building motorized bike with Honda gxh50 and parts, is this all i need?

GoldenMotor.com

MiamiHeat87

Nov 29, 2010
Miami, FL

MiamiHeat87

Nov 29, 2010
Miami, FL
Well, send me a link. Dont just tell me there is something better and dont show me where to get one, lol. I dont know what could be better. Thanks for the link though, glad to know there is a cheaper place.

Do you know a good american kit? That way I wont have to wait long. Or a better 2 stroke american engine? I'd go with that since 2 stroje seems better than 4 stroke, but I dont want a cheap low quality one. Something like the honda.

Im pretty much cluess and am searching around the forums, but there is so much info. And I dont see any complete how to get your first motorbike threads.

Last edited:

highlander9

Oct 15, 2010
Illinois

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Miami, the Honda is not set up for a twist throttle, at least most of the Hondas you will buy from a small engine site. You'll have to modify the carb throttle to make it work with any of the 49cc bicycle kit throttles. The HuaSheng motors are setup for applications like bike motors. I suggest saving your money and picking one(HuaSheng) from a rep here that has a great warranty policy. I don't like to play favorites, but I am enjoying being taken care of by the guys at That's Dax. They have a one year warranty compared to most others... 6 months. Also the EZM companies has one heck of a gear box and warranty. As far as 2 vs. 4 stroke, there is no better, just different. 2-strokes are performance(lol) HP with quick acceleration and 4-strokes are more torque based with moderate acceleration... this is straight out of the box or what I call the Warranty waiting period, after that do what you want to push the little things... Good Luck!

Last edited:

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
P.S. Once you buy a HuaSheng kit from $400 to $600 and get a decent warranty, the engines themselves are rarely over $200 by themselves most are $189. So get one with a year policy and when it runs out, buy a new engine with a new one year warranty. Save your old engine for a temp or replacement/parts engine. $200 a year without headaches is much more of longevity plan than expecting one engine to last for years. But then you have people like AZBill who has been putting thousands of miles on his HuaSheng. To each his own, there is no right or wrong.

MiamiHeat87

Nov 29, 2010
Miami, FL
Thanks for all the replies. It's all helpful. Gives me a lot more to look into but I did find some things while researching the past few hours. I see Blow By U has their own full kits with the engine: http://blowbyu.ca/90301.html

I had missed that earlier when I went to their website but the owner pointed me in the right direction. I also discovered this website here: http://cyclehappy.com/chain_drive_gallery_1.html

They sell a rear mounting kit as well as engine kits using the Subaru engine, so i'm getting closer and closer. As for not having the clutch, yea.. if I do get the Honda i'll have to buy the adapter or whatever it is to have one.

I still rather avoid chinese products. I have only seen good opinions of the american engines while for even that top line chinese engine, HuaSeng, I see both positive and negative opinions.

One reason I need a very quality engine is because i'll be using it for commuting, and a lot of it. About 40 miles per day 5 times a week. If you got some insight or warning on that, let me know or else I'll just find out on my own lol.

Last edited:

MiamiHeat87

Nov 29, 2010
Miami, FL
I checked out the site for Dax, and its got some good stuff there. I like the forward mount but it isn't available, shame. I did find this: Complete Rear Mount Engine Kit - $419.99

It is the asian engine and has a rear mounting kit in case I can't find a bicycle with enough space in the middle. So, I may get that one. I definitely rather the Honda, I just have trouble finding mounting kits with all the needed parts and special clutch or removing the governor or whatever else is needed to convert the engine to be used as a bicycle engine.

caduceus

Feb 4, 2009
Frostbite Falls, MN
Miami, I've commuted 80 miles round trip to work on my bike twice in the last year and plan on doing it a lot more come spring and summer.

What you'll get in a kit will get you on the bike - maybe as far as out of the driveway and possibly even down the road a piece. I upgraded most of the parts from my kit.

I went with a heavy duty pair of wheels, one from Husky in the front with a drum brake, one from Bicyclemotors.com for the rear. Both have 12-gauge spokes, and I don't have to bother with a rag-joint holding a sprocket to the spokes.

A throttle can be worked out with the Honda engine. I've rigged up a very capable twist throttle, as well as a remote throttle lever for cold starting. Crack the remote lever open, close the choke and it always starts on the first pull.

Sitting on a stock bicycle seat (mine was a Schwinn) for forty miles at a stretch is a real pain in the Butt. I tried a Cloud 9 saddle, but that still didn't do the job. I went with an expensive Brooks double-spring saddle and it seems to work very well.

