice-getting better every day...

Thanks for Looking,

Rick & Keegan.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Personally i think its a crime you painted that thing. IMO that was awesome in old paint. But each to their own. Still looks very cool. Love that frame, but its crying out for an inframe tank. Still great job, looks great

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Personally i think its a crime you painted that thing. IMO that was awesome in old paint. But each to their own. Still looks very cool. Love that frame, but its crying out for an inframe tank. Still great job, looks great
I'll go even further & say I think it's a crime to chop that kewl old bike up like that! :(
But as you said... "to each their own."

Now that bike needs a 'in frame' tank! (^)

69fury

Jun 9, 2011
Lawrence KS
It needed paint or the rust would really take hold of the frame- she's gonna get Candy Apple Red and restored graphics on her. The original tank was long gone, and the rear rack was rusting through-i dont have the skills to restore that type of damage.

It will get a better tank, but in-frame will most likely be too small to look the way I want, so it'll most likely straddle the top bar and have the top of the tank maybe an inch below the neck bolt and sitting on mounts even with the twin bars below.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
That rust you speak of is around 50 years old, i dont think a little longer witout paint would matter :)

You have more then enough room between the tubes to build a great looking tank, and it should be more then big enough. And it would look 1000x better and really tie your bike together. Even if you cant weld its not hard to make a tank pattern from cardboard and get someone to make it for you, or at least weld it up. Its a little bit of work but well worth the effort.

Last edited:

69fury

Jun 9, 2011
Lawrence KS
You have more then enough room between the tubes to build a great looking tank, and it should be more then big enough. And it would look 1000x better and really tie your bike together. Even if you cant weld its not hard to make a tank pattern from cardboard and get someone to make it for you, or at least weld it up. Its a little bit of work but well worth the effort.
I'm going to build a tank- i just think the proportions will be better if the tank is a little taller, maybe like one of the twin tanked Excelsiors.

I originally wanted a tank in the frame but didn't like the proportions of the ones i saw videos of. We'll see- i'm open to whichever looks best.

As for cutting and painting- I'm 6'1 250lbs-If i didn't move the seat back, then I wouldn't have been able to use the bike, and it wouldn't have been rescued-nobody else wanted it. Since i did move the seat back, there was cutting/welding and grinding so it was decided to respray it with the Candy.

It's a hotrod. 32Ford Coupe, 41Willys, 55Chevy, 60Firebolt, 68Camaro

Last edited: