Can one put a 4g gearbox onto a Honda gx-50?

GoldenMotor.com

DasNasenloch

Nov 18, 2010
Tulsa
Hallo, I've been a reader for a long while now. Just decided to join tonight due to it finally driving me just this side of crazy wondering if (title) was possible. I've built 6 bikes now. Three 2 stroke and and 3 four stroke. I've just had to pay for YET ANOTHER 4 stroke (Hua Sheng), which in my opinion are pieces o' sh-tuff. Getting very tired of having to switch out motors every 3 or 4 months. I am very attentive to upkeep so I think it is just the fact that the motors I choose originate in CHINA.

Is it possible to switch out the GB from a 4g and mount it on the Gx-50? I just don't wanna buy yet another motor until I would know if this would work or not. Such a wealth of info on here! Gotta get to reading...

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
4G T-Belt Transmission (Honda) [4G-TBELTTRANS-HD] - $139.99

You need this 4G for the Honda or the Hua Sheng with the shaft output.

Where have you been buying your 4 stroke kits from?

What kind of problems have you been having with your Hua Shengs?
Hallo, I've been a reader for a long while now. Just decided to join tonight due to it finally driving me just this side of crazy wondering if (title) was possible. I've built 6 bikes now. Three 2 stroke and and 3 four stroke. I've just had to pay for YET ANOTHER 4 stroke (Hua Sheng), which in my opinion are pieces o' sh-tuff. Getting very tired of having to switch out motors every 3 or 4 months. I am very attentive to upkeep so I think it is just the fact that the motors I choose originate in CHINA.

Is it possible to switch out the GB from a 4g and mount it on the Gx-50? I just don't wanna buy yet another motor until I would know if this would work or not. Such a wealth of info on here! Gotta get to reading...

Last edited:

DasNasenloch

Nov 18, 2010
Tulsa
Really? That quick? AWESOME! Sincerely, thank you BiMoPed. As for the first link, that's the one. I actually own two of the Belt drives now. As for the second link... that looks exactly like the motors that I have but am trying to convince myself that they (gasbike.net aka kingsmotorbikes) didn't send me a "storm"-something motor. Gas storm? I don't recall the actual name, but there was a vast difference in price. The "storm" was around the same price as the link ($169) and --------upon looking again, the "gas bike storm" is $299 (which it didn't used to be) and the one that I had to just rebuy because they didn't sell the motor only anymore, was the grubee 4g belt drive for $350. I feel kinda dense now after looking at their site... You see, my "bike" is my only means of transport. So, I "shopped around" on previous motors, but to no avail. My logic was is they're all (motors) comprable in price, so I would just order from them to get moving again.

As for problems with HS... many. Bearings, clutches, chain alignment, so on... Being a working student a motorized bike fits. But even when I get another degree that I can actually earn some real money with, I dont' want a car. I JUST WANT A DAMNED RELIABLE BIKE! An upgraded, industrialized bike. Not sure, but the amount of use and my size (6' 4'', 254lbs) my be part of the cause of undue wear on those motors.

I tried answering all of your questions as you have helped me tremendously. I moved back in with my folks until I finish school again so I don't mind buying WHATEVER I need to be moving again. Since, you say it is possible. I will now buy the Gx-50 for a reserve when this HS PIECE gives out. I just installed this HS on Monday. So, I figure 3 months of use... THat is unless you have thoughts on what would be better and still compatible with my 4g belt drive...

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
There are two different 4G gearboxes

Gasbike doesn't sell the 4G gearbox that I linked above.

They sell this one with their kits. Their 4G Hua SHeng motor kit has the clutch built into the side
http://www.bicycle-engines.com/belt-transmission-only-78mm-p-340.html

Do your Hua Sheng motors have the clutch built into them instead of a 5/8" shaft?

Gasbike sucks, they do not have a good warranty or they do not honor it.
There is nothing wrong with the Hua Sheng motors.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The Honda is the most dependable bike engine I have owned. Can't say enough good about em. Comes with a factory warranty too.

Was just trying to count in my head how many bike engines I have. 7 or 8. Prolly 15 total over the last few yrs. I would rate the Honda best over all. Let one sit for a yr. Cleaned the carb and it started right up.

DasNasenloch

Nov 18, 2010
Tulsa
Yeah, that does help. Thanks man. It is now very apparent that the HS really is a clone of the Gx-50. So, I'm also assuming that the dimensions are the same as well? Upon talking with BiMoPed last night, I think that it is definitely "do able", but one thing that I will change is to NEVER a buy one more thing from gasbike.net/kingsmotorbikes. Every single motor I have I got through them (6). The 3 or 6 month warranty was never honored and I tried "cashing it in twice". They would always place the responsibility back on me. In one case it was my fault as the chain alignment ripped the facade of the 10t sprocket cover. Enough of that mess... I don't like *****ing. I got on here to post some pics of my indian style (somewhat) bike per request. Thank you all for the input and I hope to find out for myself that Honda is the hands down winner Dan. It may be awhile as I have just replaced yet another motor last Monday. They seem to last 3-4 months before "crapping out".

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Das,
Why all the crapping out is what I'm wondering. It's a lot on how you treat the 4-stroke as to its reliability. I think 2-stroke converts here think that these HS and Honda are like the 2-strokes, they are not. They are not built for quick acceleration, or over acceleration. They are generator and water pump engines or auger/tiller applications. That means reaching around 3600 RPM and stabilizing for long running. They are also designed to be started once maybe twice a day, most bike applications will be pull starting 3 or 4 times a day, yes you will wear out you pull start. One thing that I have learned is to baby the crap out of the engines. They are not built for performance like a 2-stroke. You can't just gun the throttle and ram the RPM's up to 6000+ every time you take off. There have been plenty of HS motors that have thousands of miles on them. Just ask AZBill. But with that said I cannot say enough about the quality of a Honda over a HS, but you do pay for it. And if you are going to pay that much for a Honda, then why not get an EZM drive. 10x better than the G4 and you can actually get parts at your local auto store, instead of waiting for China shipments to come in every 6 months, like the G4 belt. The EZM is designed for the shaft output HS and should fit the Honda too. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Plus the MaxTorque clutch(in the EZM) is undeniably the smoothest clutch you'll ever own. But remember even the Honda too can be over accelerated and boom your valves are shot, just like the HS. Treat you 4-Stroke with respect and dog the crap out of your 2-stroke!!! Words to live by.

Hi DasNasenloch,

Hopefully I can shed some light on MBs using the HS142 or Honda GXH50. Both motors are quality units, and although I use both, I think the HS is the better choice. There are several reasons I chose the HS over the Honda. The HS is already setup for MB use whereas the Honda isn't. The HS has a larger main jet in the carburetor and does rev higher. The Honda is rated with slightly more HP, but can not keep pace with the HS motor. The Honda is far more expensive, and requires several changes for MB use. I normally dislike Chinese products, however the HS motor is the exception. In the last 2.5 years EZM has sold hundreds of HS motors, and our warranty [1 year] issues have been limited to a single float and a handfull of rope starters.

I have watched Both Honda and HS motors [not from EZM] drop the rod , and after a little research the reason was easy to find. EZM ships our kits with the Q-Matic drive with a realistic drive ratio. Our sytems leave with a final drive ratio of 15.48 X 1 [can be altered to 16.43 X 1, or 14.68 X1] whereas most other companies play with numbers in the 25 X 1 arena. To understand the problem, just start your car, place it in low gear, hold the throttle wide open, then send me an email telling me how long the motor lasted.
Almost daily someone orders a Q-Matic drive, tells me they aren't interested in top speed, then asks if it will do 40 MPH or better.

When we designed the Q-Matic we understood the need to stay within state laws. In order to keep the MB "legal" we needed to keep it under 30 MPH with average rider on level ground. We had 2 choices to reach our goal, either gear it crazy so it would quickly reach 30 MPH, or gear it to simply run out of power at approx 30 MPH. Here is how it really works............. EZM Q-Matic drive with stock ratios of 15.48 X 1 = 30 MPH @ 6000 RPMs, 35 MPH @ 7000 RPMs [still below redline]. The motor redline is 7800, therefore cruising at 6000 RPMs is near the peak torque for a smoother ride. When shipped with 25 X 1 ratios [Not EZM] the motor isn't under much load, quickly reaches and exceeds the 7800 RPM redline, and produces numbers like this............10,000 RPMs @ 30 MPH, 11,400 RPMs @ 35 MPH. Can you say KABOOM!.

While it is true the Q-Matic doesn't leap from the stop sign it still has plenty of power to leave without pedal assist, and reach realistic cruising speeds without sending the motor into orbit. There is a major difference in motor vibration cruising at 30 MPH at 6000 RPM as opposed to 10.000 RPMs

Hopefully this bit of infromation will lead to the conclusion the HS & Honda motors are great, just some bad design & judgment in the drive systems offered.

BTW Honda doesn't offer ANY warranty if the GXH50 is used on a motorbike, zero, nada, none!

Have fun,

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
P.S. Does anybody know when the HS with 14v power comes out? I'd really like to see a 5/8 shaft version for use with the EZM. I hope they don't make them all with the CC.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Tad, well, all the preliminary pics I have seen show it to be excessively wide, and in that respect, I am not waiting for them myself! I do not want to be the "spread eagle" at 30 mph, on a cruiser bike!

I think electrics can be done, BUT that much power, will "dog" your engine, perhaps more than you'd be willing to tolerate.

Time will tell? I for one, will not wait.

Mike

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Personally Mike, i don't think an extra inch is going to make that big a difference. The wider pedal distance is perfect for me. I like the extra room, makes my nuts happy! And as far as it dogging you engine, not going to happen if its done right. When's the last time you saw a Harley guys complain about wrapping his legs around a V-Twin???

Hi Tad Bit Tipsy,

The HS motor with the charging system would be the same on the flywheel side, therefore it would be availble to work with either version of the motor. Sadly the motor with the charging system is VERY wide on the rope starter side. We are currently working on several designs to supply power for lights and hopefully a cost effective solution will be found.

One of our local fabrication shops [Spenser Boat Works] just completed the prototype crankshaft extention for the HS tapered shaft motor and hope to start testing in the next 30 days. This adapter will allow the Q-Matic drive to replace the drives on the short tapered shaft motors.

Have fun,