Lastly, and most importantly, I worked as a mechanic on Automobiles, Motorcycles, Trucks and Agricultural equipment for about twenty years. I have the proper tools to do whatever job I need, and just barely enough understanding of the mechanical processes involved that I've been able to make a Motored Bicycle that is reliable enough to easily make an 80 mile commute.

A few hard and fast principles and then I'll shut up:

1) Anything that can vibrate loose will. Use Blue Locktite on everything that isn't fastened with a locking nut. I use the Nylock nuts.

And use Blue Locktite only on Clean threads. Oil, grease, or dirt on threads and locktite is useless. I clean threads on bolts and in bores with Laquer thinner. Use Q-tips for the bores. It'll save you a ton of headaches later.

2) Everything you do on a Motorized Bicycle will take twice as much time, effort and money than you think it will. Get used to it.

3) Get an accurate inch-pound torque wrench. Learn the torque values for the various metric sized fasteners you'll be using and torque them properly.

4) Go over every fastener on the bike after your first ride and fix what needs fixing correctly. Be prepared to do everything two, three, or even four times on your first build.

5) Be patient. Nothing screws up a project like Get-Done-Itis. The bits and pieces you'll be working on don't give a rat's how impatient you get.

To get an in-depth explanation of the relationship between personality and mechanical principles read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. It'll show you how to get the correct mind set for what you are going to try.

Good Luck

MiamiHeat87

Nov 29, 2010
Miami, FL
Hmm, ok. Thats some good stuff there.

Some of the words you say I dont even understand fully but im pretty determined to get this to work. I already have three bikes im going to try out. I'll return the ones I dont need. Two are dual suspension and wont have room in the middle since I require a modern looking mountain bike, and the other is a boys bicycle I most likely wont be using.

I'll try to keep you updating on whats going on.

MiamiHeat87

Nov 29, 2010
Miami, FL
BICYCLE CHOICE

These are the two bikes I have purchased which I can still return: http://www.babygiftsoutlet.com/imag...oose-xr-comp-dual-suspension-bike_BG05749.jpg | http://www.babygiftsoutlet.com/imag...nch-dual-suspension-mountain-bike_BG05340.jpg

The first is the XR Comp by Mongoose and was expensive compared to the Next bike I got. Both are dual suspension except the Mongoose has thicker tires, better gear changing equipment on the handles, a different design with the rear suspension, and looks nicer.

The Next bike uses the standard dual suspension for mountain bikes which you can see the very same design for different bikes of many names. Yea, just put in dual suspension bicycle in google and all the bikes are literally the same with only a minor variation on the suspension attachment paint job, and brand name. The Next cost me $130 while the Mongoose was about $450.

So unless someone can provide insight how the mongoose is better, I will return it. Lol. That is too much a chunk of my money and they both seem to be made of the same material.

ENGINE CHOICE

Engine im still unsure. I read this thread how the Honda GXH50 is not much different than the GX 30 except it's lighter, shorter, and provides less torque: *Honda GX35 or GXH50 ? - MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum and the price difference from Small Engine Warehouse is about $60.

But hey, if there is a strong quality engine that you want to brainwash me is way better or just as good as the Honda, go ahead! Im all for brainwashing! If its better, go ahead and tell me why and I will listen. I want the best engine I can get. However, I am wary of asian engines.

So based on that, doesn't seem much good reason to get the 50. This guy Butch however has a Tanaka 47R, and it seems great from his post. I'm looking for this engine but can't find it as easily, someone help? :*MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum - View Single Post - has anyone mounted a 47cc tanaka???

MOUNTING KIT

As for mounting kit, I have narrowed down my choices to an axle mount of the GEBE system: *Axle Mount Kit NO Engine 78 mm Clutch Drum | *Golden Eagle Bike Engines, Geared Belt Drive Bicycle Engines / Motors for Mountain Bikes & More

I'm guessing both mount only kits are compatible with all small engines like the Honda, Tanaka, and Subaru. I have no idea. Good thing is if this all works out, this thread can be a good guide for anyone else new trying to make a motorized bike from scratch. Im still not sure that not only if the engines will fit to both mounting kits, but if they mounting kits will even fit to the bike itself! Lol*

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I typed F/S into google and got this :

This seems like a good deal, it kinda looks like all of the others, but this one costs $3,000. I wonder what's so good about this frameset? The bike built up is $8,000....do you think it's close to the Mongoose in anyway? It's only a $7,500 difference, give or take a few bucks!

Now about the engine......laff