My Briggs Powered Bike

GoldenMotor.com

ducatiluke

Jan 20, 2009
los angeles/ south australia
the horizontal shaft engine is extreamly simmilar to the vertical shaft engine

the only real differences are the heavy flywheel on the horizontal shaft as the vertical shaft uses the blade holder as flywheel mass

and the oil splasher which you can buy and bolt onto the vertical shaft engine

for around 5 $

my engine origionally a vertical shaft engine has had these two mods plus proper carbi and has been thrashed without an air filter for a year and after strip down there was no new wear !!

h_rod

Mar 31, 2010
janesville, WI
that was a vertical shaft? I did not know you could change that. what parts do you need to do that? how does it handle? Great design. I don't think you can put the cg any lower on a bike.

MarksA-C

Nov 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Payday tomorrow and its time for another shopping spree.
Going to get the belt clutch, sprocket, and rear wheel I need for this. Going with a Belt clutch and torque converter setup then going to a jackshaft with a sprocket going to a rear wheel sprocket like whats on the bit bikes..

Going to still have pedals.

Also going to start rigging up the rear brakes and I'll start on the front later. Still debating on a springer front fork or not. Would be nice but makes getting brakes for the front a bit harder. Oh well, I'll figure that out when I get to it.

Been a long winter and now I have a truck to fix too (I hate brake lines...) but I'll try to finish this bike at least.

usflg

MarksA-C

Nov 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Quick update, I got the belt clutch and a 8 tooth sprocket, So it will be a 3" clutch pulley to a 6" Torque converter, then a 8 tooth sprocket going to a 36 tooth sprocket. So, its a 1:2:4.5 ratio. 26" rear wheel and the engine ranges from 2000rpm to probably 5000 or so.

Anyone know the mathematical stuff to guess the speed? I know how to cut stuff up and light stuff on fire... and thats about it. Ha ha

But besides that I am going to redo part of the frame tomorrow and hopefully start on the mounting of the jackshaft.

MarksA-C

Nov 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Everyone loves pics, so here ya go! I still need to fix that top bar, was hoping I could reuse the old one but its a no... looks like crap to me.

I do think I'm going to have to move the engine over a inch or two. So that way the belt drive and jackshaft aren't so far out. Unless I can find a set of wider cranks... that would help out a bunch too.

motor_head

Dec 18, 2008
iowa
why are you using the driven pulley from a torque converter with a cent clutch why not just a regular pulley it would be narrower and do the same thing since you don't have the driver clutch for the torque converter

MarksA-C

Nov 17, 2009
Wisconsin
why are you using the driven pulley from a torque converter with a cent clutch why not just a regular pulley it would be narrower and do the same thing since you don't have the driver clutch for the torque converter
I was told that the driver clutch from a torque converter and a centrifugal clutch were the same.

If I was misinformed then I will just use a regular pulley. Have a box full of them haha

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Marks, You Could Leave The Secondary Pulley Where It Is And Have The Spring Loaded A Bit And Be Using It As A Belt Tightener. The Springer Forks Have A Hole For Bolting On A Calipur Brake With Out Any Mods. I Put One On My Stretch Cruiser With A Springer Fork. Ron .cvlt1

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Can't wait to seethe outcome.

I am right now at the MB n00b stage.. Mods change my the from elite member to n00b havin fun :D

was this a realy hard project for you? I've been inspired (oh yea I probally need to finish y 50 other projects first...)

MarksA-C

Nov 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Well, I have hit a big problem, the frame is way off. The rear triangle isn't strait with the frame and the head tube is twisted. Its going to be a serious pain in the a** to see if I can straiten it out. If I can't I have a similar girls bike frame I might redo the same way. But this time...MAKE A JIG SO IT ENDS UP STRAIT! What a novel idea my good sir... haha

But overall there isn't much fabrication in the frame making, just a lot of cutting and welding. So if i do have to redo it all, it isn't really a total loss.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
hey check out jd1 and jd2 racecars....very simmilar set up....belt drive to a jack shaft to a 415 chain drive....8 second 1/8 miles...brigs and stratton engines....they run alcohol though....was cool bike....you should deffinately check these cars out

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh man Marks, bummer if you do. Be a shame, really looks cool.

If you put a lever controlled belt tensioner between the two pulleys you could have multiple speeds cuz of the spring loaded pulley!!!
That is a great thought, John. Really, with some sort of locking clutch handle sort of deal or the like! I am gonna try this! Thanks!

.flg.

Wait, it couldn't be locking? Need a nap, lol

Last edited: