Clutch/Gears/Gears Seized Up???

GoldenMotor.com

NickDK

Aug 24, 2008
So I just bought an 80 cc 2-stroke from PowerKingShop on eBay. I installed it yesterday and have been driving it around today. I'd say I've put about 5 miles on it. I have not been rodding it, doing my best to keep it at about 1/2 throttle. So I parked it for a couple of hours and went out to ride it again.

Everything was normal until I popped the clutch to start the engine -- the back wheel seized and skidded to a stop rather than the engine turning over! Now the engine drive chain is completely seized. The chain and everything looks normal.

It doesn't matter if I have the clutch engaged or not, the chain and drive wheel will not move at all! Not only that the engine will not turn over -- no matter how hard I peddle the back wheel will not move! Normally you can make the engine turn over by peddling with the clutch handle out, but now it is impossible to peddle at all because the chain is locked up. The clutch adjustment is okay, what could be wrong?

Someone PLEASE help!

macimpala

Jun 8, 2008
Kimberly,WI
ok
my first response might be a dumbone
but
we had a motor locked up for over a year until disassembly when a cup or so of water drained out of it!!
(daughter killed it riding during heavy downpour)
so my first thought is did you turn off the gas ?
cause liquids in motor make 4 no motion.

NickDK

Aug 24, 2008
ok
my first response might be a dumbone
but
we had a motor locked up for over a year until disassembly when a cup or so of water drained out of it!!
(daughter killed it riding during heavy downpour)
so my first thought is did you turn off the gas ?
cause liquids in motor make 4 no motion.
Yes I have always shut the gas off after riding it. Since the engine wont turn over even if I peddle the problem has to be before the clutch, right? If the engine was seized then I could still pedal if I pulled the clutch, but I cannot pedal even if I pull the clutch, so maybe one of the gears is jammed?

Anyone have any ideas?

macimpala

Jun 8, 2008
Kimberly,WI
with the clutch lever pulled you should be able to roll your bike

you can't?
1 then check clutch cable for proper adjustment something may have come apart or loosened
2 try to push the lever at the motor and then roll bike

3 my most recent issue involved a small pin in the clutch lever case no longer being there to keep the shaft part of the lever where it needs to be to actuate the clutch as you squeeze the lever the shaft lifted upwards no longer making contact with push pin inside
I rode it home with no clutch about 5miles starting took some effort even with my 250lbs frame but motor did still turn over and start

NickDK

Aug 24, 2008
I am relieved to say that i found the problem! I took the engine off the bike then removed the plate from the drive gear on the engine...what had happened is I had too much slack on the drive chain and an extra link got pulled into the drive gear area and lodged itself into the corner! LOL, an easy fix - figures it was human error! Good thing it didn't happen at high speed or it could have torn the gearbox apart! Thanks for the help anyways, it's much appreciated! :)

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Yep, and going fast enough you could have knocked a hole in the engine case, AND all the above! The avg. trip to an emergency room STARTS @ $100.00 (if you only have a boo- boo) One bad fall can buy your local saw bones a new BMW! The main thing is you did right by asking :) If you don't know ASK! It's FREE and fun (c)