be very very careful

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Be very very careful what you do on line.

I found a mysterious charge on my credit card statement. It was a small 12buck charge but it had been going on for three months before I noticed. I disputed it and found that somehow this scam company had gotten hold of my credit card number from a purchase I had made on line. and that I had somehow authorized it's use while banging around the net. I closed the credit card account to be absolutely sure that the charge did not continue. I do not trust the company that scammed me for 3 months to stop charging my card so I just canceled it. Of course no one can get the ripped off funds returned so I'm porked. I am marking it up to experience and warning everyone I know about it.

Yes they got me three months before I noticed it. So if you ever buy anything on line check your statements carefully for even small charges. Like most people I assumed that a credit card scam would be in the hundreds or thousands. Who would have checked a 12 charge. Every month I have two pages of small charges from home depot, that auto parts store and the like . It is the big charges that I questioned. I will be checking everything from this point forward.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
well it took a month and a couple of threats but they say they are going to refund my money, but I have canceled the card to keep them out of my credit. I'll have to see how it plays out.

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
Classmates is one of the more popular sites supporting this type of scam. I was surprised. It's where they sneak you into signing up for something you don't want. A similar tactic is the usage of fine print :)

Last edited:

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I have had similar situations happen twice. Once on a credit card and once on a debit card. I now have a low limit card that I use for online purchases only. I still have the higher limit card, but it is for emergencies only. The debit card never leaves my hands. ATM's and in store purchases only. Never, NEVER use your debit card as a credit to pay for your meal at a sit-down restaraunt where they take your card somewhere and then come back with a receipt. It is very easy for scammers to have the tools they need somewhere discreet, swipe your card, and BAM! You've been hit. Normally it is small charges, now, but you never know.

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
My credit card bank has a feature called "Shop Safe". I go to their website and create a "Virtual Card number" It is only valid for a maximum of 90 days and you can make the credit limit whatever you want (up to you limit).

If I am making a phone or internet purchase for say $100.00 then I will make the limit $101.00. This keeps the vendor from charging me too much and should someone steal the number then it is only good for $1.00 and only for 90 days. (You can make it for the exact amount if you want to.)

It is a totally different card number each time and has nothing to do with your "real" card.

Might want to see if your bank offers this service. It's easy and you just do it online.

.shft.

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
The credit card company did it to me and thousands of others a couple of years ago . For years the credit card statement came in the same style of envelope and all of a sudden they changed the style of envelope so that it looked exactly like the junk-mail that the banks usually send out . Of course the junk mail always go in the garbage so I didn't get the statement . When I went to check why I didn't get my statement I found out that I had already missed the payment deadline and had to pay the non payment charges and a couple of months of nonsensical interest charges .

...... D.J.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Personal checks are soon going to be a thing of the past but while they're still around watch out for those companies that authorize checks. One of them once charged me double for a gasoline purchase. They took my check then accessed my checking account and took the same amount so I paid twice for the same tank of gas. I fought it and won but it took a lot of my time and many phone calls and faxes to them to prove that it was they, not me, who made the mistake. Also, watch your credit card statements for due dates. They have all reduced the time, some being due just a few days after you recieve the statement. If you're late they tack on substancial late fees.
And here's another little known scam. When you gas up your car watch the pump. What happens is you stop pumping at let's say, $25.00. You put the gas nozzle back in the pump and either go in to pay or if you're paying at the pump check the amount. The pump often adds a penny so your purchase is now $25.01. Not important you say? Just think what that means to the gasoline supplier or the station owner after several hundred people purchase gas and pays an extra one cent...adds up quickly when you're talking hundreds and thousands of customers nationwide. If the pump does it to me I go in the station and take a penny out of their take-a-penny-leave-a-penny tray or if they don't have one I raise heck, loudly, until the cashier gives me a penny just to get rid of me.
Tom

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
I use PayPal, that way nobody gets my credit card number except PayPal. Of course, you have to watch out for people trying to get your PayPal pw...

Another popular technique is the price of hookup cable at most major electronics retailers. Get the TV on sale, but bend over for the HDMI cable.

Last edited: