Rear Sprocket Slipping

GoldenMotor.com

mick29

Jun 8, 2009
Salisbury East
Howdy its mick29 here I recently bought a 40t rear sprocket with a mounting carrier that clamps to the rear wheels hub ( im shaw youve all seen them ) my problem is it keeps moving very slowly round the hub ive tried retighten it but still moves Has anyone had the same problem and how can it be fixed Is there a glue or something to just stop it slipping that little bit Thanks mick29 PS HAPPY RIDING

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Just a couple thoughts on this. I would sugest conferming the fit of the adaptor to the hub. Use a sharpy to mark up the inside of the adaptor and then fit each half to the hub and rotate it back and forth, inspect the inside of the adaptor for contact to the hub. If it is a good fit the ink should be scuffed fairly evenly. If the adaptor is too big you will see one contact point in the center of the radius, if it is too small the outside edges will show contact.

That being said and assuming you have aprox. 80% contact or better, you might consider some double sided tape. (We actually have machined parts with this stuff). If you have a good fit and tighten the adaptor over the tape I dont think it is going to slip, I reckon you end up with six square inches of purchase, traction, or grip.

It sonds like some locktight could be used on the bolts. Get your chain alignment set up, then locktight one bolt at a time.

Discalimer: These are just common sense assesments not based on an actual application. Hope it might help.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
..a Pabst-e-traction drivetrain. I don't understand how a shim would solve the full range of possable scenerios but ...*crack-pop,..*fzzzzzzz.......never mind.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
mick29,

If you purchased your mounting carrier and 40T sprocket from us or Pirate cycles, don't be afraid to call and ask questions. I promise I won't give you a hard time! We're here to make sure you get the full benefit of your part.

The sprocket adapters from Creative Engineering...AKA Manic Mechanic, will not work right with a popcorn fart or a beer can shim. laff

The adapters are made according to the measurements you gave me. If you screwed up the measurement, give me a call...we'll get you one that holds firm.

I know it's a PITA to install because of the wheel spokes, but get the carrier bolts tight!!! Use a cheater bar on the allen wrench. Don't worry about stripping the threads...it's not gonna happen.

Jim