grubee skyhawk stage 3 clutch

GoldenMotor.com

gcruiser

Jul 27, 2010
Truckee, CA
Hi everyone
having some issues with my clutch/driveline... huasheng 142f 4-stroke with a skyhawk stage 3 gearbox. when I squeezethe clutch lever, I feel the clutch engage...sort of. It sounds like maybe theres something loose in there. It engages sometimes, and others not so much. pulled all the slop out of my clutch cable. its tight. pulled the gearbox apart. nothing is broken. the engine driveshaft/clutch key is solid, no chipped gears, output shaft on the gearbox is good.
when I engage the clutch, the gear starts spinning a little. when I rev the engine it sometimes spins faster sometimes not....confused.
Anyone had experience with this gearbox setup? any tips are much appreciated.

Thanks!
-Greg

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The lever is an engager and should not be used.
It is not a clutch lever.
the gearbox has a centrifigal clutch.
Everyone who uses this kit sucessfully, locks out the engager and never uses it.
Engaging the engine above idle can damage the gearbox.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
When You assembled your Gearbox do you remember installing the small spacer on the shafr of the third gear (rear of box) If you left this spacer out it is not possible for the engager couplers to lock into this gear and move the bike forward. This engager is one of the problem areas for the Grubee 4-stroke kits with either the Type II or III gearbox. Even if you feel the need to use it on your bike they can be very difficult to adjust. Also the fact that you have to hold or lock the lever to keep it engaged is a real pain in the A**. I've found the best solution is to not use it at all. I recommend that you go to the trouble to reverse the springs on the yoke of the engager so they will be putting pressure on the couplers instead of trying to force them apart. Also I anchor the cable at the adjuster on the gearbox using a brake cable anchor to lock it in the engaged position. Where you have to be careful when you do this is when you start the motor. The stall speed of the clutch is to close to the idle speed of the motor, and when the motor fires the bike will want to take off. Having a good center kick stand that lifts the rear wheel off the ground is good for solving this problem.

ocscully